Alternative to Double Din console

Naks

https://stingerelectronics-eu.com/product/land-rover-defender-10-inch-touch-screen-stereo-with-integrated-fitting-kit/

https://topvehicletech.com/products/land-rover-defender-2007-2016-10-stereo-upgrade-apple-car-play

Gauges.Upgrade your Vehicle radio with the HEIGH10 10-inch infotainment system featuring Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and DAB Digital Radio. Retain all OEM features, vehicle settings, and more including off-road and performance gauges. All in one easy-to-install, plug-and-play package. Please note: for non-navigation vehicles.

KEY FEATURES

HEIGH10 – 10 INCH TOUCHSCREEN

Featuring a high-resolution, 10-inch capacitive touchscreen with 16.7 million colours for a full visual experience, the HEIGH10® is designed to enhance screen size and infotainment features for drivers. The display and main tuner box offer a modular design, bolstering installation flexibility in space-limited applications and in some cases, even where no installation dash kit is available.

The HEIGH10 features Anti-Glare and Anti-Reflection technology for the best outdoor visibility. Personalize your display with customizable RGB illumination to match factory illumination, or create your own.

INTEGRATION

• The included dash kit and mounting ensure a seamless and factory-like installation, giving your vehicle’s HEIGH10 display a professional and integrated look.

• The vehicle-specific harness establishes a direct and secure connection between your vehicle and the HEIGH10, ensuring compatibility and optimal performance.

• The interface offers enhanced control over your infotainment system, allowing you to manage camera triggers while showing advanced vehicle gauges easily

Vehicle Gauges

Eight gauges on the screen

Save two display presets

Battery voltage

Oil temperature

Fuel level

Coolant temperature… and many more

Vehicle Performance

Speed

RPM

Current/best 0-60mph time

Current/best 60-0mph brake distance

Current/best 1/4-mile time

Vehicle Off-Road

Pitch

Roll

GPS coordinates

Compass

Altitude

RETAINS

• Climate control functionality

• Dashboard button functionality

FEATURES

• Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto™

• DAB+ Digital Radio tuner

• Access to your smartphones music and navigation capabilities

• AM/FM radio with PTY

• Built-in MicroSD card

• 2 USB rear inputs, 1.5-Amp output, HDMI input

• Handsfree Bluetooth 4.2 A2DP with aptX™ for handsfree calling and music streaming

SPECIFICATION

GENERAL

• Recording Resolution: 1024 x 600

• Screen Size: 10 inches

• Manufacturer’s Warranty – Parts: 1 year

• Operating Voltage: 9.0VDC to 18VDC

• Grounding system; Negative Ground

• Max current consumption: 10A fused

H10 DIMENSIONS

• Radio Module: 178 mm x100 mm x 116 mm (W x H x D)

• Display: 247.2 mm x 180.6 mm x 48.5 mm (W x H x D)DISPLAY

• 10-inch Diagonal

• 16:9 aspect ratio

• 1024 x 600

• Pixels: 1,843,200

• Active area 222.72 (W) x 125.28 (H) mm

• Operating Temperature (C) -20° to 70°

AUDIO

• Load impedance: 4Ω nominal / 2Ω allowable

• Continuous power output: 25W x 4ch/4Ω 20Hz to 20KHz, 1%THD at 14.4V

• Audio output level (max): 4.0V preout

• EQ: (15-band) 25Hz/40Hz/63Hz/100Hz/160Hz/250Hz/400Hz/ 630Hz/1KHz/1.6KHz/2.5KHz/4KHz/6.3KHz/ 10KHz/16KHz

• Gain: ±12dB (2dB/step)

• HPF: 25Hz/40Hz/63Hz/80Hz/100Hz/160Hz/250Hz

• Slope: 6dB, 12dB, 18dB

• Subwoofer Preout LPF: 25Hz/40Hz/63Hz/80Hz/100Hz/160Hz/250Hz

• Slope: 6dB, 12dB, 18dB

• Gain: -14dB to 7dB (1dB/step)

• Phase: 0 or 180

• Speaker level: ±9dB (1dB/step)

• Time Alignment: 0 to 133 step (inch/ms)

FM TUNE

• 87.9MHz to 107.9MHz

• Usable sensitive 0dB (mono S/N: 30dB)

• SNR: 65dB

AM TUNER

• 530KHz to 1710KHz

• Usable sensitive 0dB (mono S/N:20dB)

• SNR 58dB

USB

• USB 2.0

• Max current supply 1.5A

• USB Class: MSC (Mass Storage Class), and MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)

• File system: FAT32, NTFS

BLUETOOTH

• V4.2 dual

• 4dBm Class2

• 2.4GHz to 2.48GHz

CAMERA(S) VIDEO INPUTS

• NTSC OR PAL video formats

HDMI INPUT

• Supported HDMI Resolutions: 640*480p, 720*480p, 1280*720p, 1920*1080i, 1920*1080p

TOSLINK (OPTICAL)

• Output: 48khz Variable

BACKGROUND IMAGE (USER)

• File Format: JPG / PNG

• Resolution: 1024 x 600

• File size is not limited

AUDIO/VIDEO FORMATS AUDIO

• MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3 (.mp3)

• FLAC (.flac)

• MPEG-2 Advanced Audio (.aac)

• MPEG-4 Audio (.m4a)

• Windows Audio (.wav)

• OGG Audio (.ogg)

VIDEO

• QuickTime (.mov)

• MPEG-4 Video (.mp4)

• Microsoft AVI (.avi)

• MPG Video (.mpg)

• MPEG Video 1/2 (.mpeg)

• VOB DVD (.vob)

• Flash Video (.flv)

• JPEG (.jpg)

• CompuServe GIF (.gif)

• PNG (.png)

• JPEG (.jpeg)

• Bitmap(.bmp)

INCLUDED

• HEIGH10 10-inch touchscreen display/infotainment system

• Vehicle-matched radio mounting dash kit

• Complete the vehicle integration module

• Vehicle & radio specific plug-n-play harnessing

• AM/FM antenna adapter

• USB retention cable

• Stereo connection lead

3 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Even though it looks like a very nice upgrade, I did gulp at the price - £1,000.

Odds on that's a cheap android tablet/unit available from Aliexpress for $100 with an OBD dongle, and at most they've made a new moulding for the mounting.

I don’t think it looks any worse than the stupidly overpriced one.  I may well get one of those for the 109.  I presume the Google maps feature on these sorts or unit need to run it from your phone and just act as a fixed display for that?

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

I don’t think it looks any worse than the stupidly overpriced one.

Well......I'm not so sure, but it is entirely functional.ScreenBadTime.jpg.5d1fcefb8339aa088745d7b76de12ff2.jpg

I think you have two options for the nav, either to use the carplay/android functionality or just 'dumb' screen mirroring stuff. I'll have another play with it later as I haven't driven far enough to need the nav. I've just used it for the rear view camera and music so far, which it's done very well.

You do need to be careful with some of these units, this is the second type I went for. The first wanted me to download an app that would have 1000% told The Party what brand of socks I wear. That only really becomes an issue for the more advanced integration and the new one doesn't seem to want to do any of that. The first one was a better looking solution but was exactly 1mm too large to fit in the fascia with the centre removed and in fairness was good in every other way.

In the interests of transparency, I was inspired to find a larger/better looking screen after my post yesterday. Having had two units that both worked acceptably well, I took the risk on this one. It was available for £55 if you look carefully on the listing (all legit through ebay).

image.png.612fc622661d5c83301649d4a5053a0c.png

A bigger screen is better for the cameras and more visible at a glance, and I have the space around the fascia to use. I think the connectors look a bit suspect so if it's not a straight swap or works any way differently, it'll just go back.

Sorry Naks, complete derail to your thread.

Looks good to me.  

I do have similar concerns over privacy and apps.  I don’t want one that needs the phone connected to run nav, and would be using a card or dongle for music files.  I don’t care if the stereo tells Winnie where I am, but I prefer to keep my work apps, emails and messages away from it.  Phones are hackable, but most other Huawe are designed to resist it, not facilitate it or make hacking unnecessary!

On 11/26/2023 at 4:23 AM, ThreePointFive said:

Well......I'm not so sure, but it is entirely functional.ScreenBadTime.jpg.5d1fcefb8339aa088745d7b76de12ff2.jpg

I think you have two options for the nav, either to use the carplay/android functionality or just 'dumb' screen mirroring stuff. I'll have another play with it later as I haven't driven far enough to need the nav. I've just used it for the rear view camera and music so far, which it's done very well.

You do need to be careful with some of these units, this is the second type I went for. The first wanted me to download an app that would have 1000% told The Party what brand of socks I wear. That only really becomes an issue for the more advanced integration and the new one doesn't seem to want to do any of that. The first one was a better looking solution but was exactly 1mm too large to fit in the fascia with the centre removed and in fairness was good in every other way.

In the interests of transparency, I was inspired to find a larger/better looking screen after my post yesterday. Having had two units that both worked acceptably well, I took the risk on this one. It was available for £55 if you look carefully on the listing (all legit through ebay).

image.png.612fc622661d5c83301649d4a5053a0c.png

A bigger screen is better for the cameras and more visible at a glance, and I have the space around the fascia to use. I think the connectors look a bit suspect so if it's not a straight swap or works any way differently, it'll just go back.

Sorry Naks, complete derail to your thread.

Yes, that looks good.  Could you provide a purchase link, please?

Mike

Apologies, meant to reply but life is hectic. Glad you found it. 

I have now ordered a different unit to any of the ones above. Turned out the one I tried to buy is a Chinese seller pretending to be in the UK and it was going to take an age to arrive. 

I'll put an update in my thread at some point. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

, and at most they've made a new moulding for the mounting.

And that will be where the bulk of the cost is. That's a big moulding from an expensive tool (even if made in China) that would need quite a lot of sales to recoup the cost.
It does look like a tidy installation though.

On 11/28/2023 at 8:56 PM, Troll Hunter said:

Sorry, ThreePointFive.  Just re-read your post and seen the link to ebay.

Mike

It's a shame you're over there or I'd send you my unit. My new one has arrived and suits my needs so now I have one surplus. 

I suspect the postage is more than the unit cost, which would wipe out the benefit?

On 11/30/2023 at 11:16 AM, mickeyw said:

And that will be where the bulk of the cost is. That's a big moulding from an expensive tool (even if made in China) that would need quite a lot of sales to recoup the cost.
It does look like a tidy installation though.

I don't feel like that is true, these moldings are usually just created and then moulded in a 3d printed mold. That is simply not the costs.

From what I've noticed, and I feel like some of you are saying it as well, usually after a couple of months you see these mouldings and infotainment screens pop-up at a certain Chinese website for way cheaper.

The same chinese websites even do the new Defender 13 inch (?) screen on regular can-bus, and I'm planning on making a custom mold for that and fitting it to my revised Defender. But even those, are just regular infotainment systems where they slap on a 13 inch screen and a Android skin.

image.thumb.png.b6b80398cbbffbdcfbd60625c6563e51.png

Edited by Doorknob

On 12/1/2023 at 3:44 AM, ThreePointFive said:

It's a shame you're over there or I'd send you my unit. My new one has arrived and suits my needs so now I have one surplus. 

I suspect the postage is more than the unit cost, which would wipe out the benefit?

Many thanks for the thought, but you are right, postage and import duties would far outweigh the purchase cost of a similar unit over here.  Glad that you’ve got a suitable unit and I look forward to you posting details.

Mike

I'll keep this brief as it's Nak's thread for a completely different thing. The new screen was £32 from here but it seems I bought the last one - they'll no doubt relist.

First thing to address is no, any big screen in a Defender looks wrong. It's never going to blend in like it's OEM.

The sound is good enough for a 90, the touch screen functionality is very good and it does everything I need of it. The main/only purpose I want it for is as a screen for the blind spot and reversing cameras. At the moment I only have the blind spot camera as you can't manually cycle through them, so I need to get it wired in to activate with the reverse light.

For this purpose, it's perfect:

PXL_20231202_1221264742.jpg.9170bafe3a26998d1c18e86d0ef8e687.jpg

PXL_20231202_1221245152.jpg.14c286b83720a09b56fefd104256cc57.jpg

It fits well and doesn't obstruct the controls, I can and have operated the passenger side from the driver's seat. It looks like it's in the way but it's a trick of being stuck out from the fascia. I originally didn't lke this screen for its taper, but that makes the lower controls more accessible.

PXL_20231202_122117562.thumb.jpg.a7f3e86d05e5b880932ba2e0a8be4cb3.jpg

Hope that helps someone.

• Like 3

Many thanks for the details.  I’m sure that I can find something very similar over here, and I don’t expect hi-fi in my 110 300Tdi!  I’ll probably be using the screen mainly for displaying maps for off-roading, and of course for reversing.

Mike