A question for the Winch boys....

Se7enUp

I want to put a winch on my 90.

It will primarily be used for self recovery.

I have no intentions of doing any comp work, i just want something that will take (a bit of) the worry out of solo greenlaning.

My budget is a pathetic £300 (MAX!) and maybe another £50 for mounting it (bikini bracket or similar)

I know this sort of budget wont stretch to a Warn or ANother quality name brand.

I've been glued to eBay looking for a secondhand "named" winch but they just don't seem to come up for sale.

I really can't afford to spend more so know whatever I buy will be a bit of a compromise.

Any ideas of what to do, where to look or any recomendations for a cheap and cheerful solution?

This seems to be a very good price (it includes VAT) but the warranty sounds like its not worth the paper its written on! (no off-road use???)

Look harder . . . Branded winches regularly appear on ebay for sensible money, try looking for a Ramsey, Superwinch or Warn

Alternatively buy a new Superwinch EP9 - they can often be found for money around our budget, and have very good specs

Avoid the cheapo chinese winches like the one you've linked to - they are likely to let you down exactly when you need them

Lewis :)

Alternatively buy a new Superwinch EP9 - they can often be found for money around our budget, and have very good specs

Any idea where?

I've been looking for a while now and the "standard" price seems to be around £350-£400 (+VAT)

It may be worth you loooking on e-bay here in germany. There are a number of warn winches up for sale here e.g http://cgi.ebay.de/Land-Rover-Defender-WARN-WINCH-8000 Artikelnummer: 230102017669-This one is siezed up throught lack of use but here is another which is working Artikelnummer: 320090186927. The postage may be a little bit higher than that for the uk but not much.

Dixe

Any idea where?

I've been looking for a while now and the "standard" price seems to be around £350-£400 (+VAT)

Okay, try these few

Warn 8074 - I bought this one

Another 8074

Ramsey

Proper low end of the market M6000

M10000 or 12000

Tabor (warns cheapo brand)

M8000

There we go, that took all of 1 search through ebay :rolleyes:

Go to a show and enjoy the "discounts", barter etc,

Lead a horse to water, mumble mumble <_<

I'm already watching some of them :rolleyes:

The Tabor is over my budget but I was seriously considering it as it's a Warn and its brand new.

And yes, I will be at Sodbury with a pocket full on notes ready to wave at the winch dealers :D

If you are just worried about getting stranded and don't actually intend to be TRYING to get stuck why not get a Tirfor style hand winch? They are very cheap (I got a T-max hand winch from Bearmach) and while they are hard work, you can pull in any direction including sideways or for righting a rolled vehicle and doesn't depend on battery, having the engine running or anything else. You could get a hand winch for less than £200 which in many ways, while slower, is better than a powered winch on both ends...

http://www.t-max.com.au/products/hand_winch.html

The 1600kg version is the one sold in the UK, it is what I have (or had - just sold to somebody desperate to get one and I am ordering a new one!)

Hi I reckon Bogmonster has a good point ......I bought my tirfor , pulley block, anchor pin's & tree strap year's befeore I got my first winch - s/h LR hydro-hydro ever since-- still got the tirfor tho :P

good luck with whatever you choose

steveb

I carry mine as a backup for the main winch and in case I need to pull backwards - more of an insurance policy, I wouldn't want to use it every day as it is more of a PITA to use not to mention the effort required.

Bearmach supply it under part number BA 2620 if that is any help, and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than any of the other "cheap Tirfor clones" from Bowyer, Alfred Murray etc.

Being in the vehicle (or in the garage) it will last for years unlike a vehicle mounted winch which degrades on the front of the vehicle over time. Dad has a Tirfor which is older than I am and still works perfectly - its been used to pull a 7 ton 4WD tractor out of a peat bog once, anchored to 2 Land Rovers and another tractor.

Edited to add link to BM site

As a similar, related, along the same lines, type question.... ;)

What is the "real world" difference between an 8000lbs winch and a 9500lbs winch

(Please don't say 1500lbs! :D )

Would it make a huge difference when being used (self recovery) on a 3800lbs Defender 90?

The reason I'm asking is that the 8000lbs winch comes in almost £100 cheaper.

This seems to be a huge difference when the total cost of the 8000lbs winch is only £280

second hand come up?

Yep, a second hand Come-up or EP9 would be my first choice in your situation. They're a good winch for general recovery.

A Warn M8000 is also a nice little winch and they do come up cheaply. A Husky's also a very good winch - very reliable and pulls well but slow. You should be able to find both in good condition for your budget.

However, I'd agree with what Bogmonster has to say - a good hand winch might be a better start. The thing to remember with a winch is that they're expensive and really do need a second battery and split charge plus mounts can be expensive if you buy an off the shelf one. Also, if the winch isn't going to be used much you've got a big lump of metal sat out in the elements corroding away and which may not work when called upon.

For this sort of money a PTO Mechanical driven unit is a good possility

Fitting is nuts and bolts and a bit of welding (you know where I live)

Buying either one of these OR a decent Electric winch means they will always hold theri value and do the job, cheap electric winches are IMVHO a waste of money

Have you spoken to Phil at PG Winches, also shove wanted on the various LR Forums ?

Nige

For this sort of money a PTO Mechanical driven unit is a good possility

Fitting is nuts and bolts and a bit of welding (you know where I live)

Buying either one of these OR a decent Electric winch means they will always hold theri value and do the job, cheap electric winches are IMVHO a waste of money

Have you spoken to Phil at PG Winches, also shove wanted on the various LR Forums ?

Nige

The thing to remember with a winch is that they're expensive and really do need a second battery and split charge plus mounts can be expensive if you buy an off the shelf one. Also, if the winch isn't going to be used much you've got a big lump of metal sat out in the elements corroding away and which may not work when called upon.

Beg to differ there - if it isn't going to be used much and then only for greenlane recovery you certainly don't need to muck about with a second battery and split charge system, just make sure the charging system is working properly, and have 1 decent battery - I use a Td5 Discovery battery, genuine LR type, 110Ah capacity is more than enough. Competition work, a different story I am sure.

I never had a second battery on my old 90 with the 8274, nor did I when I had a Discovery 200Tdi with a Husky on the front, and I had that bogged to the doors on both sides in a swamp and pulled it out with the Husky and an ordinary 072 battery.

If you do go electric forget about anything less than 8000lbs IMHO.