8274 improvements

Lewis

I only found out on Sunday that my little brother has been TIG welding professionally for the last 7 years! I knew he was a welder but don't see him that often. Makes stainless steel hot water cylinders! I asked him to knock me up a fuel tank for the tray back. He is looking into it ;)

BTW Lewis, keep up the good work

• 2 months later...
So he had to get a grown up to make him one that wasn't bent :D

This one's not quite so cheap as his last effort. :P

:lol:

You seem to imply that you are the grown up . . .

And its still cheaper than a Gigglepin drum :)

Unfortunately in his haste to reduce costs Lewis forgot to make sure it ran true,

And guess what it didn't :lol:

lewiss90434.jpg

lewiss90435.jpg

lewiss90436.jpg

Dan, What dimensions are that tube? Or is it your favoured bit of solid?

Daan

I could have let you talk to the weasel, god only knows what would have happened then. :D

Urgh :(

At least it wasnt the Weetos man from Gran Fabrications - please dont make me go back there again . . . . .

Nice job there , Just one observation , on the support end you have had a bush made up to take the 60mm bar upto the original size where it will run on the polymer bearing , So why not use a sealed roller bearing instead of the bush ?

Just an observation , please tell me to go forth and multiply if you like :D

Nice job there , Just one observation , on the support end you have had a bush made up to take the 60mm bar upto the original size where it will run on the polymer bearing , So why not use a sealed roller bearing instead of the bush ?

Just an observation , please tell me to go forth and multiply if you like :D

If I were keeping the winch then a sealed bearing would have been on the cards, but as it was already sold and just needed a straight drum thats what it got

anyone know how far up the casing the oil comes? i want to put a filler in at top up level so i can check level is right without having to drain it.

How much oil do you put in?

I find that the drum seal allows water and dirt ingress such that by the time I want to top up the oil it needs changing anyway

How much oil do you put in?

I find that the drum seal allows water and dirt ingress such that by the time I want to top up the oil it needs changing anyway

recommended is 0.2 ltrs AFAIK.

mine is strippped at the mo so easy to drill and tap, but tricky to put oil in to see how high it sits cos it will just flow out over my boots :lol:

mine is strippped at the mo so easy to drill and tap, but tricky to put oil in to see how high it sits cos it will just flow out over my boots :lol:

I generally put about 400-500ml in, this comes about 2/3rds the way up the main gear (i.e the one on the end of the drum)

I've got 180ml written on the side of my bottle, think I converted that from a figure I found in fl oz or quarts or something.

I think the correct amount is small enough that it shouldn't pour over your boots even with the drum seal out. This is why the seal isn't great (and leaks if you overfill) as it's only designed to be a splash seal not submersed.

I've got 180ml written on the side of my bottle, think I converted that from a figure I found in fl oz or quarts or something.

I think the correct amount is small enough that it shouldn't pour over your boots even with the drum seal out. This is why the seal isn't great (and leaks if you overfill) as it's only designed to be a splash seal not submersed.

More oil = better, at least for me, the splash lubrication works well with a lot of oil

If you fit two seals it leaks less, a lot less

• 5 months later...

Any idea how the drum comes off the gearbox/mainshaft end. Does it simply pull off or is something actually holding it on.

I know a guy with an engineering company so I thought I would see if he could lengthen the drum and make it a little slimmer at the same time.

Any idea how the drum comes off the gearbox/mainshaft end. Does it simply pull off or is something actually holding it on.

you need to remove the upper housing , and as you look at front on theres a plate on the right hand side you need to pull this up then you can withdraw the drum

Unfortunately in his haste to reduce costs Lewis forgot to make sure it ran true,

And guess what it didn't :lol:

lewiss90434.jpg

lewiss90435.jpg

lewiss90436.jpg

That is truly a work of art, probably never see it hanging in a gallery but 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' so you never know.

I see you used solid bar but do you think a disused propshaft would suffice, if it can turn a 35" Simex surely it would withstand the forces from a plasma rope?.

I see you used solid bar but do you think a disused propshaft would suffice, if it can turn a 35" Simex surely it would withstand the forces from a plasma rope?.

a prop is only about a 3mm wall, it will bend, especially if u lengthen the drum

Please take great care what materail you use for extending the drum.

I get sent a t least one drum a month where someone has done a DIY conversion using Solid or gas tube or some other strange bit of gear and it has collasped or bent the drum in use.

If your stuck for what to use or just need advice you can always ask.

We also sell the billet material.

Jim :)