14mm 17,200kgs 37,900lbs

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson.

wider narrower drum?

Nope, not yet anyway

SD531024.jpg

SD531093.jpg

Lewis :)

hopefully 11mm is enough for those of us with properly powerful winches (read hydro)

Pugwash, My new (to me) front winch snapped the 14mm in several places, its electric too :P

11mm is fine on paper, but as soon as you have a cut you are f*cked:

At round 2 of the AWDC series at Kirton earlier this year we put a cut 1/2 way thru Andrews rear rope on the 102", this reduces the strength by half I assume. If we had put a cut to the same depth (5.5mm) in 14mm rope then we would have only lost a very small amount of strength, even if the the cut had been halfway thru 14mm rope (ie 7mm) then we would still have been left with a stronger rope than a half cut 11mm

This was with electric winches (god forbid) imagine what your super fantastic hydro winches are gonna do to half cut 11mm with 2tonne of Range rover on the end of it

Just my opinion

cuts lose way more than 1/2 the rope strength.

you may want to take a bit more time or look at what is cutting the ropes

mine was a problem on the mounting plate that the husky is fitted to.

I resolved this by fitting a second fairlead.

I've only broken ropes when pulling at extreme angles

never straight ahead, that is using 9.5mm ropes.

but with a simple electric winch and not a MM I guess that is why :)

cuts lose way more than 1/2 the rope strength.

you may want to take a bit more time or look at what is cutting the ropes

Thanks for the advice, but I spend enough of my time looking at rocks already :lol:

It might also have something to do with you not abusing your equipment :blink: Tony. :i-m_so_happy:

Proper care of the rope should avoid cuts in all but the most unfortunate circumstances IMHO.

Plasma (to use a generic term, other brands are available ;) ) has great advantages but it's main disadvantage is durability. One should therefore be a little more careful with letting it rub against anything other than a fairlead. Even then, be sure to inspect your fairlead regularly as they do scuff up relatively easily.

It is easy to say the bigger the rope the bigger safety margin one has if it gets damaged, but where do you stop? I think a better approach is to treat the rope with respect and not let it cut into the ground or rub against rocks etc. Sure in the heat of competition you may say the bigger rope gives you more leeway, but sooner or later that approach will end in tears when even a nice fat rope lets go through abuse / misuse.

As a wise man once said, "To finish first, first you have to finish"

ME : 250ft green (blue)

Tony C: 120ft Blue (green or purple)

Les H: 110Ft no colour pref

Andy B: 120Ft (blue or purple)

Smo: 100Ft No Col Pref To Confirm

V8Camel: 200ft (you only get one colour)

miketomcat: 100ft (no colour pref)

Running total: 900ft

(Confucious say "man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day long". Don't beleive everything those wise men say :D:P)

Bish:

I'm well aware that rocks + synthetic winch rope = bad

However sometimes these abraisions go unnoticed, accidents happen, and some insurance against breakage goes a long way. I know what I would rather have

Where do we stop? 14mm as thats the biggest ruftraks sell. But it had crossed my mind to completely splice one of my 100ft x 11mm ropes inside the over to give 100ft of 22mm plasma24, but that may be overkill :lol:

Hi,

"Where do we stop? 14mm as thats the biggest ruftraks sell. But it had crossed my mind to completely splice one of my 100ft x 11mm ropes inside the over to give 100ft of 22mm plasma24, but that may be overkill"

No overkill is the biggest size I can sell!!

How about some 96mm Plasma - Minimum Tensile strength - 1,520,000lbs.

Now that is the biggest size I sell!!

Any takers??

Andy Thomlinson.

Now that is the biggest size I sell!!

Andy Thomlinson.

Sorry, I should have put "the biggest size ruftraks list on the website"

How about some 96mm Plasma - Minimum Tensile strength - 1,520,000lbs.

Any takers??

Do you have fairleads to suit this in stock?

Lewis :)

11mm is fine if you take care.

not keeping an eye on what it is rubbing against could lead to a serious accident.

a bit of TLC has seen the rear rope on mine being there for over 2 years(regular usage)

the front has been on since Jan and washed out after exch event.

A good co-driver makes the world of difference after all it will be the driver that disappears over the edge when/if it breaks.

Bish took good care of the rope on mine and that gives me more confidence.

If the rope had gone here due to abuse the car would have come home in many more bits than it arrived :)

post-5-1183049955_thumb.jpg

Tony C: 120ft Blue (blue/green or purple)

Orgasmic Farmer: 200ft (no colour pref)

Running total: 1100ft

Hi Lewis,

Many thanks in your continued interest in Plasma Winch line.

I treat all enquiries with the utmost importance and am happy to supply you 96mm Plasma @ £100 per ft.

As this is a slightly unusual size for this particular application you will appreciate I must treat it as a special order and take full payment in advance.

It is not my normal practice to publicise prices on a forum, however you did use this vehicle to ask for your quote.

I await you cheque for £10,000 + VAT & delivery at cost prior to importing your order from the USA.

FYI,

I have just been told by Puget within the last few minutes that very shortly they will be in a position to produce a 192mm Plasma, perhaps you would prefer to wait for that!

Kindest regards,

Andy Thomlinson.

Managing Director,

Ruftraks UK Limited.

Glasgow, Scotland.

www.ruftraks.co.uk

1/2" is enough fun to use and TBH we only use it for longevity, I'd use a lessor diameter personally given the option, bit more flexibility, better D to D ratio, easier to handle, cheaper, more on the drum etc etc

from memory Amstel breaking strains are based on whole line without any splicing? - bit tricky to translate that into winching unless you use a capstan and a carribener (sp?) :unsure:

Hi Lewis,

Many thanks in your continued interest in Plasma Winch line.

I await you cheque for £10,000 + VAT & delivery at cost prior to importing your order from the USA.

My cheque guarantee card only covers cheques up to £100, will you still accept it? :lol:

I'll have 100 ft of 11mm, use this on the rear MM, I have 12mm on the front (PG Winches suppiled) and shame you can't do this as well :)

Any, any colour except ORANGE (just in case anyone might think it was from them :lol: )

[tart mode on]Maybe a Change from Purple would be good too :) [/tart mode off]

just to clarify is this "Plasma 12" or something else ie "Amsteel" ?

Nige

Hey Nige,

this is Plasma 12 suplied by Andy T of ruftracks. He will make a special order for us which is why we can have any colour.

He is MORE than happy to supply 12mm, but i don't think as a forum we will be able to order enough to make the discount worthwhile. The price also jumps a very large amount too.

Tony C: 120ft Blue (blue/green or purple)

Orgasmic Farmer: 200ft (no colour pref)

Hybrid from Hel: 100Ft (NOT Orange)

Running total: 1200ft