What winch?

Paul Humphreys

Right I am now looking for a winch. I need to get a winch bumper aswell, but I can sort that.

So to a winch, I am thinking of a Superwinch Husky either a 10000lb or if I can find one a 12000lb one. I am not after speed but reliability as it will not be used that oftern.

But what others are on the market? I know about the Jap/China carp ones on ebay (before anyone says I know I now have a Jap 4x4)

Warn do lots of winches, but I know people have had trouble with water getting into them.

Paul

I am assuming you are looking at electric winches?

I stand to be corrected but any electric winch in stock form will suffer from water ingress to a greater or lesser extent. Also an electric winch really needs to be exercised periodically to keep it ticking over so if you go electric and don't expect to use it a lot plan to give it a run out from time to time.

Husky's are very reliable but are slow and relatively expensive.

For a lot less money you could have a superwinch EP9 or EP12 (I think) which at the moment are about the best bang for your buck IMHO.

BTW, you will get a different reply and opinion from everyone who replies! It is just that type of topic!! :)

For a lot less money you could have a superwinch EP9 or EP12 (I think) which at the moment are about the best bang for your buck IMHO.

BTW, you will get a different reply and opinion from everyone who replies! It is just that type of topic!! :)

I agree with Bish ;);););)

Cheers

Steve

Well my last winch was a Hydraulic with a PTO pump on the 110. Inever had the need to use it in 2 years for my self. But it was nice to know it was there. So I am use to not haveing a fast winch. Speedis not important to me, just getting out if I am stuck. Superwinch it is then.

So I am off to look at prices now.

Paul

A Husky 10 or 12 will be very heavy, hanging on the front, a Husky 8 would be a good allround very reliable unit, they hold a good 2nd hand price too, bought mine 2nd hand over 10years ago for 400quid inc bumper to suit & recently bought another for my revcovery trailer for the same amount.

Right I am now looking for a winch. I need to get a winch bumper aswell, but I can sort that.

So to a winch, I am thinking of a Superwinch Husky either a 10000lb or if I can find one a 12000lb one. I am not after speed but reliability as it will not be used that oftern.

But what others are on the market? I know about the Jap/China carp ones on ebay (before anyone says I know I now have a Jap 4x4)

Warn do lots of winches, but I know people have had trouble with water getting into them.

Paul

Me and my friend got a tmax 11000 (he 2) for over 2 years, not a race winch but really strong and reliable, i use with stock battery, last 8 month it has got broken one of the two bar that held together by steel rope then non in axis and working at 50%, but unstoppable, never did anything to it,

if needed i will buy same other tomorrow...

On my sign, the youtube link put you in my video home page, the first video on right gives you an idea how i use it ;)

Ah i forgot, is very cheap

Hope is helpin you :)

On paper the comeup ds9.5 is very good. Basicly, the spec is almost identical to the warn 9.5ti which is double the price and in terms of performance, it beats the ep9. I have a comeup dv9000i and performs very well, as good as the ep9. The ds9.5 is around £399 and its pulling speed and power is very impressive. This would be my personal choice :)

The come up has an internal brake which is a bit of a no no for use with plasma, whoops! Sorry Andy T, I mean synthetic winch rope :P !

Of course, if you are sticking with steel then that is not a problem, unless of course you change your mind down the road and switch to plasma, aargh, I mean synthetic!! :lol:

I have a G10 on the front of my truck and have been using synthetic rope for a couple of years now. When the rope gets taken off the first layer that is in contact with the drum is very stiff and looks black but hasn't caused me any problems so far. I must admit that it gets greased when I think about it and hasn't been off my truck in almost 3 yrs for a service and it hasn't let me down yet.

The come up has an internal brake which is a bit of a no no for use with plasma, whoops! Sorry Andy T, I mean synthetic winch rope :P !

You must be thinking of another winch Bish. The come-up has an end cone brake not one in the drum, same as ep9 in fact. There's very little difference between an ep9 and come-up dv9000. Same goes for come-up 9.5, just has an uprated motor and a curvy enclosure ;)

Cheers

Steve

BoshBish,

A font of usless, inaccurate knowledge as usual!!

Right about the Plasma/synthetic debate however - exception that proves the rule!!

Andy-T.

Of course, if you are sticking with steel then that is not a problem, unless of course you change your mind down the road and switch to plasma, aargh, I mean synthetic!! :lol: