Q-Max Punches - how handy

Since I'm intending to fabricate some sort of dash panel for the 109 I was pondering how to make holes for the dials - hole saws are all well and good but they're not terribly accurate. I acquired :rolleyes: a 30mm one of these from an abandoned cupboard at work and thought it was neat, and lo and behold after a bit of googling I found that they're not that expensive and you can get 52mm ones for putting gauges into panels:

Q-Max 52mm punch

R600111-51.jpg

Thought I'd share it as a useful alternative to hole-saws, and you can get ones that make square holes too (very handy for square switches).

Since I'm intending to fabricate some sort of dash panel for the 109 I was pondering how to make holes for the dials - hole saws are all well and good but they're not terribly accurate. I acquired :rolleyes: a 30mm one of these from an abandoned cupboard at work and thought it was neat, and lo and behold after a bit of googling I found that they're not that expensive and you can get 52mm ones for putting gauges into panels:

Q-Max 52mm punch

R600111-51.jpg

Thought I'd share it as a useful alternative to hole-saws, and you can get ones that make square holes too (very handy for square switches).

I've used them and my dad bought some on my advice, and provided that you are only trying to cut holes in thin material they do a good job. They also don't tear thin sheet like hole saws do. Well recommended.

Toby

I've used these in the past for making up one off bits of radio test equipment.

The large ones struggle a bit on 16gauge steel but in general they do a great job.

They get a bit pricey if you need a few though.

Have you tried a stepped conecut?

I'll try and find out some deatails and post them on here.

Bob :)

I've used these in the past for making up one off bits of radio test equipment.

The large ones struggle a bit on 16gauge steel but in general they do a great job.

They get a bit pricey if you need a few though.

Have you tried a stepped conecut?

I'll try and find out some deatails and post them on here.

As promised, Found them in the RS catalogue.

they're called a "multicut"

The photo didn't copy, look on the RScomponents site for one if you're interested

All products in this category HSS PG29 European conduit drill

RS Stock no. 325-6616

Quantity Price

1+ £46.90

S Y In stock

Priced as: Each

Dearer than I thought but they do work very well and leave a burr free finish on one side with just a bit of burring on the other.

They're big bucks from RS, as are stepped cone drills. Machine Mart do a set of 3 cone drills for £35 from 4-30mm between them. Frosts do a set of these punches for ~£45 but don't include the 52mm one which is cheapest from the first link I posted.

I actually don't like these for making holes when tidyness is the key. They tend to warp the panel as they pull through, especially if close to an edge.

I have made two dash boards recently, one from Ali and the second from wood (don;t ask- just didnt like the first ones layout, after spending >20 hours on it)

I used the adjustable rotary type of cutter in a pillar drill. Link

makes a clean hole in wood or metal, and is fully adjustable so you only need to buy one. and on top of that you can resharpen it.

I used the adjustable rotary type of cutter in a pillar drill. Link

makes a clean hole in wood or metal, and is fully adjustable so you only need to buy one. and on top of that you can resharpen it.

Works great in a fixed drill press but is 'orrible if hand-held in a power drill ...

AndyG