Disco td5 into 110

After a rather 'eventful' weekend in Wales @ Summer Sisters I now have a donor td5  form my Disco 2 to drop into my 110. The disco is an auto but I also happen to have a parts truck D2 knocking about with a manual R380 so my question for the more experienced is, what do I need to make these things all come together and live happily* in the 110?

Build pics to follow as soon as I get started 👍 and pic of upside down disco just after it happened 👎

PHOTO-2023-06-26-18-30-56.jpg

10 hours ago, miketomcat said:

As Louis didn't get to say it.....

You can't park there mate.

Am I right in thinking your 110 is currently a 300tdi but not originally. If so what gearbox is in there and if it's an R380 is it in the 300 position.

Mike

😂 Thanks Mike!

Yes its a 300 at the moment with an LT77 and it did have a 200 tdi originally. 

In which case you'll need:

Props, front, the disco front prop should fit but needs to be checked. Rear needs to be 300tdi 110 onwards (not puma).

Gearbox mounts and I think there's a cross member to.

Engine chassis mounts (you might be able to cut the disco mounts off and use them).

Td5 exhaust (it's bigger).

Air box? Not sure if they're different.

This is off the top of my head and assumes your going to put it in the correct position so you can use off the shelf parts.

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, miketomcat said:

As Louis didn't get to say it.....

You can't park there mate.

Beat me to it! :lol:

Welcome along Phil :D

I think you should be able to leave your transfer box where it is (or put the TD5 one in the exact same place) and retain props as standard, only risk is that may then put the engine in a non-standard position... up to you really, putting the TD5 in the "factory" TD5 location would theoretically make all the plumbing / exhaust etc. line up using standard TD5 Defender parts which has a lot to be said for it, but could be more work in other areas.

Your D2 R380 will be different to a Defender one (gearstick in wrong place) but I think Ashcroft sell a stick-relocation kit.

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Beat me to it! :lol:

Welcome along Phil :D

I think you should be able to leave your transfer box where it is (or put the TD5 one in the exact same place) and retain props as standard, only risk is that may then put the engine in a non-standard position... up to you really, putting the TD5 in the "factory" TD5 location would theoretically make all the plumbing / exhaust etc. line up using standard TD5 Defender parts which has a lot to be said for it, but could be more work in other areas.

Your D2 R380 will be different to a Defender one (gearstick in wrong place) but I think Ashcroft sell a stick-relocation kit.

I'm fairly sure you can't leave the transfer box where it is because the R380 is about 5 inches longer than than the defender LT77 and from memory the R380 is further into the engine bay to get the engine clear of the bulkhead. Either way I would put everything in the correct td5 position as it will make everything easier in the long run.

Mike

You will need a TD5 flywheel clutch etc and then use the discovery td5 R380 with a selector shaft adaptor and the existing 110 gear sticks. Weld the chassis engine mounts onto your chassis and then the discovery radiator and pipework should all match up.

You will either need to make your own loom from the discovery one or buy a ready made stand alone loom, you will also need a different ECU if you are not using the auto, whatever ECU you use either needs to be de-immobilised or you need an emulator in the loom.

You can also buy a shortened bell housing and engine mounts on eBay to use your existing 300 gearbox and chassis mounts if you wish.

In truth it may be more cost effective to sell the engine and box you have now and buy a complete manual setup unless that is the engine you have now is particularly good or you have fitted many new parts to it.

Will.

@muddy he currently has an lt77 not an r380 so the transfer box will likely need to move position. He has a disco 10p attached to a manual and a disco 15p with auto. I believe the plan is to fit the manual to the 15p and fit that in place of the current 300tdi and lt77 in the defender.

Mike

Ah I missed the LT77 bit! In that case yes you will need to move the transfer box forwards in turn needing a new transmission tunnel, floor plates and seatbox/bulhead flange. 

You can run and external 044style pump or get a td5 tank and pump assembly. 

Interesting project after a rather unfortunate incident.

Metal things have been mentioned.

The DII Engine ECU needs input from the DII BCU - you may want to try and find a Defender version to make it easier.

(P.S. Does that DII have cruise Control ?   Looking for the switches....)

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

The DII Engine ECU needs input from the DII BCU - you may want to try and find a Defender version to make it easier.

Only the Auto ECU is looking for extra signals I believe, the disco ECU can be configured to run a defender.

22 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Could I get away with picking up a defender bell housing and linkage and fit them to the disco's box?

On 6/29/2023 at 6:11 PM, Bowie69 said:

You could save all that bother and stick the auto in it.

Stop avoiding the question 😛 

I could, but really don't fancy the extra expense of the compushift box from Ashcroft...tbh I actually really like the auto behind the td5 in the disco, with a slight remap its not quite a sluggish as it was. 👍