The plan starts to come together..

Guest MJG

Some of you will have read my various posts about a Series III LR purchase.

I'd nearly decided to give up on the whole idea because (and I quote what i've been told by PM's and in discussions with various suppliers):-

A Series is not a daily driver,

You can't get a 200 tdi in a Series without a shed load of problems,

You can't fit a Series front end to a 90 without a shed load of problems,

The MPG on a series petrol is horendous,

The diesel engined series are carp,

Series brakes are carp,

Series steering is carp,

The list goes on, but after all this I really do still want one. The final death knell was nearly sounded when I couldn't get to a pre-meet at Liveridge 4X4 today, to discuss a Series III/90 rebuild.

But later today things changed for the better. It occured to me that what I really need is not only a daily driver but also a Series III.

- Daily driver for going back and forth from work and the occasional long journey.

- Series III for weekends, greenlaning, general posing (including in the works car park occasionally!!) etc etc etc

I said to Jan when I sell my t-sport Corolla I need to get a Corsa/Clio to use as a daily driver and while I source a Series III that does not need too much work to get it to the spec. I am after

....in a moment of brilliance Jan suggests we buy back from our daughter the 02 Clio we sold her last year, which we'd had from new but she has never used since (she can't drive yet!!). Our daughter has always been very possesive over it and the longer she didn't use it and the more we suggested she sell it the more annoyed she got. I thought she would knock us back but actually she thought it was a great idea......happy to sell it back to us but not a 'stranger' seemingly.

So - just need to sell my t-sport, push the cash as agreed my daughters way for the Clio and use the balance to buy and 'embellish' the Series III I want.

Result.......

Get a 90, saves a lot of ****ing about !

Mo

Agree with that after having a S2A and now have a 90

Series are well nothing compaired to a 90

Even my partner who is completly anti L/R and cars generally thinks the 90 is a far better ride and more refined

BTW mines a converted disco 200TDi - reliable engine compaired to the series

Only my opinion you have to make your own mind up

Steve

Agree with that after having a S2A and now have a 90

Series are well nothing compaired to a 90

Even my partner who is completly anti L/R and cars generally thinks the 90 is a far better ride and more refined

BTW mines a converted disco 200TDi - reliable engine compaired to the series

Only my opinion you have to make your own mind up

Steve

I fully understand why you want a Series and put a better engine in to improve it as a daily driver, my daily driver is 300Tdi Defender now but I have owned 5 previous Series. 1 X 2 Series , 2 x 2A Series & 2 x 3 Series. They are just so much fun to drive and if my commute wasn't 80 miles I would seriously consider getting another, I wouldnt sell the Defender for the world though.

Hi folks - thanks, but the whole Series V 90 debate went on in my original thread (and in discussions) with suppliers. All of that was based on the fact that then I was planning on intending using my Landy as a daily driver.

Now that I've sorted the daily drive issue with the Clio purchase from my daughter this leaves the way clear for me to get the Landy I really want... :D

Just need to sell my t-sport now and the next stage of the plan kicks in......

Good thinking so far, like the plan. One comment though: I would ignore any suppliers and get some tools and a good garage if you havent got one.

It allows you to do it all with your bare hands, making the endresult much more enjoyable. With the money you have available, you can get a coilchassis with all the rights brackets etc. and it becomes pretty much a nut and bolt job.

One more piccy to keep your appetite:

Picture002.jpg

Daan

Good thinking so far, like the plan. One comment though: I would ignore any suppliers and get some tools and a good garage if you havent got one.

Daan

Thanks for that Daan - well actually you are not far off in what I intend doing. I am not planning on doing a full re-build/restoration but rather try to land one with a galvanised chassis and a good bulkhead and hopefully a decent egine (probably a 2.25 petrol)/transmission and use the balance to get it as I want.

I do have a garage but ours is a modern house and it is the size of a dog kennel..... it may just take a rolling/driveable 88" chassis (with bulkhead) though which would help - need to check that, not the end of the world though if it won't with the scope of work I plan.

Also last year I also started to pull together a set of tools as I wanted to help my other daughter out with the cost of running her Corsa (by me fixing it rather than bunging her cash!!) Doing this (and actually enjoying it!!) is partly what got me thinking again about doing my own maintenance - used to do this years ago but then a succession of lease/company cars via. my employer got me out the habit of doing it.

This idea then moved on and developed into the plan to get a series Landy, hence where I am today.

PS Nice Landy BTW - I do like that. B)

i like your plan, and it seems the most reasonable thing to do. but...

You can't get a 200 tdi in a Series without a shed load of problems

from the details found here and on other forums, it shows it's perfectly possible and done by many people, on their own garage. there are the clearance issues and cutting and welding a bit, but isn't it part of the fun? :D or am i missing something, about this?

anyway, go for the daily driver (Clio) and the fun driver (SIII)

but...

from the details found here and on other forums, it shows it's perfectly possible and done by many people, on their own garage. there are the clearance issues and cutting and welding a bit, but isn't it part of the fun? :

Yes it is - but some places I have rung have immediately done that 'sucking in through pursed lips thing' over the phone making it obvious they don't really want to go down that route and some seemingly would rather talk me into getting a vehicle I don't really want.

As to me doing it well that would be a struggle - I currently don't really feel I have the kit/skills/space/time to take on an engine transplant like that, though I would feel more confident tackling panel replacement, interior trimming and the like, which on a Landy as we know is just basically common sense and patience.

However I've just had a very positive initial response to an email I sent today to www.hayward4x4.com who are going to get back to me next week with a confirmed spec. and price for a Series with a 200tdi fitted, we'll see what that elicits. If this turns out positive I still haven't totaly binned the option of using the Series as a daily driver as the 200 tdi would certainly make it more 'useable' for day to day use it all really depends on the cost, I might not be able to afford to keep the Clio if this turns out more expensive.

They have just sold a refurbed/rebuilt Series 2 with a 200tdi installed so of course it can be done.

Globalhead/Dave on ORRP has almost finished rebuilding a SIII and has installed a 200tdi. Nice job, and it will be up fore sale when it's finished.

Cheers duly noted, thanks.

I think as i said in the previous thread, look for a Series(2,2a,3) that has had an 'old boy type' resto done on it, one who has done it for love,,hopefully with a galv chassis etc. This will save you masses of time, you will have a good basis from which to start and you will avoid all the aggro in the build/ resto. If it is a nice series in the begginning, it might be fine to use and enjoy as it is. Then spend time getting the 200tdi and bits necessary to convert it. If it is a nicely restored Series you might enjoy it as it is, without the added pressure of having to rely on it due to the clio. Get a nice one, as that is what your heart says, enjoy it, get to know it, then learn from it, what you want to modify on it and how to go about it.

You might find that in the summer, a nice purring 2.25 with parabolics and nice seats is all you really want!

I have to say that i have a company lease car daily driver Civic, this has meant that i can play landys at the weekend, if it breaks, it can be left with no pressure. Thats the only reason i could justify doing a hybrid, no way could i do it for daily use, esp with a 3.9 V8.

As to me doing it well that would be a struggle - I currently don't really feel I have the kit/skills/space/time to take on an engine transplant like that

i understand you, specially about the space and time. it's not a "one-day" job and not everyone can have a dismantled engine all over the place ;)

If this turns out positive I still haven't totaly binned the option of using the Series as a daily driver as the 200 tdi would certainly make it more 'useable' for day to day use it all really depends on the cost

to make it even more usable, cost-wise, the sIII 200tdi could use a mix of (straight or waste) vegetable oil and diesel (after some mods, of course)... and it would make it more "environment-friendly" ;)

I think as i said in the previous thread, look for a Series(2,2a,3) that has had an 'old boy type' resto done on it, one who has done it for love,,hopefully with a galv chassis etc. <SNIP>

Mmmm the plot thickens. As I have nothing better to do due to being on holiday I've been down to the dog kennell (our garage!!!) and measured up.

Whilst it will in no way be big enough to work on a rolling SWB chassis it will be big enough to contain one between work in progress. I've go a door width of 84" and an available length in the garage of 175". It could be more if I got rid of some junk and re-arranged things at the garage end.

According my Haynes manual that arrived today a SWB chassis is 134.6" long and 60.5" wide. I am assuming standard wheels/hubs don't protrude much (if at all) beyond the chassis width.

The garage door will be no way tall enough to get a fully built Series though I reckon I would be OK until the point of fitting the screen, doors, top sides and of course the roof.

The challenge of course would be where to keep all the old re-usable bits as they come off and the new bits as they wait to go on. Of course I could operate a really slick J.I.T. stock control system like they do at Land Rover but in reality I know it ain't going to work like that. :rolleyes:

The biggest job if I went on this route would be to convince SWMBO that it would be really nice for her freezer and tumble drier to share their space with a partly built Series 2 or 3 ........compared to that - re-building one will be a doddle... :blink:

Can you extend the garage backwards, or at least put a lean to shed across the back, on the understanding that afterwards you would replace it with a lean to greenhouse (if that sort of thing earns you Brownie points)?

Would changing the door from an up and over to a side hinged help with the access / egress clearance problems?

Sorry, I just plucked those from the air, I haven't seen any of your posts outside this thread, so have no idea on your current garage arrangements, apart from the fact that it's small :-)

Cheers.

With your garage issues, and space limits, i understand that you may struggle to do all the work yourself, this is part of the logic behind my suggestion.

If you are not already, join a local club, you will be amazed at the things people will help with, advise on, come around to visit and suggest.

If you work out the cost of doing the tdi conversion, as best you can, then see what you have left from the anticipated sale of the Tsport, you will hopefully have a decent sum that allows you to get a really nice series. Look at it another way, if its up together when you get it, you have saved half the 'hassle' in a rebuild. With the summer coming, you will be able to do alot of jobs outside. And if its tidy, you will keep SWMBO on side without an "unsightly mess of a darn landy"!!

Can you extend the garage backwards, or at least put a lean to shed across the back, on the understanding that afterwards you would replace it with a lean to greenhouse (if that sort of thing earns you Brownie points)?

Would changing the door from an up and over to a side hinged help with the access / egress clearance problems?

Sorry, I just plucked those from the air, I haven't seen any of your posts outside this thread, so have no idea on your current garage arrangements, apart from the fact that it's small :-)

Cheers.

Cheers David, but extending our garage backwards or putting a lean to on the back means we loose the kitchen. :o

The Garage is intergral to the house.

The door change idea may help a bit actually but not so much as to be worth the expense or hassle.

Thanks anyway.

Guest dew110CSW
According my Haynes manual that arrived today a SWB chassis is 134.6" long and 60.5" wide. I am assuming standard wheels/hubs don't protrude much (if at all) beyond the chassis width.

Probobly getting the wrong end of the stick here, but I thouht an SWB Series chassis was 88" long?

Probobly getting the wrong end of the stick here, but I thouht an SWB Series chassis was 88" long?

Yes so did I when I was first into Land Rovers..... :blink:

and if it was it would be even better as that would give me more room in the garage.... :D

However 88" and 109" relates to the wheel base, not the chassis length...... :rolleyes:

Edited to add - just as Simonb (yeee gods and a shed load of others) was posting at the same time.