Good for another 2000 miles?

Your not the only one with tin worm pain

Old friend just called to see me and told me his 2011 Toyota hilux is getting scrapped, he was lucky his steering failed when he was going dead slow, on investigation mounting points on vehicle had rotted away and allowed steering rack to drop, while looking for the problem he also found most of the chassis steel hidden by the belly plate had rotted away, he is not a happy bunny...

Regards Stephen 

• Sad 2

There’s that Range Rover breakers up in Ceredigion, he’s got literally hundreds sat there in various states of repair. 

it’s close to the graig goch mine. Don’t have a contact number unfortunately 

7 hours ago, jason110 said:

There’s that Range Rover breakers up in Ceredigion, he’s got literally hundreds sat there in various states of repair. 

it’s close to the graig goch mine. Don’t have a contact number unfortunately 

Think that’s all P38s isn’t it? 

On 4/6/2024 at 12:43 PM, Peaklander said:

What happens now? I don't know anything about RR metals but I presume a new subframe is not available. Will you need to source a suitable used one?

I had a couple of good ones amongst my pile of bits.

Have now got the replacement back in, not too bad a job once it is stripped down. 

First the bare frame, then the diff, the left wishbones and hub as one unit then the right side. 

Just the brakes and the exhaust to go back on so hopefully complete before the weekend.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

I had a couple of good ones amongst my pile of bits.

Have now got the replacement back in, not too bad a job once it is stripped down. 

First the bare frame, then the diff, the left wishbones and hub as one unit then the right side. 

Just the brakes and the exhaust to go back on so hopefully complete before the weekend.

Gosh - you work fast! I have taken this long to just look at mine :)

On 4/5/2024 at 3:39 PM, Simon_CSK said:

Got the subframe on the deck. Not out yet because the rain came on but this is how bad it is

20240405_144451.thumb.jpg.4845206a17400b1f24913aa6422d9d94A1.jpg.bc50558a22a226c38e14c039b570dd25.jpg

For some reason the picture is upside down even tried to rotate the original file but still came in upside down. Maybe a mod could sort this.

Duly rotated 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reb78 said:

Gosh - you work fast! I have taken this long to just look at mine :)

Needs must. None of my other vehicles are running. I have two away getting work done, one is ready but cannot collect it because it still need a little work for the MOT and will need trailered home.

Am about 12hrs into it with another 4hrs to go to finish. Hopefully get it done this week. I need to get another car on the road though  as once it is MOT I have sold it to a freind.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 3:12 PM, Stellaghost said:

Your not the only one with tin worm pain

Old friend just called to see me and told me his 2011 Toyota hilux is getting scrapped, he was lucky his steering failed when he was going dead slow, on investigation mounting points on vehicle had rotted away and allowed steering rack to drop, while looking for the problem he also found most of the chassis steel hidden by the belly plate had rotted away, he is not a happy bunny...

Regards Stephen 

A freind of mine wanted to buy my Sport but wouldn't wait so went and bought a Highlux instead. Within one week the chassis had folded between the cab and the body. The eventually bought my Sport.

• Confused 1