Defender Speedo / Odometer reset?

Astro_Al

Hi, I now have second hand Defender gauges, courtesy of 'Monsieur Frigidaire-congélateur' and his recent escapades at Sodbury (merci!), but I need to know how I can reset the mileage back to zero.

Is it set up so that you can't tamper with it, or is there a known method???

Cheers, Al.

I know a few places in southampton that can do it but I will not say names on the forum and I have never personaly spokent to them about it. It is easy on a P38 so I'm told I don't know about Def ones

why have burned out your drill

:lol::lol:

Hmm, thanks Jules. Hold that thought...

I have a drill which I got free and don't mind knackering - just wondered if there was an easier way. Knowing me I'd leave it running, go away to do something else, and return to a smoking drill just as it reached the number it started on. :(

I guess they can't be run backwards, so I'd have to go right the way round.

There must be a way in - I'll have a fiddle when I get my hands on it. :o

Al.

Guest diesel_jim

Is it a Td5 electronic one you have?

what milage is showing on it? reason i ask, is i have a brand new Td5 one here (bought at billing this year in a Td5 dash!) which i'm going to fit into my 300Tdi, which has 34000KM on it (i have a KPH mechanical speedo fitted at present), so i need to "fast forward" my new speedo head.

if you'rs is a) electronic, B) MPH c) near (or under) 21000miles, then drop me a PM!

cheers

Jamie

PS... fitting the electronic spedo head into an older 90/110 is a doddle too! :)

If it's a older click over numbers type, then it is possible to very carefully prise the retainer ring off and undo the 2 screws on the back to get in to reset/move the numbers, I did mine to set the 1st digit correctly as it wasn't moving, hasn't had a ill effects cos it's still working OK.

Guest diesel_jim
you forgot to add "so I am told" at the end Western ! :rolleyes:

and yes, thats the way to do it, use a watchmakers screwdriver to release the clips.

so I am told B)

Nige

Nah...i used a big flat blade on my old one! :D

Presumably with an electronically driven one if you connected it to a frequency generator your kid nicked from the school electronics lab you could crank the freq output up till it read 135mph and leave it there for a week or two until it got right the way round and back to the figure you wanted?

If it's a older click over numbers type, then it is possible to very carefully prise the retainer ring off and undo the 2 screws on the back to get in to reset/move the numbers, I did mine to set the 1st digit correctly as it wasn't moving, hasn't had a ill effects cos it's still working OK.

You forgot Remove note reading "Oh No! Not Again!" and disgard. :rolleyes:

Too right Fridge. I'll have a go at the weekend.

Thanks for the method folks. Al.

Don't forget, its not actually illegal to clock a speedo... :ph34r:

Let me explain....

An odometer records mileage. Thats it. Its a grey area whether its legal requirement to have one, only a speedo is required. There is not an offence of changing the mileage shown in any of the Road Traffic Acts or Construction and Use regs, HOWEVER....

It is an offence to obtain a pecunary advantage by deception - in other words clocking a vehicle in order to either sell it with less miles on, or claim under a warranty or limited mileage insurance etc. Thats why most second hand cars in main dealers have stickers over the odometer showing that the mileage has not been confirmed.

If you remove and keep the old speedo head and reset the current one to zero, when you come to sell the vehicle the two added together **should** show the correct recorded mileage for the vehicle...

HTH

Cheers

Peter

Yeah, just for the record, it's kind of a full rebuild - replacement chassis, engine etc, so there isn't really a mileage to keep that's relevant to anything. I don't really think I'm trying to gain or avoid costs by setting the mileage to zero at this point.

Cheers, Al.

I've never taken a LR clock apart before but if its similar to most then it should unscrew to get to the internals.

It should then be possibe to manually rotate the rollers individually until you have 9 showing on all of them.

then one more rotation will effectively bring it 'around the clock' and back to zero.

all the rollers are connected by a small tag - WARNING! DONT TAKE THEM APART AND DONT ASK HOW I KNOW THAT!!!- so if you start at the tenths of a mile roller and then work over to the left it should work.

easier than the drill method!

And if the thought police are around, er, um I, ah, read that in a book somewhere :ph34r::ph34r::rolleyes:

clunk