Practical off road toy

jules

The Range Rover is ready to start and its basicly a blank canvers

If you had a clean sheet what would you have,

what would you do to make a practical truck

you could take mates out laning in

take the dogs out it for walks

go out to play days and still have challenging drive..

Jules, depends how much you want to spend but I'd say that, given you've got a pair of well built up axles, a set of 35" BFG Muds (will last forever and good all round performance), all the ususal underbody armour (diff gaurds, steering gaurd, fuel tank gaurd and rock sliders), a set of those fibreglass arches (look good), decent bumpers front (with bull bars to protect the wings) and back and bog standard +2" OME suspension. You've then got a vehicle that you could use everyday but will keep up with most at the weekend.

33x12.50's in a nice aggressive tread or 255/85 BFG's depending on how much road mileage you intend to do.

+2 inch suspension lift and arches cut to suit. If you are using an LSE - keep the air suspension, and fit bigger air-springs.

No towbar and a tucked up exhaust - I'm assuming a bobtail is out because of the dawgs

Steel bumper front'n'back with decent recovery points

Rock sliders

Snorkel and breathers - doesn't matter if its a V8 - accidents happen.

Dan bars and relocated steering damper

Factory waterproof seat covers

Some decent mats and no carpets

Relocate ECU if its under the drivers seat

Heated front screen to avoid misting up

Idea behind all that lot, is the vehicle should stay in one piece and not get hung up everywhere.

Something I've been contemplating for my daily driver, is a heavy duty cargo barrier. Made out of say 1" tube, tied into rear seat belt mounts etc. Should add quite a bit of strength without going to the expense/hassle of a full cage.

No towbar and a tucked up exhaust - I'm assuming a bobtail is out because of the dawgs

Nah get a harman ress one so can take the tow bar of easy and replace with a nqatio or a winch even. Lot better and tidy

Jules will still need a tow bar, so that will be a must

First on the list has to be a fuel tank guard. It's not nice clouting the ar$e end on a rock with 19 gallons of finest four star sloshing around! Southdown's guard is bomb proof and the drop down detachable tow kit will suit your purposes. You can get a recovery eye to put in the same jaws too (for when you have to recover someone else of course - us Range Rover drivers don't get stick do we.... :huh::lol: )

After that, diffs, sills - get extra wide tree sliders to try and keep the doors a reasonable shape - the standard tree sliders are no way near wide enough - ask me how I know! :lol:

I know people have different opinions on steering guards, but with the RR's lower approach angle than a 90 or 110, I think it is money well spent.

After that it's a winch bumper on the front and a (probably custom) bumper on the back that offers some protection for the extremely vulnerable rear lights.

Justin_2_City_View_07.jpg

This is the sort of truck I want.

I have a full set of 33/1250's MTR's Won at Billing

Snorkel (Breamach Second)

set of arches on the way from Bearmach (firber glass its a all rounder not a dogum :rolleyes: )

8274 but need a bumper???

need a rear bumper

totaly for got about fuel tank thanks guys

need rock sliders mmmm LSE??? may have to make them.

the second one the wife has just bought which is mot's and taxed has had its air bags taken off and already has springs.

Your right andy I don't want to chop the back off or there will be no room for the dogs or stuff when it takes to LeMans this year.

I do really like thouse Aus bumpers but for a old Classic there a lot of agro to ship over but SHMBO like them so when the money comes from the racer or the classic I may well order a set.

I have three steering guards in the garage non of which are sodding RRC there all Defender.

were do I find a cheap roof light bar I have loads of KC's and IPF lights that need useing

Its got to look nice, I don't want to drive round in a old shed.

(the wife is a corprate Bank Director bla bla bla so she will not use it if it looks carp and part of its job is as a back up for when the her freelander or my disco is off the road)

Snorkel and breathers - doesn't matter if its a V8 - accidents happen. sorted

Dan bars and relocated steering damper need

Factory waterproof seat covers leather seats sorted

Some decent mats and no carpets But I like carpet

Relocate ECU if its under the drivers seat good thinking

Heated front screen to avoid misting up got that

Justin_2_City_View_07.jpg

I have three steering guards in the garage non of which are sodding RRC there all Defender.

were do I find a cheap roof light bar I have loads of KC's and IPF lights that need useing

Its got to look nice, I don't want to drive round in a old shed.

(the wife is a corprate Bank Director bla bla bla so she will not use it if it looks carp and part of its job is as a back up for when the her freelander or my disco is off the road)

try and swap one of the defender ons for a rrc someone out there must need one for a defender and have a rrc one sat around.

could get one of those ones they have on the front roofs of disco's

or these Roof rack 1

this one may be hacked to fit roof rack 2

Dave at Southdown will make you an 8274 bumper. You will need to relocate oil coolers and Air con stuff to fit it in tightly though.

Look at the front of Tangoman's wagon for an example.

If you've got leather seats you don't need seat covers - ummmmmm wipe clean leather........ :moglite:

Unfortunate staining there Mr Bosh ;)

Don't even go there :) . Me and jules had range rovers in years gone by, before we were both married and when we were tarts

Many a time would we bump into each other down a lane or in the middle of a field , in the middle of the night :D:D

Belive me range rovers were made for that :):):)