Suspension set up

Paul64

Hi,

I will changing the suspension set up on my 110 CSW for the tougher road conditions and extra carriage of weight in Transylvania. Do you think the following is a good choice? Should I consider anything else.

The requirements for this setup are as follows

1. Regular pot holes on tarmac roads

2. Bumpy dirt tracks

3. Off roading

4. Carrying a maximum of 5 people, all their kit and camping equipment

Proposed set up

1. Old man emu springs. Front springs 751, Rear springs 755

2. Old man emu dampers. Front shocks n115, Rear shocks n44

3. Polybush comfort (blue) with associated bolts.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

If you haven't got a winch on the front the 751's will be to hard, probably better with 761 medium duty, for the rear depending on how much load will be in the back the 781 [can't see 761 on the list] would probably be good, as the load will not be constant avoid the heavy duty 762/763/754/755. you'll be fine with the N45 front shox [my 110 has a set on & front winch/bumper, not had any problems] I think the N115's will be to hard, the N44 on the rear will be good.

mine has 751/N45 front & 754/N44 rear [always has my rally recovery kit,constant load of 400kg in the back regardless of where I'm travelling to]

If you haven't got a winch on the front the 751's will be to hard, probably better with 761 medium duty, for the rear depending on how much load will be in the back the 781 [can't see 761 on the list] would probably be good, as the load will not be constant avoid the heavy duty 762/763/754/755. you'll be fine with the N45 front shox [my 110 has a set on & front winch/bumper, not had any problems] I think the N115's will be to hard, the N44 on the rear will be good.

mine has 751/N45 front & 754/N44 rear [always has my rally recovery kit,constant load of 400kg in the back regardless of where I'm travelling to]

Thanks Ralph,

No winch so I will take into consideration the setup you suggest. What make of springs and shocks did you go for?

Cheers,

Paul

I'd stay with genuine LR rubber bushes, never given me any problems, have thought about blue ploybushes before but after having seen the aftereffects of Ironman ones on a mates 127 I'll continue to use the standard parts.

Thanks for all the advice. This is why it always becomes a difficult choice. Some swear by the original Polybush blues, then others say they are rubbish. I must admit the OME's are looking a more attractive option. Ralph where did you buy your bushes from?

Cheers,

Paul.

Said it before and will say it again, SuperPro.

OME bushes are poor in high mileage off road conditions as they are simply to hard and suffer from impaction and deformation. In fact I would suggest any other bush rather than OME - even a S/H set of Deflex or the old set of Polybush Reds I have in my garage which you are welcome to...

Unsure if people are meaning OME(Old Man emu) or Orig manufacturers equip

I use genuine L/R ones only they last approx 12-20k and considering the time they have they last well

and when they are completely shot you can still drive home.

they may restrict movement a bit but nothing that I'm going to worry about.

I'm getting a bit confused now. There seems to be some real differences of opinion. The most important factor for me is reliability and longevity.

What is the general consensus.

OME bushes (old man emu)

OME bushes (Orig manufacturers equip)

Superpro polybush

Cheers,

Paul

There does seem to be a massive difference between the red and blue polybushes. Have had red polybushes on the 90 since 2001 and moved them over to the Ibex - still fine (about 20000 miles total). The blue 1s are rubbish off road as they do break up very quickly; not fitted them myself having seen mates fail in short period. The reds seem fine though.

Mark

Given the decription of the roads and carrying 5 people plus all their gear, I am suprised that no one has suggested twin shocks and stengthening spring mounts.

Didn't suggest it myself, as I've no experience, but I've read it enough times that travelling on corrugations and potholes a lot kills shocks, their mounts and spring mounts.

Cheers

Steve

Said it before and will say it again, SuperPro.

OME bushes are poor in high mileage off road conditions as they are simply to hard and suffer from impaction and deformation. In fact I would suggest any other bush rather than OME - even a S/H set of Deflex or the old set of Polybush Reds I have in my garage which you are welcome to...

Thanks for the offer, but when I get them on I want them there for a long time. I bought a set of the polybush reds. I got them from Nene Overland. Cracking place and I got a lot of help and advice from Kevin Mackman that works there. He said that most of the heavy duty springs and shocks that they fit are Britpart.

Cheers

Paul

Yup. Burn the rubber out with a blowlamp and then use a reciprocating saw ("Jigsaw" or similar) to cut through the metal outer which will then collapse in and push out easily. Fitting a new "OEM" type is easy enough if you have the right sized tube or socket to hammer it in with - better yet, use a vice to press it in. :)

Chris

Yup. Burn the rubber out with a blowlamp and then use a reciprocating saw ("Jigsaw" or similar) to cut through the metal outer which will then collapse in and push out easily. Fitting a new "OEM" type is easy enough if you have the right sized tube or socket to hammer it in with - better yet, use a vice to press it in. :)

Chris

Thanks Chris,

That must mean that Polybush are easier to fit and remove after the OEM is out as I noticed there is a metal core and a split bush which fits either side of the eye?

Any idea where I can find or what the torque settings are? Bought a torque wrench over here, so if you have the settings in metric even better.

Cheers,

Paul

All I can say is that two trips to Southern Africa including some very nice roads with my 110 Defender well overloaded the standard Land Rover heavy duty springs, standard shock absorbers and suspension bushes, my Defender coped very well.

3.400kg was the normal all up weight of the Defender.

I've just added 130 helper springs to the rear. It's really lifted it too far for my liking, so much so that it might not go into the container.

Fitting new Land Rover bushes is easy. That really is the simple bit. It's getting the old ones out where the problem lies.

Do as Chris says to remove.

To fit I use the HGV mechanics method. A short length of screwed rod nuts and washers of various sizes.

Make sure you have two washers that fit over the center tube of the bush.

Also clean the tube that the bush is to fit into. Some oil will help it go into place.

My ten bobs worth.

mike