Needless destruction

Gromit

Supposing I wanted to take down a few concrete block walls.

I had an idea that I could get a chain or wire rope looped through holes in the bottom of the wall, give it a gentle tug with the 110, and pull the bottom out from under the wall and voila; wall in a heap on the ground and me and my truck still in one piece :P

Is this a good idea? (Famous last words there)

My main concern would be having a non-stretchy rope/chain, so that when the whole lot let go, I wouldn't have large chunks of rope and concrete coming in the back window to say hello.

Comments?

Might work, though I would give it a few good smacks with a sledgehammer first to crack the cement.

I'd also check whether anything important or expensive was in the way if the wall keeled over and fell down as a complete slab as you might feel like a pillock if you were collecting the blocks from the inside of where your greenhouse used to be etc :ph34r:

I pulled out concreted in fence posts with a chain and my old red 90 but I wouldn't try it with one with a Td5 chassis. Basically 1st low range drive off with the post short coupled to the tow hitch such that the chain went down at about 45 deg, come off the clutch just before the rear suspension bottomed out and let the vehicle roll back, do it again half a dozen times and the post was out, much easier than digging but needs a strong tow point obviously :)

I saw a pikey try this with a Transit once - he repeatedly reversed into an old brick wall to try and save himself some time and work with a sledge hammer. The wall stayed up, but the rear of his van was totalled - what an idiot.

Weakening the wall across a cement line as suggested by Bogmonster would a wise thing to do first.

Les.

Might have a few posts to do too. Is the 45 degrees is to pull up as well as over?

Partly to pull up and partly to put some weight transfer onto the rear wheels which equals more grip :)

The key is not to overdo it though. Oh and if it is a long post mind the back window... :wacko:

On a similar but opposite note, last weekend my dear father had screwed six railway sleepers together and wanted to stand them on end. TroddenMasses winched them to 'nearly upright' but found that the winch hook met the snatch block when they were at 89degrees, so I used the back of my Ninety to 'gently support' them while he sent my brother up a tree re-rigged.

As Chris says, I wouldn't generically advocate LR panels as pushers or bludgeoners, but it does get the job done. If it was a suitable wall I'd be tempted to gently nudge it over with the rear crossmember, but I do mean 'gently' and 'nudge'.

On a similar but opposite note, last weekend my dear father had screwed six railway sleepers together and wanted to stand them on end. TroddenMasses winched them to 'nearly upright' but found that the winch hook met the snatch block when they were at 89degrees, so I used the back of my Ninety to 'gently support' them while he sent my brother up a tree re-rigged.

Does your father make a habit of creating garden sculptures composed of railway sleepers? :blink:

Does your father make a habit of creating garden sculptures composed of railway sleepers? :blink:

Nope - it was a backstop for the rifle range that we are building in his back garden. There will be a lot of earth packed around them, but they are the starting point. The winch on the landy proved really useful, the whole lot must have weighed in at a couple of tonnes. I was lifting it with the winch, and controlling it with a KERR attached to the bottom. Driving closer / further away made the bottom move, and winching in and out moved the top part. It worked like a dream.