Body Cappings

My 1995 90 300 tdi has some fairly significant corrosion on the n/s body capping by the rear door. It is too far gone to repair so I am thinking of replacing it instead. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? Do I need to replace the entire capping or is it possible to just do sections? I assume that I will have to take off the van sides in order to complete this and seal the new ones effectively. All responses gratefully received!

Yeah,it's really a quick job.

I,on the other side,choosed to have the cappings sandblasted and galvanized,and the s-blaster bent them.

Now they won't fit anymore :angry:

In my next life I'll buy new cappings...

:(

Guest diesel_jim

Having just stripped some cappings off of an old 110 tub, i can tell you that the rear corner bits are just riveted on (as are the vertical corner ones that the rear lights screw through)

BUT, the long ones that run the length of the body are riveted and bonded on (i've stripped a couple of bodies now, and the long pieces have all been bonded on) which makes them a right royal PITA to get off.

a good tip is to drill the rivets, then run a blowtorch up and down the long pieces, getting them nice and hot, that seems to "melt" or soften the bonding, and they just pull off easily then.

I bought mine a few years ago from my local independant LR dealer. Can't remember price but came galv'd already.

The top part used to be 2 parts (long run then the rear corner parts) but the set I got were all 1 piece for the 90. I didn't replace the vertical part which the lamps bolt to.

Was easy to do but as mentioned above, they were bonded but a little lift, wait for it to peel a little then lift again seemed to do the job. Think I also squirted some brake cleaner in underneath. That seems to unstick stuff!

Had to redrill the holes in the cappings as didn't align with the old holes in the body tub but not a great drama and externally, nothing changes. Only inside there are some holes in the cappings that aren't used.

Easy job to do and makes it look so much better than rust stained dribble marks in the usual places. Shame I now put dents in all the flat panels at challenge events but the cappings look nice!

Recommended if you have access to air supply, buy an air riveter.(if you havent already got one) Just done the same job on mine plus various other riveting jobs & my wrist was in agony from the force of the rivets snapping. As stated by somebody else, try ebay always a few on there

Ade