90 Tank Capacity

Hmmm, Thanks chaps but which is it :blink:

00my user manual general data shows the tank as having a capacity 60 ltrs (13.2 gallons) but I assume that's for the rear tank as it's 2000 model year.

Anyone got a 300Tdi manual to hand that they can check the data in ?

Mo

Cheers sheepchap.

I've just noticed in the above official user manual that the 110 of the same vintage has a capacity of 75ltrs (16.5 gallons).

So I deduce that either 90 and 110 rear tanks are different OR the above figure for the 2000 my 90 is for a side tank, hmmm.

The reason I ask is that my fuel light is solidly on with 35 to 40 ltrs used and I want to tweak the float arm for the sender to get a little more realism :) If the capacity IS 60 ltrs then I still have 20-25 ltrs in the tank when the light comes on !

Food for thought

Mo

My 2005 TD5 has a (rear) tank of 60ltrs, according to the manual, but trial and eror proved the capacity to be only 58ltrs...

The warning light comes on with about 45-48ltrs used, so not unlike yours. I just watch the odometer after the light comes on to determine how long I have to find a gas station. ;)

If the capacity IS 60 ltrs then I still have 20-25 ltrs in the tank when the light comes on !

Just enough time to locate the nearest petrol station and coast in on vapours.... (Unless you are in a diseasel where you have a few days to locate the station.....)

Just enough time to locate the nearest petrol station and coast in on vapours.... (Unless you are in a diseasel where you have a few days to locate the station.....)

Very true. :)

I do 300 miles in the 90, light comes on. Do another 30 and needle drops off the bottom of the gauge. Do another 30 and fill up with a gallon still spare in the tank.

A little investigation shows that the tank firtted to 90's from VIN AA (1985 ish) to VIN XA ( thats when the change to rear tank came in) is 12 Imp Gallons or 54.553L or 1845.2 fluid Oz or 14.11 US gallons :P ...............the tank is NRC9225

This i can confirm as I often (on particular trip) get it to the point where I brim off with 52L

The 110/130 is 18 gallons or 81.83L or 2767.8 Fluid Oz or 21.617 US Gallons.

Secondary avaiable fuel tanks are ESR4132 which is 15 Imp Gallons (work out the rest yourself) and NTC2110 which is 10 imp Gallons

:P

Ian

Its almost 55L. I am suprised there is so much speculation. 80 in a 110.. Here is the data sheet with all the info if you want to check for yourself.

The fuel warning light annoyed me becuase it was always on under half a tank so I just took the bulb out. They are always known for that becuase there isnt much in the way of baffles in the tank to stop it sloshing around.

DEFENDER.PDF

Its almost 55L. I am suprised there is so much speculation. 80 in a 110.. Here is the data sheet with all the info if you want to check for yourself.

The fuel warning light annoyed me becuase it was always on under half a tank so I just took the bulb out. They are always known for that becuase there isnt much in the way of baffles in the tank to stop it sloshing around.

In my 1985 V8 hybrid the tank is 12 gal (original V8 tank)!!! Great for a trip to the petrol station and back and then time to go back to fill up again!!

Glad I have 30 galls of LPG :P

After seeing it in another thread here I'm defo going to fit a TD5 tank on my 90 and run dual tanks. I cant quite get 250 miles out of mine (atually normally get about 230!!) with my 200tdi. I want more range for the dodgy parts of eastern europe and soon further out.

disconnect my buld!

pre td5 - 90 - 55L

90 - td5 - 60L

was just looking at extra tanks Safari equip do 50L side tanks for £300 IIRC cheaper to go with a std one.

So anyone here fitted a side or extra tank to a td5 spec?

Mo - you thinking long range for the trip too?

The way I planned to do it was to have both tanks piped into a valve controled by a solenoid. Bith level senders wired to the same switch as the solenoid switch and just flick from one to the other. There is no fuel pump in tdi tanks (there was in my tank becuase it was a petrol engine originally so I removed it)

Its a pretty simple job, the main pain for me will the the mechanical side of things with putting together the second filler point without it looking like a bodge.

The way I planned to do it was to have both tanks piped into a valve controled by a solenoid. Bith level senders wired to the same switch as the solenoid switch and just flick from one to the other. There is no fuel pump in tdi tanks (there was in my tank becuase it was a petrol engine originally so I removed it)

Its a pretty simple job, the main pain for me will the the mechanical side of things with putting together the second filler point without it looking like a bodge.

why not have the 'extra' tank with a pump and just transfer the fuel to the main tank? then no need for 2nd engine feed/filters or fuel gauge reworks. you know how much fuel you have gauge + capacity of small tank.

There wouldnt be any of that. both tanks would share the same filter and same gauge as only one of them would be active at a time. It will simmilar as in the SIII with the twin tanks and the switch between the drivers legs although I would use an electronic switch on the dash.

Just rered your post. I wasnt planning on having a small tank. I'm going to put a TD5 fuel tank in the place its meant to be. Its the same if not larger capacity of my current tank.

The side tank for the 90 is also used as an additional tank on 130s and some models of 110. In the older oneten parts catalogues (paper variety) they are described as being 15 gallons, then another tank, in the same catalogue, that fits on the same brackets and is the same shape, but has the sender unit in a different location, is described as a 12 gallon tank. If Land Rover cannot decide what the capacity is, what chance do we, mere mortals, have?

the 80 litre 110 tank is the original, steel, variety fitted up 'til the introduction of the plastic tank on the TD5

If you are going to use a solenoid valve between the 2 supplies, don't forget to fit another in the return, unless you are happy with the idea of it always returning to one tank

There wouldnt be any of that. both tanks would share the same filter and same gauge as only one of them would be active at a time. It will simmilar as in the SIII with the twin tanks and the switch between the drivers legs although I would use an electronic switch on the dash.

Just rered your post. I wasnt planning on having a small tank. I'm going to put a TD5 fuel tank in the place its meant to be. Its the same if not larger capacity of my current tank.

I mis read your original post, i read filler as filter!