8274 improvements

Lewis

As we're all showing our drums off here's mine :ph34r:

DSC00935.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00937.jpg

Its for an 8074 so its key driven on the gearbox end. The end plate's going to be an 8274 one as the original was chewed and I can run a big sealed bearing using the latter. The drum brake (sorry, disk brake on the drum before someone says anything) also uses a key to hold it in place.

As Jim said, be careful with the material you choose. Mine's bar (not mild steel, though) as it makes things easier but you could do it with tube on an 8274 to save some weight.

As we're all showing our drums off here's mine :ph34r:

DSC00935.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00937.jpg

Its for an 8074 so its key driven on the gearbox end. The end plate's going to be an 8274 one as the original was chewed and I can run a big sealed bearing using the latter. The drum brake (sorry, disk brake on the drum before someone says anything) also uses a key to hold it in place.

As Jim said, be careful with the material you choose. Mine's bar (not mild steel, though) as it makes things easier but you could do it with tube on an 8274 to save some weight.

Looks nice but is it not a bit too long with the disc brake? you will need a fu%ing big winch tray! :lol:

Will ive got to ask, when will your truck be ready? we might be using tractor beams instead of winches by the time you have finished building :P

Looks like you've just red carded yourself from the vapour build off Mr Warne.....

I'm not so sure Bish, those photo's do have a sepia tone...they may be quite old.. :ph34r:

..sorry Will :) , on a more tech note , how are you operating the caliper? I presume the disc is off a small motorbike

Cheers

Steveb

Looks nice but is it not a bit too long with the disc brake? you will need a fu%ing big winch tray! :lol:

Will ive got to ask, when will your truck be ready? we might be using tractor beams instead of winches by the time you have finished building :P

Chris, it'll be finished when its finished :ph34r: Honest answer is I don't exactly know but itf its not before December I have to pay £100 to the gin fund. That isn't going to happen! I also want to build a new engine for the Lotus but I've promised myself I won't do it until the 90's done.

As far as fitting goes, it does just fit but, as you say, there isn't much space. It was designed to be as big as was feasible and it certainly is.

The caliper is a small motorcycle job that will be activated via the redundant clutch pedal. The caliper will be mounted on a bracket attached to one of the chassis rails.

Sorry Bish :P Don't worry, though, there's still a HUGE amount of work to do!

The caliper is a small motorcycle job that will be activated via the redundant clutch pedal.

Er wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill :)

Please don't say that a perfectly good motorbike is now in bits joining what was a servicable 90 (now in bits) :P

As mentioned I think your vapour crown has a dent in it :lol:

Nige :lol:

Keep up the good work Will, i know you will get it finished one day :rolleyes:

So whats the idea with the disc brake? dont you trust the orignal? :)

Cheers Chris but there's a long way to go yet!

There were 2 original reasons behind it (to stop over run and as a back up brake plus it takes some of the strain off the gearbox brake) and a 3rd bonus discovered by Paul Wightman: use the brake when lowering out to speed you up a bit. Useful on the longer decents....