Rear winch tray options

henk

I'm looking for a neat solution to add a hydraulic milemarker to the rear of my 110 TD5.

I have a rear winchbumper like below but I find it too massive and does not go well together with my Southdown tankguard.

Chassis is galvanized with a 6mm rear cross member

Any ideas?

- Would a tank of a 90 leave enough space to add the winch behind the rear cross member?

- Winch tray connected to the tankguard so it is easily removable?

19%2015%2057.jpg

post-33-1186420203.jpg

As you say you have a TD5, then that means there's a large fuel tank directly behind the rear crossmember, so that space is ruled out for fitting a winch. On my 90 I had the same problem and so I have sat my winch between the chassis rails and just protrudes half the width of the winch. This is incorporated in an entirely new rear crossmember as seen here:

Having reread your original post I see that you have a galvanised chassis and so your probably not wanting to cut your chassis up! 

Is this for permanent use or occasional use as you could make a cradle that locks onto your tank guard and a couple of Anderson connector and you would have a quickly removable winch set up. I think Goodwinch might do that sort of thing.

https://goodwinch.com/product/goodwinch-portable-tds-12-0-winch/

This sort of thing, but they don't have many pictures of the set up.

Steve

On 9/15/2023 at 12:29 PM, steve200TDi said:

and a couple of Anderson connector

You're really not reading the post are you :lol:. Last time I checked Anderson didn't make hydraulic connectors...

But you can get hydraulic quick connects cheaper than big Anderson plugs.

@henk what do you mean neat? Neat by unobtrusive so it retains the original appearance of the cross member or neat as in doesn't modify it so plugs in as Steve says?

Personally I'd be looking to keep the winch hidden and not sticking out the back so my approach would be to mount the winch between the chassis rails even if that meant cutting bits out and reinforcing. When you say it's 6mm is that a C section style cross member ala Nige, myself and Black Sheep Offroad style?

With a 110 if you were concerned about fuel tank capacity then you can get extended tanks that fit up in the wheel arch so a smaller main tank coupled with that could probably keep the original capacity. I don't know if there are any off-the-shelf smaller tanks available as bolt in. @Stellaghost would have made one quicker than I've taken the time to write this out... 

I'd say a plug in cradle is nice for occasional use but they're not the lightest of things to lump about plus you've got to store it and then you'll end up leaving it behind when you actually need it. Plus there's a bit of extra faff with the hydraulics having to bleed off the pressure to connect and disconnect it.

Neat means not making the 110 longer than necessary.

cross member was made by Clive Lamb at the time and is really solid

I think I will try to sort out a 90 fuel tank in some weeks in Newbury and see how much space I have over

Edited by henk

8 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

You're really not reading the post are you :lol:. Last time I checked Anderson didn't make hydraulic connectors...

But you can get hydraulic quick connects cheaper than big Anderson plugs.

Ah yes.....I've reread the post again! Where's the face palm when you need it!

Steve

I don't think a 90 tank is small enough to allow a winch to slide in between although im not familiar with the mile marker dimensions. I would potentially be looking at mounting the winch in the load bay around the A frame cross member and use a false floor to run the rope through exiting above the rear Xmember and allowing some storage for ground anchor pins etc etc.

How about 90 underseat fuel tank with an 044 pump. Then some aux under wing/rear tub extended range tanks and do away with the rear 110 tank completely? Just have a transfer pump to move fuel to the main underseat tank?

Then you can fit the which behind the cross member?

I guess it really depends on whether you want "off the shelf" tanks.

If it were me I'd be putting the winch in place and then seeing about a custom tank. If that's not big enough then can always add the extra tanks as discussed. They just add more complexity with plumbing etc rather than just putting up with a slightly smaller tank.