How else trashed there brakes at slab

jules

Well the Range Rover needed all new pads all round after Slab common last weekend.

Not that it's a new thing as the site is well known for increasing your brake wear massively

So as above spent most of Saturday morning replacing the pads all round

anyone else in the same boat :)

Jules I went through three sets last year in my off roader, And did only 1100 miles , And Ive never been to Slab.

I used lockheed pads , but I think regardless of the quality of pads they still wont stand up to a grinding paste of sandy muddy slop.

Yep, my rangie eats brake pads. It all depands on what type of mud you are driving through. I usually drive on sand or gloopy mud so when the sand mixes with water it turns into grinding paste which the attacks your pads :( Sometimes in the winter when I am out motocross, the bad weather can cause the mud to eat the pads and will wear away a brand new set of pads to the metal in 6hrs!! :o

Haven't actually checked mine but it stops OK at the moment. Got the sand out of my clutch that's the main thing :o

Drove home, got to Hindhead, shoved foot on brakes and winced :huh:

Drove the rest of the way on the gearbox :D

After cleaning it (about 4 hours) removed wheels and set of pads all around 2x rears to almost nothing, fronts not far behind.

ALL pads were new before the AWDC day of thee 27th, so that day plus the SLRC 30th was a set of pads in two events :lol:

Nige

Slab common ate:

my pads

my alternator

my bearings

my power steering pump

on an event a while ago. We were driving like looneys (safely I am sure :) ) but it was still a bit of a shock at the repair bill after a 3 day event.

God it was a good weekend :)

Try running a set of harder compound pads; like mintex 1144's, more expensive than standard pads but stop better and seem to last better in the sandy gloop. They can squeak a bit though at low road speed on light braking. I used to get about 4-6k out of the rears & 8-10k on the fronts.

Mark.

Try running a set of harder compound pads; like mintex 1144's, more expensive than standard pads but stop better and seem to last better in the sandy gloop. They can squeak a bit though at low road speed on light braking. I used to get about 4-6k out of the rears & 8-10k on the fronts.

Mark.

4-6K

Think I managed about 180 miles in total on this set !

I already have a squeak - anyone daft enough to sit in my passenger seat on or off road

At around £10 pair F or R for Mintex I can live with it, I don't think drilled and slotted (and vented on the front) helps at all :lol:

Nige

4-6K

Think I managed about 180 miles in total on this set !

I already have a squeak - anyone daft enough to sit in my passenger seat on or off road

At around £10 pair F or R for Mintex I can live with it, I don't think drilled and slotted (and vented on the front) helps at all :lol:

Nige

Is it Mr. Kwik Fit that offers disc pads for the life of the vehicle, could be an interesting idea to try and yes I know Slab common and its pad eating ways very well, I'm afraid there just aint no answer to to the abresive qualities of sand and goo, if there is I and the rest of the universe don't know it so all I do is use my Halfrauds trade card a good deal and change them very very often.

The Racer would only use a set of pads a year...

but thats only about 800miles tops

I could only get GP ones at short notice and the range had the pads it cam with in it. Stunning told me I would need pads if I was oing to Slab, Next time it will be EBC blacks as I normaly use in my trucks......

The pads in my Rangie have so far lasted a record breaking 2 years!! ;):lol:

Luckily for me the pads in the Freebie didn't take too much of a hammering as Slab... but thats mainly because it didn't leave the car park too much!! :lol:

Has the rangy moved in that time :lol::lol::lol::lol::ph34r: