Galvanized Capping Question

Probably a dumb question, but I honestly don’t know much about the stuff lol. 
Anyways, I’ve seen a few Defenders done up in a sort of “classic” resto-mod look with exposed galvanized capping along the tub and rear quarter. Probably not for everyone but I dig it. So then it got me wondering, does that exposed metalwork require any sort of extra TLC or steps involved to keep it looking fresh? Or being galvanized… does it just take care of itself? Just rivet it on and forget about it? 
Thanks! 

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

You are correct. Hot dip galv needs no maintenance, and lasts for many, many years. It will lose its "new" look though, and turn to a pleasing (to me) dull grey.

That’s good to know, thanks! 
So my next question, is it a social faux-pas in the Land Rover community to do that merely for a more classic aesthetic? Or does anything go… short of lowering it with 22” wheels and a silly spoiler 🤣

I’m sure I’m not really qualified to say whether it’s a faux-pas or not, but when I replaced the cappings on my 1994 110 SW I used galvanised ones and didn’t bother painting them. I did this in 2008 so I can’t actually remember my thoughts at the time - whether I intended to have them painted or not but either way it didn’t happen and it’s not going to now.

I compounded things later by fitting galvanised rear corners (where the indicators/brake lights go).

It’s all dulled down nicely, as smallfry said, and I’ve no worries about it. I’d post a pic but don’t have any on this device. They’ve been on now for what, 15 years, in a part of the world where our roads are heavily salted for 4 or 5 months of the year and I’ve no reason to think they won’t be as good as new for at least another 15!

• Like 1

My MY´83 has galvanized cappings and they still look fine. There is only litle rust in the inside corners.

Best is, that electrochemical potential of zinc is almost the same as aluminium. No separation necessary.

I didn´t even paint my new galvanized chassis.

Edited by Sigi_H
  • Like 1

No faux pas. I think they look "right". Too many people these days are colour coding and trying to make the vehicle look too car like. Been there, done that, cost a lot of money, and will not do it again. Its a utility truck !

21 hours ago, HeliRy said:

That’s good to know, thanks! 
So my next question, is it a social faux-pas in the Land Rover community to do that merely for a more classic aesthetic? Or does anything go… short of lowering it with 22” wheels and a silly spoiler 🤣

All Series (I, II & III) have galv capping from the factory. As do early 90/110/127 models. I think they only started painting them when the door handles changed sometime around 1986 +-

Here is an early 110 with the galv capping, note the rear light panel also galv, just like a Series vehicle.

Boots-474.thumb.jpeg.e7b35c0b50fcc8451bb6d742cf617dbe.jpeg

Also note the sliding windows and different coloured door top.

Here is an early 90 with the lift up door handles, but it has the roll down windows and 1 piece doors. They also has some galv trim below the window line.

Boots-459.thumb.jpeg.612cbd82ac22aca391e31ce7ee597d19.jpeg

On 1/11/2024 at 6:15 PM, HeliRy said:

Defenders done up in a sort of “classic” resto-mod look with exposed galvanized capping along the tub and rear quarter. Probably not for everyone but I dig it. 
Thanks! 

On 1/12/2024 at 2:52 PM, HeliRy said:

Welcome to the forum.  This is the place where you can find an incredible amount of help and technical information.  The Land Rover Community doesn’t do it for a more aesthetic look.  The galvanised cappings are a part of the original body as built by Land Rover.

Mike

13 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

All Series (I, II & III) have galv capping from the factory. As do early 90/110/127 models. I think they only started painting them when the door handles changed sometime around 1986 +-

I had a 1989 90 in Arran Beige, just before the name change to Defender came about in 1990, this had galv cappings, but were painted in body colour. Maybe they stopped the galv at this point ?

6 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

Welcome to the forum.  This is the place where you can find an incredible amount of help and technical information.  The Land Rover Community doesn’t do it for a more aesthetic look.  The galvanised cappings are a part of the original body as built by Land Rover.

Mike

I do like the look of them though ! 

My opinion is, that this old trucks are harmonizing with galvanized surfaces very well. Even my front winch bumper is not painted and the rear cross member of the chassis is visible. Together with blank aluminium parts it looks pretty good.

Here in the forum there was a thread about bulkheads. There is one picture with a unpainted galvanized one. 👍

I will do the same, when necessary. I "borrowed" the pic

unlackierter Bulkhead.jpg

Edited by Sigi_H