Coil Spring Table Anyone?

EdF

Thanks, Mark, that was one of the lists I had previously. http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html Just wonder if it's still up to date... Fr'instance, are all D90's and Disco's the same as there's no mention of model years.. I'm trying to soften my 2002 90's suspension - I see that the normal 90 springs are rated as Disco HD! That seems to prove my point that it's HARD!

I'm trying to soften my 2002 90's suspension

I have just done the same, I had OME 763 on the back of a truck cab I purchased, it was solid, I have just had some D44 / OME from Devon 4x4, the ride is softer but still firm, they will not tell me the strengh of them as they say they will be copied and they have them made by OME just for them.

I have yet to test what the articulation will be like, I hope not to too stiff.

I've just been quoted £600 for OME springs and shocks all round (not fitted) with no guarantee they won't be 'firm' which I'm not prepared to gamble on.. As Paddocks sell springs from around £9 ex vat, I'm willing to give Range Rover ones a try again. After owning several 90's and after trying to do the same thing to all of the recent ones (gas shocks, adjustable shocks, RR springs) I've never found anything really worthwhile. What I can't understand is that no matter which retailer you look at for after market Defender suspension, they all offer 'heavy duty' stuff, never a 'comfort' ride. As the spring chart above shows 90's have heavy duty springs compared to a Disco, and as most people find a Defenders standard suspension hard in the first place, surely there's a market for those of us who want a bit of comfort with the vehicles suspension taking holes and bumps more like a car, not a jarring ride in which the entire vehicle pitches up and down instead of just the suspension. I know it's a utility vehicle, but Landys don't all get used for offroading... I think it's also a sign of age - mine..

Where did the quote come from ? Just had a reply from Frogs Island and they will supply a complete set of OME Springs and Dampers for a 90 for £408+vat.

Ivan

Thanks Red90 and Ivan, useful stuff, now I know that OME won't do! The quote was from an OME agent in sunny Inverness, which is my nearest town. I remember reading in a mag a couple of years ago about someone who had fitted adjustable air suspension to a 90, but the whole vehicle seemed to be 'money no object', if I remember correctly. Bet it would give a nice ride, though.

Ogden air?

Why not use the tables/s to get some longer and softer springs if that is what you want.

Combine them with gas shocks and the comfort should be what you want?

Hi, yes, that's the idea, just a question of guessing the right rating. I don't want any extra height, just a softer ride. Hoping to find a post on a forum from someone who has done it, but nothing yet.. Looks like RR or Disco springs..

Hi, yes, that's the idea, just a question of guessing the right rating. I don't want any extra height, just a softer ride. Hoping to find a post on a forum from someone who has done it, but nothing yet.. Looks like RR or Disco springs..

Not sure I understand what you are after. If I read correctly you have a 2002 TD5 90, but you don't mention what springs or shocks you have. Is this because you have standard factory fit? If so what is 90, TC, HT or CSW? Does it have factory HD suspension or standard for model.

Any mods? Winch, roll cage etc or anything else that would add to sprung weight? I also understand that you want to keep height at standard. Correct?

Given this we can start to provide some possible solutions for you to look at.

Cheers

Steve

Not sure I understand what you are after. If I read correctly you have a 2002 TD5 90, but you don't mention what springs or shocks you have. Is this because you have standard factory fit? If so what is 90, TC, HT or CSW? Does it have factory HD suspension or standard for model.

Any mods? Winch, roll cage etc or anything else that would add to sprung weight? I also understand that you want to keep height at standard. Correct?

Given this we can start to provide some possible solutions for you to look at.

Cheers

Steve

That's very kind of you, it's a bog standard 2002 TD5 hardtop with County pack with a Warn winch on the front. Suspension is all standard. There's a full roofrack when fitted but I'll only use it when absolutely necessary, hopefully never. We (self and wife) will be doing camping trips next year but apart from easy tracks I don't expect to be doing any offroading although becasue of where we're going we'll have a bit of weight - jerry cans, camping gear, etc.. All I want to do is get a softer, more comfortable ride where the suspension copes with holes and bumps in a more car-like fashion without the entire vehicle moving up and down so much. We are both at an age where the current suspension gets physically painful after a while with the jolting about. I'm not bothered about ride height, being lower (gasp!) wouldn't bother me. Thanks, in anticipation.

All I want to do is get a softer, more comfortable ride where the suspension copes with holes and bumps in a more car-like fashion without the entire vehicle moving up and down so much.

This is a common problem with a 90 as the wheelbase is, relatively, short and makes the task of getting it 'comfortable' really difficult on road at usual B road speeds of 40-60mph.

The best thing to do first of all is to fit a good on road damper and that is certainly DeCarbon. I've not found better for damping on road on a 90.

Springs - You are right, replacing with OME makes it too harsh for what you want. The Devon 4x4 springs are good at firm ride but supple but they will give you a +2" lift even with a winch on front.

You really need a spring around 200-230 lbs/" all round with a height of ~ 14.5" for the front to allow for your winch and give standard height. On the rear I wouldn't go above 230 lbs/" otherwise it will be too harsh and you want a height around 15.5 with a spring around the 225-230 lb/" grade to give you a nice level height front to rear.

Hope this helps

Steve

There is many a rumour that a certain make of orange spring :rolleyes: becomes naturally softer with age.

If this is the case I am sure there will be loads of people offering to sell you their old ones :D .

Seriously though the orange spring supplyer would gladly get springs made to what ever spec you should ask.

People are recommending changing your shocks? It could be that your current shocks are already too firm for your requirements?

Would it be worth considering changing your seats to a better quality after market item?

Just trying to think out of the box.

Hi Guys,

Why is it that LR specs handed springs whilst aftermarket uses same on both sides?

Any ideas?

I bought a set of rear HD springs from Paddocks as my 110 was listing to the left. But changing these springs has brought little improvement. I realise that Paddocks may not have the best spec springs but still doesnt explain the list! I am considering using one of the old LH springs and putting it on the RH side so they are both similar lengths.

What do you think?

I fitted a FFour 1" lift rear springs to my Lightweight hybrid (coiler) which are both same lengths and the LR lists to the Driver side.

What gives??

Sounds like you are in a similar predicament to me. Too much choice ! I'm trying to get the suspension sorted on my 300tdi Disco. I'm not after any lift but a slightly better on road ride but also suitable for greenlaning. After doing quite a bit of research and asking about I am seriously considering just fitting new original equipment. I suppose after 137,000 miles its quite likely the old ones are just a bit tired !!!!!!!! And then of course theres the question of bushes which seems to be another can of worms.

Jules

Thanks for the latest replies.. SteveG, you wrote "....You really need a spring around 200-230 lbs/" all round with a height of ~ 14.5" for the front to allow for your winch and give standard height. On the rear I wouldn't go above 230 lbs/" otherwise it will be too harsh and you want a height around 15.5 with a spring around the 225-230 lb/" grade to give you a nice level height front to rear.

This is a bit of a puzzle, as according to the chart the standard springs have a rating of 175 on the front and 225 on the back, so you're suggesting I put stronger springs on or leave them alone...? I was thinking of putting on 150 rating all round. As I think I wrote above, the rear 225 springs fitted as standard on the back are regarded as heavy duty items on a Disco and the Disco weighs 400Kg more than a 90. Personally, I think Land Rover stick the same suspension on all 90's so they provide all 90's with a set-up which can cope with four people in the back, which I've had in mine and it rode quite well. Trouble is, that was a one-off event for 5 minutes and there's usually no-one in the back. There are no seats in the back..

I'm not entirely happy about the chart as it seems out of date - probably from the mid 90's - and I'd like to see one that mentions TD5's at least. As I believe the TD5 engine/trans weighs more than the TDi lump, would Land Rover have left the suspension the same??

I certainly go along with the short wheelbase giving an 'effect' as I've had several Disco's and a 110 which were much different, but there are plenty of small cars around which don't have bad suspension. The most comfortable 90 I ever owned was around 1992 and was a 90 V8 County dating from the late 80's, but I believe all the bushes were well worn!

I believe that the weight of the vehicle is carried on the springs and the shock absorbers do just that, absorb and soften the up-down movement of the vehicle, so I don't think a shock absorber change on it's own would significantly alter the harshness of the suspension.

I think before I do anything else I'm going to power wash the old girl down (and the 90...) and see if the colour codes are still on the springs. I wonder if Land Rover would provide us with an up-to-date spring table... (Joke for the day!)

I have just done the same, I had OME 763 on the back of a truck cab I purchased, it was solid, I have just had some D44 / OME from Devon 4x4, the ride is softer but still firm, they will not tell me the strengh of them as they say they will be copied and they have them made by OME just for them.

I have yet to test what the articulation will be like, I hope not to too stiff.

That shows how much they know about springs.

The copier only needs to buy a set and measure them, it's not hard. Someone like Coil Spring Ltd would make you a set for 30-50 each. Hell if you wanted 100+ per weight/lenght you could get them for around £10 powder coated. I've had springs made for a little as £3 each but then I was having a few made. :P

After a good scrubbing I found that the springs were as the chart. (Front blue/green & blue/yellow, back blue/red & yellow/white). After some thought (Doh!) I've decided to order a set of Disco 1 front springs from Paddocks which are rated at 150lbs (175 standard) and I'll put the 175's from the front onto the back (225 standard). Don't panic, Land Rover swop springs about between axles. IMHO the 225's on the back are far too strong considering there's little weight on them unladen. The 225 springs are also used on the front of 110's (rated heavy duty) and 130's !! I'll see what the standard shocks are like with this spring setup as in my experience they've made little difference before, having tried Monroe gas shocks on one 90 and De Carbon adjustables on another. On going through my RAVE CD, I found that Disco 2 springs are purple on the front and purple/white on the back, neither appears on the chart. No rating was given. The 90 springs are listed in RAVE under General Spec. Data page 6 with their part nos. and colour codes.

I still can't figure out why so many 90 owners go for even heavier duty springs when it already has them. I read that you get better axle articulation offroad with softer springs, which seems to add up, so is all the heavy duty stuff to enable driving at 70mph over frozen ploughed fields?? ;)

Sounds like a good plan Ed though you may find it better to put the 150s in the rear and keep the 175s at the front.

If you get a chance stick the truck on a weigh bridge to get some axle weights and play with the sping estimator on my web site. Start of with your original springs and then dial in others to get a feel for the difference.

Note one downside of softening the springs is larger roll when cornering

Wot you are after is what I wanted and did to mine.

As trev and others have said, to getit right means a trip to the weighbridge front only back only then whole truck then use Trevs exellent spring calculator.

If you do a search their are some posts on mine, I have a 90 HT and soft springs which help with articulation - prob is I also had to cut the inner wheel boxes and lift them higher as wheels needed that space when flexing, as I did virtually zero lift but do have 34 simex, so you may not have this issue ?

Have a search and a read..

nige

Thanks for that guys, there's a weighbridge not far away. I'm not looking for axle articulation, as you may have guessed, only a comfortable ride on he road, although that adds up to the same thing..! I feel the front does need softening slightly, there's a thump from the front on hitting a bump, and then a bigger one from the back, which is even harder. I feel that in some instances the hard suspension acts against the roadholding qualities on the road as bumps can lift the vehicle (the whole vehicle lifting instead of just the suspension/axles lifting) so it can feel skitterish.. I think most drivers have experienced 'the Landy wheel bounce' as well, and I think it's best to have all four wheels stuck firmly to the road, especially in the winter as we had a dusting of snow yesterday! I shall report further in a week or so if I can survive the spring swop in the barn.. Cold weather and rusty nuts... ermmm... Nuf said...