Disaster!

GBMUD

Chris. Sorry to hear your woes. As I'm shortly about to do the same job I just wondered about your improvised clutch alignment tool? What did you use and how hard was it to get it aligned properly?

My improvised alignment tool was actually a 1/2" socket extension bar, the fat end of which fits perfectly in the spigot bush. I then wrapped gaffer tape around the shaft to the inner diameter of the clutch. Then I dropped the engine and, since I had to dis-assemble and then go to Swindon to get a new oil seal, I borrowed Les's tool. F'nar. :) So I did not get as far as testing my tool this time round - it has worked before though. IIRC I once found that suitably sized 1/2" sockets would slide onto a 3/8" extension bar to make the perfect tool. Must have been someone else's tools though as mine did not slot together. :)

Jules, thanks for the offer. If only I had known, before I started, what I know now. :)

The engine is now back in the car with the new starter and the new clutch. Actually, that did not take long and apart from destroying the heater control cables :o went OK. Despite it's being hit by a falling engine the radiator seems to be OK.

I then went on to change the leaking front diff oil seal. Could I get the flange nut undone? Could I buffalo! Rattle bun, breaker bar with extension, nothing. Even with the car on ramps there was so much twist in the half shafts that I could not get enough swing on a breaker bar in the space available. Ended up with the breaker bar lodged against the hockey stick and the sandbag reversing the car to apply torque - you would not believe how far a Halfrauds breaker bar will flex without breaking! Fingers crossed the new seal will sort the leaky problem. :)

Between snacking on pies
I did have a small pork pie for my lunch. :)
morning tea time
Gallons of tea drunk, none spilled this time though. :) Now relaxing and cooling down with a nice glass of cider. :D

Sorry Mo, no picture of the engine pointing skywards... I was a little too flustered at the time to think of you. :P

A big thanks to all who have expressed commiseration, opinion, mirth, offers of kit after the event etc. Specially, thanks to Ralph, Richard and Les for their material help. ;)

Cheers

Chris

Glad you've got it sorted!

I had my own (less serious) mishap today. My yellow 90 has been sat on the drive for a couple of months waiting for me to be arsed to change the steering box (I bought the replacement in October!). I decided to wait for good weather - then when it came, still couldn't be arsed!

I decided to do it today having waited long enough. Started at about 9am and had it done by about 10.30. Much easyness with air tools compared to the last time. Turn steering wheel - and it turns and turns and sounds a bit crunchy.

It dawned on me I had had these symptoms before with an old steering box I thought I'd thrown away! But low! I had thrown it in the same pile as the new steering box and had gone and fitted the wrong bloody one!

Start again!

Si

simonr ----It dawned on me I had had these symptoms before with an old steering box I thought I'd thrown away! But low! I had thrown it in the same pile as the new steering box and had gone and fitted the wrong bloody one!

:hysterical::hysterical: don't think you wanted to do that :rolleyes: