How safe is a 110 SW for passengers

i think generally, driving a Landrover slows you down, and for good reason really.

Let's face it, in a pile up on the motor way, who knows what could happen?

However, in close traffic, a 40/50 mile an hour smack will hurt you and you landy unless is head / rear on, but most traffic is lower then you, so your chance are good either way, unless you roll. but if you roll, then I think you are going either too fast, or off "really' off road. For the off road, they are a bit cheep looking, but fit a landy meter.

I own both a Clio, & a 110 SW.

I know which one I'd prefer to have an accident in..............................! :huh:

Then again, I'd prefer not to have any accidents.

Famous last words..............!

Then some pr*t in a well known Tyre replacement company van decided to plough into me. :angry:

Still sorting it out, as he's now trying to say it wasn't him? Pilchard :blink:

Bump14-01-08008.jpg

Made a nice mess of his van though! :rolleyes:

Picture1a.jpg

Does that mean that i can tip my 90 to 40 degrees without catching the grass in my teeth ?

Land Rover officially suggests 35 degrees as the maximum traverse angle.

I did one of their "experience days" a couple of years ago and they made me drive a side slope just shy of the maximum angle. I have to say I'd chicken out way before that - it felt more like 70 deg

Land Rover officially suggests 35 degrees as the maximum traverse angle.

I did one of their "experience days" a couple of years ago and they made me drive a side slope just shy of the maximum angle. I have to say I'd chicken out way before that - it felt more like 70 deg

Yes I did on my Land Rover Experience day. Like you say I'll chicken out in most circumstances well before my Defende will.

mike

Still sorting it out, as he's now trying to say it wasn't him? Pilchard :blink:

Why is it nobody owns up to it being their fault anymore? Every accident I hear about the person at fault refuses to accept responsibility. If yer make a mistake, put your hand up and say sorry.

Not only were you hit by them, you now have all the extra hassle of the claim not being sorted quickly. Aint fair.

Even goes as far as a woman who pulled out in front of a friend of ours who is a Police Officer, and is now saying it was his fault. :lol:

Oh, and I got hit 3 weeks ago by an uninsured driver who failed to stop. Needless to say nothing came of that one. :angry:

Getting back to roll cages. I think I have found a landy and would like to start looking at a cage. Is it possible to buy parts of them and fit yourself?

I ask because I thought that rather than buy a light bar, I might as well get the front section of a cage, fit that and then save up for the rest. But only if that is possible.

/Mad

Why is it nobody owns up to it being their fault anymore? Every accident I hear about the person at fault refuses to accept responsibility. If yer make a mistake, put your hand up and say sorry.

/Mad

The Gentleman in question pulled out of a side street with out looking.

Apparently as far as my Insurance Company is concerned, that is classed as the Third party being at fault!

Had there been someway of avoiding the impact I would've done so.

I don't make a habit of driving into other vehicles. :rolleyes:

Not only were you hit by them, you now have all the extra hassle of the claim not being sorted quickly. Aint fair.

Even goes as far as a woman who pulled out in front of a friend of ours who is a Police Officer, and is now saying it was his fault. :lol:

Oh, and I got hit 3 weeks ago by an uninsured driver who failed to stop. Needless to say nothing came of that one. :angry:

Getting back to roll cages. I think I have found a landy and would like to start looking at a cage. Is it possible to buy parts of them and fit yourself?

I ask because I thought that rather than buy a light bar, I might as well get the front section of a cage, fit that and then save up for the rest. But only if that is possible.

/Mad

its probably in your insurance documentation that you should not admit fault in the event of an accident. You fill out the forms saying what happened and their legal folks decide who was to blame etc. Meanwhile, you get on with life.

The Series Land Rovers are supposed to be OK to 45 degrees, I suspect Defenders are specced down a tad to discourage people driving right on the edge, and also because all that fancy trim and carpet makes them top-heavy :ph34r:

Actually I think it's down to having coil sprins.....The Southern Africans reckon that Defenders roll easier because of the coils.

Comments anybody.....

mike

Actually I think it's down to having coil sprins.....The Southern Africans reckon that Defenders roll easier because of the coils.

Comments anybody.....

mike

I can imagine that a series would have a lower centre of gravity. Those cart springs aren't light!

Isn't the body smaller as well (especially on the shorter 80, 86 and 88" chassis) with fewer SW variants.

With greater axle articulation, springs could lean more at the extreme as well.

Mind you, wasn't someone complaining that they make the Defenders out of thinner metal - that should help :P

But isn't that a monocoque chassis and the windscreen pillars are where the strength is?

/mad

A saloon/coupe monocoque doesn't have much strength in the A pillars without the roof. Normally a rag-top conversion will have additional strengthening around the windscreen (rollover) and additional stiffening added to the sills (scuttle shake and twisting).

I doubt that car would be allowed these days without some serious added protection. Doesn't bear thinking about in an accident :blink:

I've seen a Defender on a straight ghravel road with the left door pillar bent and the roof corner down to the bulkhead.

It didn't look as it it had rolled. However one of the heavily laded roof racks was on the ground behind the car. They were sweeping broken bottles up, I hope it wasn't beer or cider :rolleyes: It looked as if the rack had come l;oose or broken and flipped forward taking the pillar......

mike

I doubt that car would be allowed these days without some serious added protection. Doesn't bear thinking about in an accident :blink:

True, but they is just a sign of the way health and safety has taken over and legislation has been tightened. Years ago people rode bikes without crash helmets, didn't wear seat belts, drove Series Landrovers with tilt off and screen folded flat etc.

I'm not saying that it was safer then - just the accepted thing. These days we are all more aware of the risks which is a good thing, and of course the roads are busier.

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of the health and safety culture for its own sake but your point about the roads getting busier is important - conditions have changed since those heady days.

Roads busier, cars faster and don't even get me started on the kids of today! :P