Nintey 200tdi engine conversion

Hi, I started the process of replacing the 2.5na out of my 1988 Nintey to replace it with a disco 200tdi. So far so good, engine is out and now I'm preparing for the installation.

I have a question regarding the engine mounts. Is the 200tdi a straight fit or I need to do alterations to the brackets on the frame and the engine? Is it just a matter of taking the bracket and rubber damper off the 2.5na and fitting it to the tdi?

Thanks Chris

Thank you. Just what I needed! The original mounts set up should be fine then. Will replace the gearbox rubber dampers as they look a bit deformed, the engine mounts look fine, still solid - will keep them.

Get a new set of engine and transmission mounting rubbers from Glencoyne or Emberton Imperial - they reduce the Tdi vibration but Gen Parts and cheap aftermarket rubber’s don’t.

Fit a new clutch and spigot bush before installing the Tdi - they are inexpensive jobs that save a lot of trouble later.

• Like 2

^^^as above. I'd also advise changing the rear crank seal with a genuine one while the engine is out. Quite a straightforward and quick job with the engine out but a right pain with the engine in.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Get a new set of engine and transmission mounting rubbers from Glencoyne

This! I did the same conversion and bought Britpart engine mounts, jesus christ, the whole body was shaking!! On first start-up after months of rebuilding I was horrified, did I make a bad choice with the 200tdi? What a trembling monster! Wasn't fun to drive at all. After some advice I bought the Glencoyne engine mounts and you know, there are some moments in life you never forget, well that first start-up after the Glencoyne mounts is a moment you never forget, no trembling whatsoever! 

• Like 1

Don't forget you need to move some bell housing studs and fit new bolts through the flywheel housing at the bottom you need to either countersink or counterbore the holes depending on the bolts you use.

You'll also need a Steve parker down pipe for the turbo.

IMAG1428.jpg.95fdad99e238442043e329c7433c0763.jpg

It is possible to use the viscose fan on some but often it fouls the steering box and pipework.

IMAG1429.jpg.2784334b1712734acfb10a59acae0f25.jpg

Top pic is a 90 was a td bottom is a 110 was a n/a not that it makes a difference.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up, really appreciated!

Was going to keep the original rubber engine mounts as they looked like new and the 2.5na was really smooth running, no vibrations etc...but I'll take your recommendation and get a new set. The tdi must be a different beast!

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Don't forget you need to move some bell housing studs and fit new bolts through the flywheel housing at the bottom you need to either countersink or counterbore the holes depending on the bolts you use.

You'll also need a Steve parker down pipe for the turbo.

IMAG1428.jpg.95fdad99e238442043e329c7433c0763.jpg

It is possible to use the viscose fan on some but often it fouls the steering box and pipework.

IMAG1429.jpg.2784334b1712734acfb10a59acae0f25.jpg

Top pic is a 90 was a td bottom is a 110 was a n/a not that it makes a difference.

Mike

Thanks, yes I modified the bell housing already as I had read somewhere it needs  work to it, went for counter bored holes. 

20230206_144927.thumb.jpg.100ba2e10c35c288ac16c26c36624f90.jpg

2 hours ago, monkie said:

^^^as above. I'd also advise changing the rear crank seal with a genuine one while the engine is out. Quite a straightforward and quick job with the engine out but a right pain with the engine in.

I agree, l hate oil leaks, the 2.5 leaks from every orifice it has! The tdi hopfully won't leak, I had it completely overhauled and all seals are new.

20230207_123944.thumb.jpg.21345e3323f3b5ba2173878b0f1c3478.jpg

The exhaust system will need replacing or I can keep the existing one ( apart from the down pipe) ?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, muzaz said:

The exhaust system will need replacing or I can keep the existing one ( apart from the down pipe) ?

i would change the exhaust , the 200tdi exhaust is much bigger diameter. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, muzaz said:

Was going to keep the original rubber engine mounts as they looked like new and the 2.5na was really smooth running, no vibrations etc...but I'll take your recommendation and get a new set. The tdi must be a different beast!

You would be amazed at the difference.  It’s all down to the direct injection.  I had a 12J on the square section SIII diesel rubbers and it ran smoothly.  The 200Tdi went in on those and it was horrific.  I tried Gen Parts 200Tdi rubbers with little benefit, tried increasing idle rpm with some improvement, bolted large weights to the engine (including the front diff mass damper from a RRC), all with limited effect, then I fit the Glencoyne mounts just to the engine and it was transformed.  I have another pair waiting to go on the transmission, which is still on the SIII diesel mounts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

I was going to suggest the td5 exhaust as I have, however mine is the 110 length and wasn't sure about the 90 version.

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

You would be amazed at the difference.  It’s all down to the direct injection.  I had a 12J on the square section SIII diesel rubbers and it ran smoothly.  The 200Tdi went in on those and it was horrific.  I tried Gen Parts 200Tdi rubbers with little benefit, tried increasing idle rpm with some improvement, bolted large weights to the engine (including the front diff mass damper from a RRC), all with limited effect, then I fit the Glencoyne mounts just to the engine and it was transformed.  I have another pair waiting to go on the transmission, which is still on the SIII diesel mounts.

My experience mirrors this. I had a 19J on what I guess were original rubber mounts from 1988 on my 110. The 19j was smooth running in comparison to a clattery 200tdi, so just about got away with it. No chance with the 200tdi conversion. I got a set of the Glen Coyne mounts on the engine and gearbox... The difference was amazing.

Took your advice and placed an order for a set of gearbox and engine mounts from Emberton Imperial. Will compare to the originals and report back.

5 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I was going to suggest the td5 exhaust as I have, however mine is the 110 length and wasn't sure about the 90 version.

Mike

Td5 exhaust...interesting, what's the advantage? is it easier to fit? I'd still need the Parker down pipe?

• Like 1

You need the Steve parker down pipe unless you change the turbo to 300tdi but I think you then have an engine mount clash instead.

The td5 exhaust is either the same size as the 200tdi exhaust or slightly bigger. The td5 has a better route on a 90 I believe. I went td5 because I needed a rolled end on my tail pipe for IVA and I wanted it to exit out the back.

Mike

Thanks Mike, will see what I can source locally. I like the SP downpipe but it's gonna cost a bit more than I like when I include shipping and taxes.

On another note, in another post I mentioned I had an issue with the gearbox mainshaft. It was suggested I could get away with welding the splines and filing them, however I opted for a rebuild. 

On 6/6/2023 at 9:40 PM, miketomcat said:

You need the Steve parker down pipe unless you change the turbo to 300tdi but I think you then have an engine mount clash instead.

The td5 exhaust is either the same size as the 200tdi exhaust or slightly bigger. The td5 has a better route on a 90 I believe. I went td5 because I needed a rolled end on my tail pipe for IVA and I wanted it to exit out the back.

Mike

Are these td5 exhaust parts what I should be looking at?

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/front-pipe-da4348-wcd000960-wcd000500-wcd106210-bm70660-p-3762.html

And

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/rear-silencer-diesel-except-australia-from-2007-from-ea449962-lr066423-p-28474.html

A Td5 exhaust is 2.5” and the 200Tdi is 2.25”.

You'll need to make a custom piece up to adapt to the later exhaust, but it is much better as above. I get basically no exhaust noise in mine now the Td5 centre/rear section has been fitted, rather than the classic Tdi motorway boom of old. 

On 6/9/2023 at 10:44 PM, miketomcat said:

In short no. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/landrover-defender-90-td5-exhaust-system-middle-back-inc-fitting-kit-98-06-/255571676526?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p4429486.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

You will need a bit of the front pipe to connect to the SP down pipe. But it will depend on what you do for a down pipe.

Mike

Sorry for hijacking the thread here, but would this exhaust be suitable to fit a 1993 90 with a 300tdi fitted?

I can see my exhaust is getting tired in places and as mine is a "bitsa" I can't use the reg/vin to get an exhaust!

Many thanks if you can help. 

Mick 

The 90 and 110 are near enough the same from 83 to puma it's just bracket difference's and engine/gearbox configuration. So most mid and tail will fit as in shape you just may need to change or mod brackets to hang it. The front is where it all gets tricky, they changed the diameter several times and the position of the turbo/exhaust manifold outlet moved in the engine bay.

Mike