Jeep managing to make the same mistakes as Land Rover...

Just happened across this story (since deleted from the site due to them being owned by a large dealership chain it would seem :rolleyes:):

https://web.archive.org/web/20240705201106/https://www.theautopian.com/owners-are-furious-about-the-jeep-jl-wranglers-corrosion-issues/

Looks like Jeep are not immune to problems that old Land Rovers suffer from, although they have somehow managed to make aluminium corrode within a few years of leaving the factory so much more efficient than the 1-20+ it takes for Defenders to bubble through :ph34r:

• Like 2

I've heard a number of garages from the US on Lubetube say 'yeah, it's a Jeep thing', normally referring to them suffering from an abundance of parts that fall apart or stop working.

Any place a particular vehicle is common the natives will have plenty to say about it's shortcomings.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Bit OT but how are you getting wayback machine to work? I just get errors trying to get on and 503 errors when I do get on and search, including via your link currently. 

Edited by reb78

They’re bloody awful cars to drive too. Got a free “upgrade” to one on a rental in California a few years ago. Never again - they drive just like a series landrover as you constantly fight the vague steering to try to keep the thing going in a straight line. Not much fun after a few thousand miles….

Oh it's just a little manufacturing variation apparently:

Model-year 2018 migration to an aluminum door design – a weight-saving measure – inadvertently coincided with, initially, occasional variation in the manufacturing process.

https://www.theautopian.com/the-jeep-wrangler-corrosion-problem-is-worse-than-i-thought/

Maybe they need to start using aluminium instead of aluminum :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had that discussion with some American oil industry engineers.  They were insistent on their pronunciation until I got them to repeat the names of all those other elements - francium, strontium, plutonium, uranium, sodium, caesium, calcium, helium…. They conceded, and one of them actually embraced the correction and swore he’d carry the torch! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

I had that discussion with some American oil industry engineers.  They were insistent on their pronunciation until I got them to repeat the names of all those other elements - francium, strontium, plutonium, uranium, sodium, caesium, calcium, helium…. They conceded, and one of them actually embraced the correction and swore he’d carry the torch! 😂

Don't get them started on solder and salmon 😁 

• Haha 1

The aluminium is rather ironic in that it was discovered by a Brit and named aluminum but then changed to aluminium later if I recall. The Americans misspelt it (aluminum) on some advertising and it was going to cost too much to change so it stuck.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sheffield said:

Is this sort of thing happening because engineers no longer have any control in companies? Money makers are in charge now, and they seem to care only about least cost and most profit.

It is in every industry. My view is that bean counters should be prohibited from running any organisation and be limited to the accounts department, with that a department subordinate to the main departments of the organisation.  They have shown that they can’t even be trusted to head up banks and accounting companies.

1 hour ago, Sheffield said:

Is this sort of thing happening because engineers no longer have any control in companies? Money makers are in charge now, and they seem to care only about least cost and most profit.

I think that happens everywhere - from Boeing to Crowdstrike you can trace almost every massive f***up to someone not listening to the people who actually make the thing.

• Like 1