Bonatti Grey

muddyplugger

Halfrauds are highly hit and miss for getting paint mixed - Leamington Spa were completely clueless when I went in there after some Ardennes Green, but Selly Oak (Birmingham) looked it up in no time. Also seems to vary from store to store what pigments they stock. Even with the code in hand (off the can from Selly Oak), Leamington couldn't mix me any because they didn't stock all the ingredients...

Probably irrelevant for Land Rovers (unless you aren't trying to match existing paintwork) but steer clear of Halfords own brand ready mixed paints - they're rubbish, especially the laquer.

I have taken all your advice, wrote down the correct paint code (thanks) and am going to get 2 litres from an automotive spray shop. They are going to charge £25 per litre, which I thought was OK.

Currently the vehicle is light blue, so i recon a couple of coats with roller/brush should having it look quite smart! Until I scrape it down a tree! :P

That confirms LAL as the correct colour code

I don't mean to be pedantic but "somebody" calls it LAL. Land Rover - who make it - call it LRC659 - and if I was ordering a Land Rover paint I think I'd call it what Land Rover call it :)

That site has a lot of good info on it but it appears not all of it is right - I noticed something else that was wrong too (only a typo, but...)

Thought I'd better post here to solve the confusion with bonatti grey.

LAL is the same colour code as LRC.659 but to save space on my website by avoiding duplicating colour codes I often use both codes on the same line unless there is more than one shade.

As an example:

LRC.659 Bonatti Grey met 2ct 2000

or

LAL.659 Bonatti Grey met 2ct 2000

Both the above are exactly the same but share different code numbers which can be confusing, Whereas the following example in the old Rover formulation shows three different shades:

LAL Pewter Grey met 2ct 1994 ARG.995

LAL Pewter Grey met 2ct 1994 ARG.995(D)

LAL Pewter Grey met 2ct 1994 ARG.995(LF)

LAL Pewter Grey is AFAIK a different colour shade in (ARG) Austin Rover Group.

The confusion may have occured after I recently updated the colour codes on my website that incorrectly showed "Bonatti grey" in the none metallic section which only displayed LAL and not the equivalent LRC.659 which was/is correctly shown in the metallic section.

Hope that makes more sense of the colour codes and iron outs the confusion.

There may still be a few errors I've completely missed and would appreciate being informed so to make the necessary amendments until I find the time to check through every line.

That confirms LAL as the correct colour code :)

Steve.

It has been useful to have all the codes as 1st guy at the paint shop showed LAL (I gave then LAL and LRC659) showed Pewter metallic, and the second guy (same paint shop) found the correct Bonatti grey with the same LAL/LRC659 code!

I dont know what is going on but I think some companies must list their paints with either code. It also shows that in the same paint shop, two different people can come up with two different paints with the same code! Most bizzare! :blink:

At least I got what I want thanks to you guys on this forum! :D:D

Steve (Paintboffin)

thanks for your post and welcome. Many of us keep your site in our favorites, its a great resource, and having a paint boffin amongst us is more than a little handy given the scrapes and scratches we tend to inflict on our rovers ;)

I don't have quite as much time as I'd like to these days giving my input on bulletin boards but this particular post was picked up by my website statistic report.

Though I still reply to email ;)

regards,

Steve.

Bizarre indeed,

I know some paint outlets use their own codes to mix formulas but entering either LAL or LRC.659 should have instantly produced a recognised formulae on their system.

Having said that I wouldn't trust Halfrauds anyway.

regards,

Steve.

• 4 years later...

Hey, so i think i know the paint code... but how have people put it on the car... im doing the sankey, so doesnt have to be great, but does need to noot peel off and be cheap.

was gona roller/paint it on, not spray it. but what goes over the old paint? does it need a primer at all? if so, what?

Thanks,

Pete