Extended shocks - what are the current options?

So….my old Pro comps are well past it and now leaking so it’s time for a new set. The only option i can find (and that Keith Gott could offer me) was Britpart Foam Cell ones.

has anyone tried these, or is there anything else on the market now? I’ve drawn a bit of a blank.

thanks

Jon

What are you after? Or what do you mean by extended? Loads of longer shocks available these days. But there is a big difference between fitting a +2” and a +5” in terms of supporting mods. 

edit - just noticed this is the Series forum. Is this for a series? Although same question remains. What is your definition of “extended”?

Yes this is on my series - there is little on the market to fit a series now it seems. 

you used to be able to buy a number of different brands of extended travel shocks for use with parabolic springs, extended shackles etc

Jon

Once you're outside the standard or nearly-standard stuff it becomes a job of looking at what's out there that's got the right ends on it and the right sort of measurements & specs, my Bilsteins were just out of their aftermarket catalogue.

Well I decided to give the britpart shocks a go in the end. 

I managed to find the attached via the internet way back machine which gave all the dimensions of the various shocks available from years ago. Compared to my old pro comps the britpart ones actually have better travel on the rear, so that’s all good, and on the front the compressed length is actually shorter so I can remove the packers I have under the bump stops. They may be a little shorter on drop out but the shocks were never the limit on the front anyway. (As proved with a forklift some years ago)

anyway - quality appears ok, they come with polybushes which is nice. Handling on the road appears to be an improvement with reduced body roll. Yet to try them off road however.

hopefully this will help somebody in the future.

jon

• Like 2

For comparison the britpart ones are:-

front 305mm - 460mm

rear. 360mm  - 580mm

so compare quite favourably to the pro comp ones. With hindsight I will leave the packers under the front bump stops therefore. I tested it when the shocks were new whereas now they are completely knackered and I suspect the internal bump stops have fallen apart as they appeared to be shorter

Edited by Jon White
  • Like 1