Bending blue band (without it collapsing!)

seabo

Currently trying to build back hoop for cage using 48.3mmOD blue band (3.5mm wall) using a hydraulic pipe bender

Closest die is 50mm but causes too much deformation

Have tried lining with thin plate - less deformaion but get small amount of rippling on inner radius.

Have tried grinding out a smaller die - worst bend yet!

Cannnot seem to source a die in the right size - closest being 50mm or 2"

Any suggestions?

Currently trying to build back hoop for cage using 48.3mmOD blue band (3.5mm wall) using a hydraulic pipe bender

Have tried lining with thin plate - less deformaion but get small amount of rippling on inner radius.

Any suggestions?

have a watch of this....

not tried it yet so don't know if it works ... So do post back your results with pictures :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

I had this problem last year,bought 12 lenghts of blue band(bs1387) and it kept on kinking,so i hired a proper bender,still kinked.

In the end the people who i got it from phoned their surplier and found out that some of the metal coming china at the moment has a high carbon content making it brittle.My surplier give me a full refund and i a bought a flat packed rollcage from malcom whitbead(highly recommended)instead.

Ian

I had this problem last year,bought 12 lenghts of blue band(bs1387) and it kept on kinking,so i hired a proper bender,still kinked.

In the end the people who i got it from phoned their surplier and found out that some of the metal coming china at the moment has a high carbon content making it brittle.My surplier give me a full refund and i a bought a flat packed rollcage from malcom whitbead(highly recommended)instead.

Ian

when we had probs bending ours we found using loads of lube (wd40) on the rollers and die helped

might be worth a try

when we had probs bending ours we found using loads of lube (wd40) on the rollers and die helped

might be worth a try

I tried that still didnt work,the tube was so hard it cracked the former on my bender(machine mart),at first i thought it was just the formers being carp quailty.So i hired a rothenberger bender,the tube still kinked,i then tried some scaffold tubing and it bent it perfectly with no marks whatso ever.After this i got the hump and ordered the flatpacked cage.

Ian

I was told by my supplier (Booles at Stockport) that if you want to bend blue band only consider using Chorus British steel pipe because the foreign imported cheaper stuff stands a high chance of kinking, deorming, and therefore loads of wastage so ending upcosting more.

We've made several full cages with a Clarke bender and Chorus steel and so far the only wastage was self inficted i.e. carp measuring.

Tray backing mine next week and watch all me pipe kink and deform following this post.

I've just bent up a full vehicle cage with Corus BS pipe (48x3), and a cheaper version of the clarke bender, with almost perfect bends. There is very minor defermation on the inside of 90 degree bends but not enough to be concerned. I used the 40mm die, as this is closet to the bore diameter. Ask your pipe supplier where it came from. Best of british, or cheap chinese :ph34r: ?

I've just bent up a full vehicle cage with Corus BS pipe (48x3), and a cheaper version of the clarke bender, with almost perfect bends. There is very minor defermation on the inside of 90 degree bends but not enough to be concerned. I used the 40mm die, as this is closet to the bore diameter. Ask your pipe supplier where it came from. Best of british, or cheap chinese :ph34r: ?

Are you doing a write up on your build?

landrover598 i cant find your buildup, can you link me please :)

you guys watched the youtube video... packing it with sand must really work, im so glad i watched that now.

landrover598 i cant find your buildup, can you link me please :)

you guys watched the youtube video... packing it with sand must really work, im so glad i watched that now.

When my cage was modified I took it to the Blacksmith Instr at the local camp to me. They pinched 1 end with the power hammer to seal it up then poured sand in. Used a wooden plug to seal the other end. Applied a small bit of heat with the oxy and then put it through the bender. Worked a treat. Then welded a small radius of 5mm plate on the inside to futher strenghten. Only prob is that I then reversed into a small tree and bent the rear X member and thE cage with it. So now have to get a new rear section made up. Will be going the same route as with regards to bending

Note Corus recomend a minimum bend of 5D (5 x tube outside dimeter) on blue band steel, or 3D on red band. All cheapo benders work on 3D so you should go for red band or go with a techinic like that in the utube video.

Also due to the heating involved you should avoid bending galvanised tube at all.

Corus supply Red Band in natural finish, galvanised, or primed in red or black. Best size for cages is 40mm NB (nominal bore) which measures 48mm OD with a 4mm wall. A little heavy, yes, but easy to bend and weld.