MPG in france

Damn! You've discovered the mystery of french diesel - now you'll all want some!

Seriously though I don't know what the answer is. I usually do about 9litres/100km (which is the unit of measure that the French use for consumption rather than MPG) and which equates to about 30mpg which for a 14 year old 200tdi with a full Brownchurch roof rack (so the aerodynamics of a sub-Post Office) has always struck me as pretty good!

No explanation for it but I got 32 on a run from Charente to Calais with my LR (200tdi)...best I get here is 28-30 .Mind you as Al says in GB you're lucky to get an hour at a constant , in France it's a case of how big is your tank = x hours of a constant speed (apart from the looooong hills :lol: )

Steveb

French tarmac has less friction which means less drag as well as better road maintenance and better roads generally.

My Camper was better on fuel and much faster in france than it ever was in the uk.

I do think that being able to drive without any significqnt hold-ups, gear-changing and rolling at a constant speed helps raise fuel economy greatly. Where I live, it is not unusual to drive for perhaps 25km without seeing another car sometimes and I cannot remember the last time I was stuck in traffic......oh yes I can, it was in 2005 approaching the ferry port in Newhaven at 2330hrs!

Maybe the tarmac is flatter and there is certainly less hold ups but neither is the fuel in France the same poor quality stuff we gat!! :D

Our fuel is in general not only very dear but also of a lower grade / octane / whatever than French ( and Spanish ) fuel... I always get much better economt in my 110 when in France/Spain.

Same applies to petrols - it's like running on V-power or other brands of the same stuff but you don't have to pay the extra for it that we do.....

I say it is about time we had another fuel strike :lol::lol:

David

well as a corollary to your experience, when I headed to France in 2003, I found an increase in power when I first filled up at a French petrol station. At the time I just put it down to it being the first time the 110 had been run flat out for a few hours and had cleared out some carp.

Maybe it was higher octane diesel :ph34r:

As Jules said, I have heard that it's down to tarmac with lower kinetic friction.

The up sides are lower noise and lower fuel consumption, down side is longer stopping distances.

Though - I like Les's thinking!

Si

Making the annual off-road journey to and from France I have noticed an improvement in performance. I always fill up at the BP station near the docks before boarding the ferry for home. Coming off the ferry at Newhaven you are inevitably stuck behind a granny/camper/caravan/truck etc. for about 8 miles. As soon as you get onto the A27 there is a short uphill stretch with an overtaking lane which really shows up the difference in my 90Tdi! It pulls much, much better and I can pass people with ease which would otherwise be difficult/impossible. IIRC bio-diesel has more calories per unit than dino-diesel so perhaps the 5% makes the difference.

SteveG was telling me at the weekend that his RR TD6 developed a mis-fire while driving down through France to Spain. When he got back to the dealer in the UK they blamed the French diesel. Steve reminded them that they sell RRs in France too and so that cannot be the problem? :)

Chris

My 110 always performs better on french diesel compared to english. The improvement always stays when I get home until I have to fill with english rubbish.

This week I poured some Derv from my local filling station into a clear jug, It was milky white with what appeared to be fatty globules in it. The chipfat I get from the chippy is cleaner BEFORE I filter it.

My 110 always performs better on french diesel compared to english. The improvement always stays when I get home until I have to fill with english rubbish.

This week I poured some Derv from my local filling station into a clear jug, It was milky white with what appeared to be fatty globules in it. The chipfat I get from the chippy is cleaner BEFORE I filter it.

I think you're correct Simon. I'm sure that most if not all French diesel has a large percentage of bio-diesel that improves performance.

Steve