wing bars

tobes

Looks like a nice neat solution.................

but where's the fun in that hey? :D :D

The fun is in the fact that you can fit them with a lot less hastle then go to the pub instead of p*****g around in the workshop and looking through scrap bins for materials, But when some of us dont do any work all week its a different story aint that right Pikey! :D:lol::lol::lol::lol::D

I called up about the price..... £355

Apparently the firstset the sold, the guy rang up and said he had them fitted in 40 minutes!!

By the time you get tube, sheet etc etc then take the hours of work into account that aint half bad. I made mine, got the main tube fitted in less than an hour then took best part of a weekend makeing and welding on brackets for the headlamp pannels, inner wings, top's, sides and wheels archs, if I added it all up they probably cost me more than that!

By the time you get tube, sheet etc etc then take the hours of work into account that aint half bad. I made mine, got the main tube fitted in less than an hour then took best part of a weekend makeing and welding on brackets for the headlamp pannels, inner wings, top's, sides and wheels archs, if I added it all up they probably cost me more than that!

Dont forget the cost of the wings you have screwed up in the past.

They look strong enough for the job.

They don't look all that strong though, but for the price :rolleyes:

50mm CDS, same as cage material fixed to bulkhead, chassis and cage...looks pretty strong to me without compromising things like access to engine with cross braces!

50mm CDS, same as cage material fixed to bulkhead, chassis and cage...looks pretty strong to me without compromising things like access to engine with cross braces!

Material strength aint worth toffee if it hasnt got anywhere to distribute the load to.

Single chassis mounting points on flimsey unbraced plates, mounting bars to the bulkhead will ultimately just crack the bulkhead as the front hoop will deflect under impacts, and no triangulation. Thats just at a glance :P

At best it's an innovative product, poorly executed to fill a void in the mass market.

At worst it's dangerous tat that, IMHO wouldn't do the job i'd be buying it to do.

Material strength aint worth toffee if it hasnt got anywhere to distribute the load to.

Single chassis mounting points on flimsey unbraced plates, mounting bars to the bulkhead will ultimately just crack the bulkhead as the front hoop will deflect under impacts, and no triangulation. Thats just at a glance :P

At best it's an innovative product, poorly executed to fill a void in the mass market.

At worst it's dangerous tat that, IMHO wouldn't do the job i'd be buying it to do.

Dangerous tat is a little over the top - it does exactly what its ment to do, replace wings that are ealily damaged with a tubular frame. You are of course welcome to your opinion however be alittle careful when macking such extreme statements! <_<

Dangerous tat is a little over the top - it does exactly what its ment to do, replace wings that are ealily damaged with a tubular frame. You are of course welcome to your opinion however be alittle careful when macking such extreme statements! <_<

Without any additional bracing or triangulation at the bulkhead mounting point i would be a little concerned that in a head on collision the wing bar could end up in the drivers chest.

To be honnest the first thin I thought was they look the business but i'd need to make some better mountings and maybe fit some triangulation (which I built into mine when I made them ) but you have the basic shape, brakets, pannels and tube work already done for you which is the bulk of the time! Also I wouldn't be too keen on attaching them to the bulkhead so I'd try and do something different there!

I think the real question is how strong do you build them? I gave my wing rails a real heavy bang on the muddy truckers into a solid tree at the bottom of a long drop. It bent the wing rail and pushed the cage (windscreen hoop) back a bit but it was easily repairable. I was glad I hadn't built them any stronger as transmitting all that force straight into the chassis may have caused damage that was a bit more of an issue to repair. Think there is a fine line between something that is built strong enough to stand up to heavy rubbing/brushing against tree's but will also bend enough under a heavy impact not to cause more serious chassis damage!

when i looked at these at peterbo they mount onto the front hoop of the cage so appear no different to how anyone elses wingbars attatch at the front?

I think a few are missing the point.........

They are not supposed to be Fia or Msa approved roll cage spec, they are just what they say they are Tubular wing frames.

They are a lot stronger than standard and give more protection than anything else available...........

That surely that makes them GOOD?

We can all pick holes, but the fact remains they do a very good job for less than a set of standard replacement wings, surely that is worth celebrating not remonstrating................

I think there great :P

If they had been available when i did the SV (5yrs ago) i would not have hesitated and if i wanted more trianglation i would have added my own :D

Carry on Shaun, i think you've got a great product :)

Jim :)

They are not supposed to be Fia or Msa approved roll cage spec, they are just what they say they are Tubular wing frames.

They are a lot stronger than standard and give more protection than anything else available...........

We can all pick holes, but the fact remains they do a very good job for less than a set of standard replacement wings, surely that is worth celebrating not remonstrating................

If they had been available when i did the SV (5yrs ago) i would not have hesitated and if i wanted more trianglation i would have added my own :D

This was kind of my point Jim, They are meant for protecting from rubbing against tree's etc when it gets a bit tight, not to make an indestructable front end coz lets face it to do that your gona have a mental heavy truck and when you do prang it hard enough something more serious is gona have to give!

when i looked at these at peterbo they mount onto the front hoop of the cage so appear no different to how anyone elses wingbars attatch at the front?

P1010010.jpg

Mine are braced to the sills, for triangulation.

P1010012.jpg

And at the front end the chassis is plated up and the tubes are welded directly to it.

As i said earlier Jim :P

They don't look all that strong though, but for the price :rolleyes:

Oooh Oooh, did somebody say "triangulation"????? :lol::ph34r:

Oh no, we've gone and got him all excited :lol:

Dan, I can see your point here but anything like this that isn't custom made will contain at least some element of compromise especially if you make them essentially bolt on. Yes, a little more triangulation would be beneficial but it generally seems to be a nice product and I'm sure Shaun would add extra bits and pieces if you asked. I also agree with your point about welding them but there are lots of people out there that neither can, nor want to, weld extra bits onto their trucks.

Looks good

does it retain the standard plastic wheel arches?

the bolt to the bulkhead would give me a little concern personally mine are welded to the rollcage so a hard frontal impact would hopefully avoid a

spearing incident.

Shaun it a decent supplier that builds excellent cages IMHO