Fuel tank pickup options

For some reason the tank pickup on the 109 really objects to cornering with less than 1/3 tank of fuel. It's a bit puzzling because, although the tank is "custom", it's basically the same shape as a stock 109 tank and the pickup pipe is a Range Rover item that, as far as I can tell, should be very near touching the bottom. The fact that stock tanks don't seem to suffer this problem has me confused since they definitely don't contain fancy baffles or anything like that, yet mine causes the fuel pump to complain if I go round a large roundabout on 1/4 tank <_<

I've heard talk of jet-ski pickups in the past, but Google has drawn a blank on what one might look like and I've not heard of anyone actually using one, just that they "may work". I have space to get something into the tank, to allow for changes of sender & pickup those units are mounted to a ~6" square plate which bolts down to a large hole on the top of the tank. This means I could manage to poke baffle foam, a strange pickup, or whatever else in there provided it fitted through the hole and didn't subsequently require welding :ph34r:

Interior of the tank - it's baffled front-to-rear and the fuel pickup is about central / maybe a bit to the rear:

post-21-1183749461_thumb.jpg

often called a flip flop pickup and used in aerobatic aircraft.

problem is that you can't baffle the tank with one these so it doesn't do wonders for your handling (although in a 109 i doubt that's a huge concern :D)

last time i looked in a baffled tank of any size, it had a lot more holes in the bottom for fluid movement- do you think you might have too little flow from one baffled area to the other? This would mean you are cornering and all the fluid is disappearing to one side of the tank and the other side isn't benig "replenished" from fast enough from one of the other baffled areas.

Model aircraft and chainsaw pickups may be a little undersized for a 4.6 V8 :huh: aircraft ones sound like a better idea but I still can't find anything on google, seems there is no aeronautical equivalent of Halfords :unsure:

Edit: damn, Jez beat me to the post with a picture! Whassat then?

I think you could make it into a 'clunk tank' fairly easily. They are basically a soft silicone pick-up pipe that is long enough to reach to all 4 sides of the tank. A weight on the end of the pipe means that the pick up always rolls to the lowest point inside the tank and subsequently stays in the fuel. Chainsaws have the fuel filter on the end of the pipe, but in your case this isn't necessary. A brass or copper nut - coated in rubber on the end of the pipe would be sufficient.

Les.

The only downside of this solution that I can see is that the pickup will always be in the dirty fuel at the bottom unless you clean out the tank regularly?

It's a V8, it cleans the tank out with shocking regularity :lol:

Seriously though, the fuel sloshes about a fair bit in there, and the lift pump is a Facet type with it's own pre-filter, and a post-filter, and then there's a filter after the pressure pump as well...

I know it's too late for this option, tank being finished and used an all but it may

be of use to someone else looking for anti surge solutions.

A small dish shaped sub-tank fixed to the underside of the main tank with a small

hole linking the two. Draw fuel from the small tank. Works well enough on sprint

cars.

Mate of mine bought a new racer, first time out at Slab miles from the start, it ran out of fuel but we knew it had fuel in the tank.

We spent the next ten minutes looking for stones to put in the tank to bring the fuel level up to thee picckup :lol:

In my last pick up we fitted hinged baffles, sounds weird but in the center section of the baffle we cut out a rectangle and fitted a hinge. then we welded on two bits of plate, one to stop them opening more than around 80deg and another over the edges so the flap could only open one way, towards the pick up. this allows the fuel to get quickly into the pick up point in the center but not out, there corners were cut at 45deg so some fuel could move but not so much.

Try fitting a "cup" around the base of the pick up with about 1/3rd cut out but have this facing fwd or backwards, this means there should always be some fuel around the point, for yours maybe some extra holes to allow new fuel in at the same rate it can take it out :P

You may get a clanking noise from the tank as you go over rough ground slowlywhen they swing in and out, but at least while they are making noise you know they are working, and when it gets too metallic, you need more fuel! but then you prob always got that thought

scroll down this page and you can see the baffles .

http://archive.difflock.com/discus/message...html?1143937538