Drilled or vented front discs

ibexman

My discs on the ibex are due for a change , are there any straight swaps for uprated discs ie drilled or vented would ther be any marked improvement in braking??????

Vented will require wider calipers

drilled will just fill with mud

I wouldn't bother personally

My discs on the ibex are due for a change , are there any straight swaps for uprated discs ie drilled or vented would ther be any marked improvement in braking??????

Yep,

I run vented drilled vented slotted on the front and slotted rears, braking is immensely more powerfull.

But, if I was doing it again I would not have them drilled, as the mud does get in dry and can act as a grinding paste, vented and slotted is fine, the mud comes out of the slots most of the time, go also for harder pads as they will last longer and can take it

HTH

Nige

Drilling is to reduce rotating mass of the disc, venting is to improve cooling of the disc to offset brake fade under prolonged or intensive use.

Drilling is not done to improve airflow apparently - I think this is a common misconception.

If you are not trying to reduce the mass of your axle (either in terms of raw weight, or in terms of rotating inertia), nor suffering from brake fade due to the discs becoming overheated, then you don't need either as far as I understand it?

I've been looking into brakes, and I got all this from the manufacturers, so don't shoot the messenger!

Makes sense to me though...

Besides for offroad I've heard it said a lot that carp gets stuck in the holes (like stones or whatever) and screws the pads if you use drilled discs.

Al.

do the current ones do the job? if so i would stick with them, cheaper, and you know how you stand with them and getting spares/replacements etc. i obviosuly dont know the ibex spec but i am guessing its running off road tyres. therefore they are prob your current limiting factor on stopping.

if the current setup locks the wheels up quickly now then surely discs that give better stopping ability will just achieve the same aim but a fraction of a second quicker. (would you notice this? i dont know)

granted for repeated hard breaking then sloted and vented are def the way fwd.

you could go for a set of road tyres........................

do the current ones do the job? if so i would stick with them, cheaper, and you know how you stand with them and getting spares/replacements etc. i obviosuly dont know the ibex spec but i am guessing its running off road tyres. therefore they are prob your current limiting factor on stopping.

if the current setup locks the wheels up quickly now then surely discs that give better stopping ability will just achieve the same aim but a fraction of a second quicker. (would you notice this? i dont know)

granted for repeated hard breaking then sloted and vented are def the way fwd.

you could go for a set of road tyres........................

Road tyres???? come on dont be silly now

"You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.

You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "

:(

As you may know I Race stuff

1.8 160 bhp 1.4 ton rally freelander drilled & groved disc with EBC pads massive improvment very very noticable

2.0 200 bhp 1.6 ton Ex dakar Freelander drilled & vented & groved with EBC pads masive improvmet very very noticable

TD5 Dicso Es stock Drill & vented & groved and EBC pads allround big improvment when towing or if the car is loaded otherwise there a bit better.

Big 90 4.2 will be fitting them before the next MOT

Mud blocking them up, well yes but the mud gets hot drys and shrinks then falls out as there is a fair amount of sentrofugal force remember. after a race meeting I have to clean everything and only about 20% of the disc will have mud in it, if that

I have them and would recomend them the pads make a big difrance too and last longer I find

Put it this way the two freelanders sets were given to me to test by Bearmach but I then bought a full set for the disco

Julian

Surely you only need vented / drilled / slotted if you are currently suffering from brake fade. This would normally occur under high speed conditions with a lot of hard braking - which is why Jules rates then so highly.

If you are not in to speed events and your brakes perform adequately then stick to what you have. The most I would do would be to upgrade to vented discs. Drilling and slotting is really not necessary IMHO unless you race. Additionally, you will be replacing brake pads far more frequently if you drill / slot.

Just my 2p. :ph34r:

Oh and to quote Siggy:

"Boggy"

ROFPMSL :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Your right

Just get better pads

winch comps don't involve enough speed to warent drilled and groved but the 90 runs EBC (there are other make as good I would assum) that made a big improment and they are still going strong.

I only fitted them cos I couldn't be bothered to fit a new servo which was the route of my braking problems on my 90.