Weather and 4x4s

JST

Well it rained quite a bit last night down here in Zomerzet, so much so that the misses couldn't get to work in her nice ecofriendlier car and the 4x4 had to be used as the Police had closed the road to everything else (excpet Lorries and Tractors).

Some say there is no need for 4x4s!

It rained here nearly all day yesterday and some really heavy showers the day before - like monsoon storms. The heavy rain kept waking me up last night as well, so I don't think it stopped at all. Still tipping down this morning and looks like it's in for the whole day judging by the news reports.

Les.

Hasn't been that bad in Berkshire, but it really makes a difference being up higher on the motorway, out of the way of the spray and able to see more.

Followed an MX5 into work on Friday down one of the lanes near home. As it hit a puddle by the side of the road, it swerved heavily as the water slowed that side down. My 110 isn't normally affected by these and has amazed me with it's indifference to deep puddles. Far safer than most normal cars I've had.

Is it me, or does anyone else play with the water puddles on the bonnet of their Defenders? I usually get a little pool of water forming just to the right or left of centre, in the recessed bit. I'll try and keep it there for as long as possible. Big bends and braking will shift it, but driving very carefully can keep it there for a while.

Maybe it's the product of a very sad mind. I'll not expect anyone else to do this....

'our' recovery services????? what have you to offer?

i'm going to pimp out everyone elses services and in the process blag me some free tickets.

quite liking turbos idea though- after a weekend of mud and **** food i reckon you could get a hippy to do just about anything in return for a hot meal.

Guest diesel_jim
Well it rained quite a bit last night down here in Zomerzet, so much so that the misses couldn't get to work in her nice ecofriendlier car and the 4x4 had to be used as the Police had closed the road to everything else (excpet Lorries and Tractors).

Some say there is no need for 4x4s!

How long before we get the blame for the weather though.... global warming due to the huge engines (that only 4x4's have... :rolleyes: ) etc etc etc

persnonally, i can't wait for a rambliar/politician type person to ask for my help..... i'll take great pleasure in telling them where to go.... :D:D

Well………….. last night was interesting ……….

We shoot on 3 farms that are all exceptionally hilly terrain …….. all have a deep valleys with the fields on either side of the valleys ………. all are dairy as it would not be easy to cultivate this type of terrain.

I got a call form one of the farmers to say that he had got his old 4x4 New Holland (Ford :lol: ) tractor stuck due to a gearbox problem. The tractor had a trailer on with 2 bullocks that were being taken to the barns for veterinary attention ……………. Could I help ?

I found the tractor at the bottom of a steep sloped field which is between 2 wooded areas. The slope is probably 50 to 60 degrees and the water was running down it like a river. I anchored off to a tree and run out 400ft of plasma ( 300 feet of 12mm and 100 ft of doubled 9.5mm)………….one long more of less continuous pull (apart from the re-rigs to take off the extensions) and we had the tractor up the slope …………. It’s the only time that I have ever felt the hydraulic oil tank to be hot to the touch………. I then took the trailer to the barns and later towed the tractor in ……….

My biggest worry in all this was that the V8 would hold together ……… running at over 100 degrees with the fans on full and next to zero oil pressure :blink: …………but my fears were unfounded …………..and I got very f**king wet ! :rolleyes:

:)

Ian

Followed an MX5 into work on Friday down one of the lanes near home. As it hit a puddle by the side of the road, it swerved heavily as the water slowed that side down. My 110 isn't normally affected by these and has amazed me with it's indifference to deep puddles. Far safer than most normal cars I've had.

Is it me, or does anyone else play with the water puddles on the bonnet of their Defenders? I usually get a little pool of water forming just to the right or left of centre, in the recessed bit. I'll try and keep it there for as long as possible. Big bends and braking will shift it, but driving very carefully can keep it there for a while.

Maybe it's the product of a very sad mind. I'll not expect anyone else to do this....

<SensibleMode>

Whilst out puddle-hunting at the weekend, I got thinking... (Ouch!) How difficult would it be to aquaplane a heavy 110 on BFG muds?? :lol::o

</SensibleMode>

TBH, the deeper and longer the puddles, the better :lol:

It must be wet, our Turf suppliers have stopped harvesting as they keep getting the harvesters stuck! 250,000quid and some proper tyres and they get stuck on the flat :D

Of course this week is the last week before half year end so is the second busiest week in the year for us...

Well still chucking it down here and why do i have to have a dog that loves water. currently about a foot deep across the road outside ours at the moment, so what does the stupid thing do - go and lie in it, thats after she bounced past me and managed to get out. i only went to try and unblock the drain!