Last Defender build date?

Anyone know when the last Defenders with a chassis will be built and what engine it is likely to use?

Nigel

I don't think even Land Rover know................. lets hope they get a decent heater by the the time the last one is finished :)

I reckon the end of CKD assembly in SA and Brazil is a sign that Defender production is to cease at the end of this year. They are just too chicken to admit it.

The excuse for stopping production in SA is that they need the space, which is bull****. I've been there to see Defenders being assembled - there is no production line as such, the chassis are pushed around on trolleys. The space is only that required to park about 15 vehicles. Outside there is a huge open area which is little used. They could put up a simple assembly hall in about a week if they wanted to. The story was only released here because LR had to tell the unions what they were up to in regard to retraining, retrenchments, etc.

So what is the excuse in Brazil?

Current Defender will get new engine next year and a redesigned interior including air-bags. 2008 is rumoured to be the launch year for the 'new' Defender, although nobody at Land Rover will give anything away. 2008 would be the ideal timing since it'll be the companies 60th anniversary.

It's also expected the current Defender production will crossover with new Defender to fulfil military contracts. Latest I've heard from one LR source was current Defender was good until 2010.

Current Defender will get new engine next year and a redesigned interior including air-bags. 2008 is rumoured to be the launch year for the 'new' Defender, although nobody at Land Rover will give anything away. 2008 would be the ideal timing since it'll be the companies 60th anniversary.

It's also expected the current Defender production will crossover with new Defender to fulfil military contracts. Latest I've heard from one LR source was current Defender was good until 2010.

Airbags or i should say the lack of them are one of the things keeping the Defender out of North America

A crossover plan around 2010 sounds good, it gives me time to save up and also test both side by side before deciding which one to buy.

Nigel

Not that I know of. You just need motion sensors and associated electronics. Both the P38 and L322 Range Rovers use these. I know the P38 best as I looked into it before putting on winch bumper. It has three sensors. Two forward sensor behind the frontlights measure deceleration. The centre sensor measures side to side and has an angle sensor too. All of these are monitored an interpreted and under right (or wrong ;) ) conditions activate the air bags.

Should be no problem of adding a similar system to the Defender, apart from additional cost of course.

Steve

Last Defender Build date................When i cant find anymore parts! Off-roaders are built not brought... ;)

I would believe that finding parts will be possible for a lot longer than there are Defenders being assembled. Parts suppliers did not stop when the Series stopped being produced...

Fitting airbags won't be straightforward - I thought you had to have deformable bumpers for a start.

Neil

I read somewhere (not sure how true it is) that the bulkhead isn't strong enough to support airbags? I suppose if it went off it could distort it, thus pretty much writing off the vehicle?

• 1 year later...
As Stephen says, latest rumour is 2008, with Ford diesel going in next year.

They are not giving any firm dates on both yet.

Cheers

Steve

Trawling through old threads on here I came across this one.

Some interesting posts - some fairly accurate. ;)

Now going to continue to at least 2010 with the Fraud engine, so I understand. What comes after that is anybody's guess, but since the whole shebang is now up for sale again, making too many lofty predictions at this stage could be risky, it may have a Tingaling badge on it by next year :rolleyes: