Nintey 200tdi engine conversion

20 minutes ago, western said:

If you can go for a new galvanised bulkhead, 

Yes that's the intention, the one linked is pressed rather than welded, galvanised and made in the  UK. The price looks good if they can deliver at a reasonable price.

It’s a pity, after all your impressive efforts, but at least you gave it a superhuman try.  You’ll never sit there wondering if you spent more than you needed to and made a poor choice.  Sometimes things are just too far gone, and you can’t tell until very late in the game.

• Like 1

No experience with that bulkhead, but I have been in the office in Liverpool and I really liked it. They don´t have a classical shop, but only a office to trade with parts. I´d really recommend them, they are competent and helpful

Just a supplement.

I was on my way to visit Scotland. In their shop (which was really hard to find) I met two girls and a guy. My main goal in Scotland was to visit Islay and the distilleries there. So we started a smaltalk about whisky. I wanted to go to Speyside as well and the guy told me, he likes the Speyside whiskys a lot. The two girls in the office had a lot of fun, when I said that I prefer the Islay whiskys, because the Speyside are for girls 😊

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

It’s a pity, after all your impressive efforts, but at least you gave it a superhuman try.  You’ll never sit there wondering if you spent more than you needed to and made a poor choice.  Sometimes things are just too far gone, and you can’t tell until very late in the game.

Yeah, unfortunately it is far too gone, and as much as I'd like to repair it, it's not worth the time spent on it. I'd d rather spend some extra money and have it on the road sooner.  

5 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

No experience with that bulkhead, but I have been in the office in Liverpool and I really liked it. They don´t have a classical shop, but only a office to trade with parts. I´d really recommend them, they are competent and helpful

But I think they do manufacture their parts or at least have someone local do it for them, not foreign import.

• Like 1

Why not get a new galvanized bulkhead from France ?

There is an importer for both galvanized chassis (MAER in stock) and bulkheads (DDS and Richards).

I think they have one in stock and transport / duties would be less perhaps..

Give Richard a shout on "message@4x4chassisetpieces.fr"

You never know - perhaps that would work for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Arjan, will contact Richard and ask for a quote. 

Got a quote from SP4x4, that is £1200 delivered for a galvanised one. That would be around €1650 incl tax, I'm happy with that compared to the €3400 quoted locally! So I will definitely import one either from the UK or somewhere else.

29 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

There's a lot to be said for just spending the money to move along with actually enjoying it - and hopefully a galv one will last forever so the job is done and gone.

Ye the thing is, it's the bulkhead, something I would not be looking forward to take apart again in the near nor distant future. Besides that, I have plans for the truck which keep on getting shelved. I'd rather start enjoying it sooner, life is short!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, muzaz said:

I'd rather start enjoying it sooner, life is short!

When I rebuilt the 109 the intention was to take it all apart again when I had a little free time and get the chassis & bulkhead galvanised... that was 15 years ago :ph34r:

• Haha 3

I know that feeling! 25years ago I had an 88" series 3, lots of fun and good memories! Bought a 200tdi engine as an upgrade, but before swapping engines I wanted to give the truck a "refurbish" and rebuild the engine.

Well I took the engine apart but never but it back together again till this year, 15 years later! And the series 3 ended up garaged for ages. Sold it off for peanuts somw years ago to make space.

Not repeating the same mistake, I'm older now! 🤣

That seems like a very interesting price, delivered into Malta !

Hope all Customs formalities etc are included as they do seem to add up for stuff from the UK coming into the EU.

Please keep us updated.

19 hours ago, Arjan said:

That seems like a very interesting price, delivered into Malta !

Hope all Customs formalities etc are included as they do seem to add up for stuff from the UK coming into the EU.

Please keep us updated.

Bit the bullet and placed the order, it has a 3 to 4 weeks lead time but thats ok. Enough time to take the bulkhead off and tidy the chassis with a lick of paint!

Importing from the UK is not that bad tbh. Vat is not charged from the UK, I get charged the local rate on arrival which is 18%, 2% cheaper than the UK rate. The other costs are handling fees from the courier, which is just around €15 and duty. Duty on UK origin items is free, for the rest it would be around 1%.

The only downside is the shipping costs, which are normally too high. In this case tho it was worth while considering the local costs. I might tempt myself to start selling them!! 🤑

• Like 2

On 3/11/2024 at 5:23 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

When I rebuilt the 109 the intention was to take it all apart again when I had a little free time and get the chassis & bulkhead galvanised... that was 15 years ago :ph34r:

Life has a habit of making temporary solutions both less and more temporary than intended - time for a better repair gets harder to find, but the repair lasts less well than hoped…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Life has a habit of making temporary solutions both less and more temporary than intended - time for a better repair gets harder to find, but the repair lasts less well than hoped…

It only took me ~10 years to move the "temporary" dashboard off the ceiling :lol: and I still haven't fitted the winch I bought at Sodbury circa 2006 :ph34r:

When we bought the ambulance there was strong temptation to take it off the road and do a load of work but we decided to run it as-is and use it, fixing/improving as we go, so far we've had about 30,000 miles of adventures all round Europe in it and I'm not sure we'd have done half of that if we'd been busy doing a restoration on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

To be fair I only get stuck when @Escape turns up so it's a couple of times a year on average :lol: and last time I was not going to wade through 1m deep ice-cold water to operate a winch anyway :P

It is pretty fair to say that winches encourage drivers to get into trouble in the first place, and it may be that the extra weight sometimes compounds a situation.  But if travelling alone, they’re still a prudent addition.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

But if travelling alone, they’re still a prudent addition.

I still think they're unnecessary weight & cost for most overland builds - plus they're always on the front bumper which is usually the last direction you want to go if you're stuck.

37 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I still think they're unnecessary weight & cost for most overland builds - plus they're always on the front bumper which is usually the last direction you want to go if you're stuck.

For a lot of cases, I agree they’re unnecessary.  I also entirely agree that rear mounted would be far more useful for self-recovery, but mounting is more difficult unless you are a skilled and equipped with fabrication equipment.  How many retail kits have you seen for a rear mount for a Series or Defender?