OT: rugged phones

This is OT but not entirely as the "rugged" bit is so that it is Land Rover proof and boat proof ;)

I want to get a new mobile with the following:

- Bluetooth

- Vibrating ring

- Preferably a torch

- Waterproof - ish - don't expect submarine ability but needs to be splashproof

- Rugged - ish so it doesn't smash into a thousand pieces if it does get dropped on a concrete floor

I was pretty set on the Nokia 5500 until I read stories of the keypads falling off hundreds of them after a couple of months which doesn't sound very rugged to me - my cheapo Nokia 1100 has done a year now with lots of bumps and scrapes and not missed a beat but being a cheapie it doesn't offer Bluetooth.

Being where I am, the selection available locally is not great so I can't poke and prod something to see what it looks like and sending it back for repair means weeks away too so I want something that won't break to start with. I figured that fellow forumeers may have gone through the same decision process looking for much the same attributes as I want.

So what did you end up with that does all the above?

Has anybody with a Nokia 5500 had problems with it, or not had problems with it?

Ta :)

Stephen

BogM

what do you want the phone, to do apart from break. I have a sony ericsson k800i the one with the 3.2 mega pixel camera, shoved it in one of those hard clear plastic cases, its been bounced every where, seemed to work.

Might have an old nokia1100 hardly used, you can have it for the postage to the island

Russ

PS it has torch, vibrates, ruggedish and shower proofish

BogM

what do you want the phone, to do apart from break. I have a sony ericsson k800i the one with the 3.2 mega pixel camera, shoved it in one of those hard clear plastic cases, its been bounced every where, seemed to work.

Might have an old nokia1100 hardly used, you can have it for the postage to the island

Russ

No I want it NOT to break ;)

Basically I take the Jeremy Clarkson view of mobile phones i.e. I want to use it as a phone and have no need for it to be able to video my genitals and post it on the Interweb. No special features required - only Bluetooth to use with a hands free set, and I find a built in torch to be really useful as is the vibrating alert for when you are in meetings or restaurants etc and don't want the damn thing blaring away. 3G, internet, lots of twiddly bits, not interested in any of that stuff.

Thanks for the offer :) but I'd really like to get something with Bluetooth this time around, they are about to introduce a law here banning mobile use while driving and I might as well get ready for it now...

Guest diesel_jim

I had a bluetooth headset up until today...

I'm currently driving a cr@ppy old volvo until my new shogun arrives, and it's got no dog guard....

and my Lab was hungry/bored today.....

said bluetooth now looks a little chewed... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest WALFY

BM

I've got a Nokia 6230 you can have. Has bluetooth, vibrate but doesn't have a torch :angry: . Again yours for the P&P

OT it may be, but I will watch this thread with interest since I am looking for something similar myself...

I did a quick trawl of the web a couple of weeks ago and there doesn't appear to be anything that suits - so maybe we should design our own "Land~Phone" based on BMs initial spec? :)

1. Rugged - silicone cover built in with thicker bits at the corners.

2. Splash proof due to same silicone cover.

3. Built in torch - one super-bright LED should do, also a stretchy neck lanyard fitted so you can use it as a head-torch or attach it to stuff.

4. 2MP camera (I know you said you didn't want this BM, but you got to admit for that unexpected excursion/situation/crash it would be useful?)

5. Big clicky keys (under the one-piece silicone) for big oily fingers.

6. Smallish screen (less likely to get smashed).

Any more?

TS

Casio GZone - the worlds grooviest bloke phone.................... why isnt it available in UK frequencies :(

Cool! I never heard of this. Apparently it's been around in US for a couple of years. Definitely about time they made a UK version...

What frequencies do you have where you are BM? Would this do the job (even though it still has no torch)?

TS

I work outside with grubby hands, rain sun etc...

phone dropped on a regular basis, and it's always come back for more.

Not entirely waterproof but the Nokia 6310 is certainly what I'd recommend.

Unfortunately, their reputation preceeds them and prices can get silly!

Especially as they don't make them any more.

The ones available are usually recon's.

Stephen, I've got a 5500. I've had it for about 2 moths too.... This'll be my 3rd or 4th 5000 series Nokia (I get a new one every year with my contracts) and they've all been superb so far. The last one (predecessor to the 5500 but I can't remember the model number) got all sorts of abuse including me landing on it after rolling off the wing of the Land Rover (resulted in a small cloudy spot on the screen cover) and being dropped a storey onto concrete (it bounced a couple of times but was none the worse afterwards).

So far I've been very happy with the 5500 - the SS edging is pretty tough and seems well sealed against splashes. The keypad also doesn't pick up oil and grease (I've used it quite a few times with dirty hands). So far I'm very happy with it :) The only downside is it used a differant charger to the standard Nokia one. Its a PITA as I have loads of the standard type and I've got used to having one pretty much everywhere!

Guest dew110CSW

Nokia 5500 Sport - it's the Rugged Nokia phone. Totally dust proof, water proof, comes with a lot of features as well, around 150 squid.

Look Here and Here

Keep looking at one myself but funds tell me otherwise

Nokia 5500 Sport - it's the Rugged Nokia phone. Totally dust proof, water proof, comes with a lot of features as well, around 150 squid.

Look Here and Here

Keep looking at one myself but funds tell me otherwise

ANd then look here which was what put me off! (scroll down to the user reviews, Google will produce plenty more of the same)

Maybe it is the way they were treating them but it doesn't seem like an uncommon failure :huh:

i have a 6630 its a damn good phone ( i am the wolds best phone murderer) ive dropped it loads and it just bounces, dropped it in a puddle and i just popped out the battery dried it out and it was fine, I did kill one but I did run over it with a digger on a hard shoulder