snorkel-less blues (& whites)

disco tony

Had a great weekend exploring salisbury plain, what a brilliant playground!!

The weather was pants for camping but made for excellent fun on sunday and monday.

Anyway, i have a disco 200tdi and i have cut the arches to suit larger tyres.

To do this i had to remove the plastic inner arches. I have not yet got around to fitting a snorkel, went through some nice bomb holes but suddenly, no power, felt like firing on only two, maybe three cylinders with loads of white smoke bellowing out the back. I obviously took in some water, kept the engine going and it eventually cleared.

Question is, have I done any long term damage and is thee anything I should do? (apart from fit a snorkel), like change the oil perhaps?

Fairly new to this game but all the learning is good fun. Any advice would be appreciated. (ps, running on a tight budget so please bear this in mind when replying, dont tell me to just go and get a new engine!)

Tony :blink:

look at the air filter for signs of water getting near it/check the oil for contamination(emulsified)

how is it running now?

water into a Diesel combustion chamber normally = bent con rods at best holes in engine block/snapped crank at worst

look at the air filter for signs of water getting near it/check the oil for contamination(emulsified)

how is it running now?

water into a Diesel combustion chamber normally = bent con rods at best holes in engine block/snapped crank at worst

After smoke cleared ran fine, air filter had to be thrown away, (mud and water), got home on an old tee shirt wedged in wing intake. Pulled the caravan home on Tuesday no probs so dont think anything too serious was done? could be wrong, hope not though.

Sounds like you go away with it.

very very lucky

hope so, is it worth changing the oil anyway?

I have ordered the wing mount for a snorkel today as I have some 2.5 inch tubing ready for snorkel, just didn't get around to fitting it before weekend away, daft really but one of those things which hein-sight was invented for I believe.

After smoke cleared ran fine, air filter had to be thrown away, (mud and water), got home on an old tee shirt wedged in wing intake. Pulled the caravan home on Tuesday no probs so dont think anything too serious was done? could be wrong, hope not though.

Just keep an eye on it for a while. I did this last year, and my 300tdi just kept on running fine - just a bit rattly when cold and a little bit smokey. Ran it for another 1500 miles like this - no loss of power or anything, but eventually decided to change the engine, and strip down the old one, to find No 1 conrod resembling a banana. Everyone was amazed that she kept running with no power loss.

As Honitonhobbit said, were you with the 90 (and the 2 VW transporters?) We were up there with the 2 discos, my green 110 and a rather nice red 90. Lots of mud and water! :D

said banana (one on the right) :rolleyes:

post-1650-1180689919_thumb.jpg

Talking about banana's, we saw this chap in Disco with no snorkel on charge into a water filled bomb hole on a public highway . Kiddie in his lap, no seat belt on and came out with white smoke billowing. Then went they round for another go. And got stuck.

Come to think of it that was on Salisbury Plain... on Monday.... :rolleyes:

Talking about banana's, we saw this chap in Disco with no snorkel on charge into a water filled bomb hole on a public highway . Kiddie in his lap, no seat belt on and came out with white smoke billowing. Then went they round for another go. And got stuck.

A lasting memory. What a ****! The type of ******* who has lost us so many decent lanes and caused so much grief. And to see him not only driving like a complete Terry but breaking the law to boot. Then there was his mate in the 90TC, driving the public highway with someone standing in the back... The to bring it all to the boil not only does he drive like a complete **** ******* ***** but he ***** up his engine in the process

James - nice LtWt mate, very smooooth. we were the group you passed up by the Airfield IIRC

Definately not me thankfully, all my kids were firmly belted up. was anyone on here in the 90 with the reg that reads "GB MUD" ?

we stopped and talked tou you if it was.

Definately not me thankfully, all my kids were firmly belted up. was anyone on here in the 90 with the reg that reads "GB MUD" ?

Yes that is Chris who is on here, oddly enough with the username GBMUD :)

Guest diesel_jim

That'll be the young athletic Chris.

Disco Tony hope the engine survives

David/Dave did you not write down the registration?

idiotic driving always bad news. as is driving off lanes across fields, seen that a fair bit lately to.

people have no consideration for decent users of the resources

Sounds like the time I asked my 8 year old son to wash my 90 , Happy swaying a hose around he thought it a good thing to fill the safari snorkel , I unknowingly started it up some time later and had very simular symptons , I removed the exit pipe from the intercooler and ran the engine and puhed out about 2 litres of water.

Its fine know and Our Jack lives to see another day. :D

Disco Tony hope the engine survives

David/Dave did you not write down the registration?

idiotic driving always bad news. as is driving off lanes across fields, seen that a fair bit lately to.

people have no consideration for decent users of the resources

Couldn't see the reg Tony - too much mud on the car!

We moved on and left them to it when it was obvious that they were out to "play in the mud" on a public road... my 3 yr old was less than impressed with "that silly man in the Discovery... can we go now Daddy?"

Matt

Plus around here at the moment we have motor bikes riding closed lanes nigh on every weekend

speeding, plates covered/removed

it is legal to shoot them Tony, I'm sure I read about somewhere.... use a good sight and BOOM. Oh hang on I'm getting mixed up with online gaming Battlefield2 :ph34r:

Disco Tony, apologies if I inferred you were the said kermit driving the other disco. HH actually asked first but I didn't bother, just made the assumption :unsure:

There was some deep water out there after the heavy rains. If you are going to drive green lanes or more off road, invest in a snorkle Tony. £100 ish quid give or take saves a lot of ££ engine rebuild.

Finally, just as a last point about the chap doing just about everything wrong. Did you all notice how he just kept sitting there revving the n*ts off it, in the desperate hope that he would find traction through will power alone? :D

And what was with the 2 VW vans full of Plymouth Bretheren talking to them? Were they spectating family, or passing tourists getting some action shots? <_<

while thinking about it - does a compression test help to identify cylinders with bent con-rods ??

It will help a bit - we use this technique at work.

The cylinder/s with bent rods will have lower compression than the rest, howver unless you have performed regular compression tests it is often difficult to identify what is a bent rod and what is regular engine wear

Drop the sump to be sure

But then again - if it still runs what does it matter if the rod is bent - just wait till it goes bang properly

Lewis :)