Engine choice for trials/lanes etc?

HotRod

I'd appreciate your experiences on how Tdi engined LRs perform - I've trialled plenty of V8 hybrids in the past and am looking at getting something again to play with after a 10 yr gap.

Diesels are much more popular than they used to be -presumably because they've improved so much and LR have fitted nothing else to Defenders for many year now.

Question is how does a TDi perform for trials, is there much grunt compared to a good old V8? No problems for laning I'm sure, and for Challenge events a diesel chugging away must be ideal, just without the loverly burble! Fuel consumption another plus, though not such an issue for a 'weekend' vehicle

Is a 300 tdi much better than a 200tdi if looking at base vehicles? TD5 too new for me!

What are the main weak points if RTV trialling a Defender Tdi?

Grateful for your thoughts

I'd say the 200tdi is a little better for strength, but the 300tdi is a bit more power full.

v8 bit more power full than 300tdi and get the power a bit faster

for 2 years i've been doing RTVs in a 2.5TD i'm putting a 200tdi in to my 90.

mainly as the clutch has gone so take the TD out put a TDI back in.

so if i was wanting to buy a landy for doing RTVs i'd go for a 200TDI if money is limited

or a 300TDI if it wasn't, and a v8 if the power and sound, if i could run it as a day to day car.

Tim.

If I were trialing I would go for the V8. For green lanes though there is no way, it would have to be a diesel. One memorable laneing trip after a whole day of mixed driving in Wales the 2 V8 90s recorded 7MPG and the Tdis 25MPG. A no brainer IMHO - even LPG could only have softened that blow a little. ...of course we would have had to cross Wales to find any LPG.

Chris

200Tdi/300Tdi, Daihatsu 2.8TiD, Toyota 3.0ltr TD, Isuzu 2.8TiD or Td5.

Diesel has the lead on low rpm torque over most readily available V8's, all the above apart from the last have next to no electronics, all are hugely tuneable for additional low rpm torque...

As for petrol, the best trialling lump I have used was a 2.1pinto, closely followed by a bog standard Stromberg'd 3.5 Rover V8. The 2.25 petrol is a superb engine for trialling and laning and is very tuneable.