CSW Rear sliding windows

prise the rubber filler strip out & drill out all the rivtes [4mm drill bit IIRC] then prise the complete unit off the body side, fixed windows can be fitted just use a normal window seal similar to the front screen one.

welcome to LR4x4.com hope you like it here :D

They rattle squeak and leak in my brand new 110 but they all do it, god knows why they haven't managed to make a window that works in 24 years of building 110s :angry:

I will be taking them out and fitting the solid 90HT type rear side windows in due course, I know they do not fit exactly but I think they can be made to fit.

Guest diesel_jim

My old Td5 110 (6 years old) have never rattled, and i opened them virtually every day for the dog to breathe.

maybe i was just lucky! :lol:

Guest dew110CSW

Mine never leak or rattle, they are opened quite regular. Maybe it's not being used that makes them rattle too much?

After 6 years service in coil mines - my rattle when I just look at them.

I was thinking about seal them with some kind of silicon that will stick to the rails, but not to the glass - say:

- push the silicon to the rail

- oil the window glass

- push it close

- wait the silicon to harden

- try to open again

Any comments if this should work or if it is the fastest way to get them replaced completely?

Thx.

Tomas

I did something like you thought Tomas but the silicon failed, and basically just made a mess and fell out....

I recently put in strips of plastic (Used for packing plastic house windows when they are installed) and glued them in on one side only with Evo-stick... Yet to see how long they last but presently I am rattle free, and the windows still slide open....

I'll post a few shots if interested...

Let me know

Neil

Now please respect shoddy work when you see it people....

I had no choice of colour when it came to plastic but the rattle has gone and you don't see the green bits when you pass the car at speed looking the other way ! :)

post-1475-1178906883_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1178906756_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1178906801_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1178906847_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1178906826_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your words of encouragement ! :)

New prop is installed and all re-greased underneath so the 110 is still the planned transport for next weekend Ralph... If I can take the lead boots off It'll be an opportunity to see what MPG I can get out of the old beast on a long run...

Neil

• 5 weeks later...

My sliding windows also started to rattle more and more, until it rattled more than the sceam of my 300tdi :D

So i drilled out the rivits, and fitted laminated 8mm glass , with a normal rubber seal, as used in the small windows on the sides of the rear door.

Here are a photopost-3725-1181429187.jpg.

I recently discovered that whilst i thought it was the glass rattling, a lot of it was due to some of the rivets having worked 'loose', after i drilled them out and re-riveted the rattles reduced considerably.......to check, open the sliding window, stick head in from outside and push frame in and out at the bottom, looking at the inside of the rivets - if this is the case you will see (or feel if you put your finger on it :ph34r:) very slight movement - possible solution???