Q for Suspension Gurus

OME 764 springs on the front-OME N45F front shocks

OME 781 springs on the rear-OME N44 Rear shocks

764 are 240 lb/in

781 are 280 lb/in

Both fairly high rate compared with the more usual 170 to 210 lb/in used.

Si

That was the point I was trying to make with my first post, albeit sarcastically withe the D44 OME spring suggestion. Trying to compensate for a soft spring with shock absorbers is the wrong approach. Surely it's better to design it around the right springs.

The only problem I've seen with running springs 240lbs+ is that they don't compress well and restrict upward movement. Admittedly it's not by much but it does have an effect.

Having said that, IIRC, Nige needs it to be sitting at standard height (springs wise) so that it still fits in garage.

Cheers

Steve

Ive been on the Pirate4x4 forum quite alot recently getting some new ideas, one thing ive really noticed is how far behind we are from USA. Air shocks have been used over there for years now on there Rock Crawlers, trail rigs etc, I would imagine that there are only a handful of use in the UK that use Fox Air Shox, Andrew, najw and I are the only ones im aware of.

Air shocks do work well or they would not be used by half rock crawlers in the USA!

I guess they dont get used much over here because its not a straight bolt job and no one has made a kit yet for a 90 :lol::lol:

or maybe they just aren't suited to what we do?

My 90 gets used as a daily driver and for any events I do so

keeping it useable is a consideration.

a shock sticking through the load space or bonnet wouldn't really fit in with general day to day use

in my situation.

What's their on road handling like? Seeing as 98% of US rock crawlers are trailered to site this is not usually a consideration for them when building suspension etc.

Steve

Air shocks would probably be ok on the road if you fitted limiting straps to reduce body roll but if its a daily drive truck then your are probably better to stick with a fairly standard setup.

I would never drive my truck to an event anyway its always put on the trailer as do the majority of the AWDC, its too much hastle if you brake something, driving my truck on 37" iroks, drum braked portals and slinky suspension on the road can be interesting!! :o:o

Going back to the twin shock idea, would it be possible to ...

Fit a set of road biased shocks complementary to the offroad biased shocks and disconnect for offroad? Or would having different shock ratings give very strang on-road charachteristics?

I am probably just talking 5h!te but seemed like a possible budget solution.

Andy

I guess they dont get used much over here because its not a straight bolt job and no one has made a kit yet for a 90 :lol::lol:

I a bit confused but I'm more of a racer than I was challenging but UK comp-safari 90's as my co-driver from the 05 BORC season He raced and won V8 super production class in 04 in his 90 that was running fox cooled shocks all round and the mounts were not a new thing then when he fitted the in 2003

From a quick search:

Rear Medium Duty Springs - OME 764

The OME 764 is a medium duty application spring. It is designed for the rear end of Land Rover Defender 90/110s, Discovery Is or Range Rover Classics. The 764s spring rate of 220 lbs/in is intended to give approximately 1.5" of lift over stock height when a vehicle is laden with typical off-road gear while not sacrificing axle articulation on the trail. The spring rates on the 764 give the Land Rover a firmer than stock ride on-road and decrease body roll over the stock vehicle configuration.

Chris,

Can you give some more 'blurb' on the air shocks, 'how they work', 'whats' adjustable and 'etc' 'etc' etc ...ie make us all knowing gurus in 1 post :lol::)

I have heard about these things ......but me knowledge is lacking ....sorry I know F all about them and the details

Would appreciate some detailed info, as I think may some others ?

Nige

... My experience with a hybrid I built some years ago with 130 lb in springs at rear required twin concentric 16'' long opposite wound coils of a combined rate of 400lbs in to adequately replace the Boge unit.

Bill.

Here is a pic of that hybrid.

Edit: And a video clip during testing.

post-62-1180351648_thumb.jpg

hybrid3.wmv

Here is a pic of that hybrid.

Nice winch install aswell.

Seen that picture before, didn't know it was Bill's

Looks like VW torsion bar radius arms aswell.

Bill, is there anything you have not tried? :lol:

Nice winch install aswell.

Seen that picture before, didn't know it was Bill's

Looks like VW torsion bar radius arms aswell.

Bill, is there anything you have not tried? :lol:

Thank you John.

You have sharp eyes to spot the VW torsion bar arms Andy. The central splined torsion bar connector had a bell crank which was activated by an 8 inch stroke air spring which could be adjusted to raise the back of the truck to compensate for weight transfer when climbing or a bit of extra belly clearance when required.

I think I have tried most things with Landeys over the years. Not everything was successfull however, but it's been fun.

Bill.