What bulbs for Crystal headlights?

smo

Does anyone have any experience of these headlights??

any good?

I've been asking around today and general concensus is excellent, much much much better than the standard or alternative units, espeically as the housings are now e-marked unlike the older ones!

I had a set of These on a previous Defender,, certainly an improvement,, and under half the price, came with no bulbs if i remember right !!

Half the price because they are sold seperatly!! Padocks sell with bulbs as a pair.

I've got the Wipac ones on my series 2.Much better than the old sealed beams,but not that much different to standard halogen lenses.

Halfords sell 80/100 bulbs,which is a bit irresponsible of them.Also available on ebay from many sellers.

The devon lights appear to be exactly the same,but cost £16 each without bulbs so are no cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience of these headlights??

any good?

Hi,

I fitted a pair of these lights to my Range Rover about 4 months ago & they are a 110% better than the standard ones I removed B) I would have fitted them a long time ago if I had known how good they are!

One thing to remember is the bulbs should have the "U" symbol on the numbers on the bulb due to the lights having a plastic front!

Taken from the Osram website-

"The uppercase "U" indicates a UV-reduced lamp in accordance with ECE requirements (e.g. for use in plastic headlights)"

Hope this helps....

Guest diesel_jim
Halfords sell 80/100 bulbs,which is a bit irresponsible of them.Also available on ebay from many sellers.

Why irresponsible? on all of their non MoT compliant bulbs they're marked "not for road use", so it's up to the buyer whether he uses them on road or not.

"The uppercase "U" indicates a UV-reduced lamp in accordance with ECE requirements (e.g. for use in plastic headlights)"

Can't see a "U" on mine, but the box is marked with "UV Cut" (in a little circle) and "Suitable for plastic headlights". Perhaps the "U" is an Osram thing?

Ooops - looked again: Although there is no "U" on the box there is one on the bulb, but I bet the seller wouldn't be too chuffed if you removed the bulb from the box to check that... I would imagine that all H4s nowadays would be suitable for plastics... Wouldn't they?

My local spares toy-shop sells H4s upto 100/120watt, but (IMHO) UV Cut or not, I would be weary of putting high powered bulbs in plastic lensed headlights due to their increased heat output.

Also - if you do decide to fit higher wattage bulbs - don't forget to beef up the wiring and/or fuses as required... ;)

TwoSheds

p.s. Nice to hear the unanimous approval of the Paddocks lamps - think I'll get some ordered :)

p.p.s. Are there really 'E' marked H4s with higher wattages than standard?