How long?

Exmoor Beast

The Disco has been back on the road for a few days nowafter me doing the head/P gasket and all manner of other odds and ends, all behaving well so I took her for a pootle.

Gloomy Exmoor in January :)

swy10.JPG

Got a 300mile round trip for Friday, if she behaves then maybe I can take the 110 off the road and start ripping it to bits :)

How long should I be worrying about it until I trust that its not going to overheat again? So far its done about 200miles in 20-30mile runs...

Will :)

it's always a worrying time after engine work, was paranoid about everything after rebuilding the engine in my xr4x4 (rings, bug ends, valves etc) even after 700 miles of careful running in.

Best bet is to just keep an eye on fluids etc during the first 500 miles, and if anything looks amiss have a careful poke about, in the words of The Hitchikers Guide - Don't Panic. :)

Have you had it wound up to speed on the main road? I mean the A30 or the M5, not what passes for a main road out there in the sticks!!

Chris

LOL at speed, at speed :) don't make me laugh!

I have done a few laboured hard climbs, 1000ft over 2miles or worse, deliberately a gear higher than I ideal to get the EGT up. Everything seems fine.

300miler on A361/M5....on friday so I guess that will tell, must remember to take the RAC card. :huh:

its very simple no matter how long you wait be it 3 months or 6 months or longer for the discovery to prove it self you can guarantee it will fail the day after you start stripping the 110.

its very simple no matter how long you wait be it 3 months or 6 months or longer for the discovery to prove it self you can guarantee it will fail the day after you start stripping the 110.

Good point, I will give the Mini the once over before the 110 gets put beyond swift re-use ;)

Stop worrying & enjoy the fruits of all the hard labour :D

Easier said than done Ralph, I have never trusted the damn thing since it blew a core plug on the M5 with a box trailer full of cakes behind it :( That escapade obviously weaked every hose and gasket on the thing, loads of hoses and gaskets (including two head gaskets and a head skim) later I am beginning to wonder if I should have just pressed on that day on the M5 and hoped it caught fire ;)

Easier said than done Ralph, I have never trusted the damn thing since it blew a core plug on the M5 with a box trailer full of cakes behind it :( That escapade obviously weaked every hose and gasket on the thing, loads of hoses and gaskets (including two head gaskets and a head skim) later I am beginning to wonder if I should have just pressed on that day on the M5 and hoped it caught fire ;)

eat a lot of cakes do you? :rolleyes:

How long should I be worrying about it until I trust that its not going to overheat again? So far its done about 200miles in 20-30mile runs...

If your memory is anything like mine Will then 15 minutes should about do it! :hysterical:

My memory is shocking Bish, I can remember phone numbers of people I haven't worked with in years but I spend ages stod in Londis wondering what the 3 things I came in for were.

Tomorrow will tell with the Discovery. I think I am getting nearer and nearer to buying a Disco2 V8 by the day though :unsure: