110 Station wagon / double cab

Hi,

Was thinking of going back to a rover as my everday car and was wondering just how a 110 is as an everday vehicle? I could make do with a 90 but can see a big advantage of having the extra space of the 110. My concerns are parking and general around town driving. Also, what would the difference in fuel consumption / performance between similarly engined 90's and 110's? I have a 90 as a 2nd vehicle so am not really too worried about the difference in off-road ability but would be using it for camping and holidays with a (vapour) trip to North Africa a possibility. I've had a disco and it disintegrated , so I don't want another.

Any comments from anyone who drives a 110 as an everyday vehicle would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Martin

I used a 300TDi 110 for one year and then Td5 110 CSW for two years to commute 400 miles per week with no problems.

Now doing it in a 90, which is a bit more bouncy on uneven roads (110 was very stable due to longer wheelbase) but easier to park.

Overall I found the 110 very stable, comfortable and quiet at 70mph. (with disco II transfer gears)

You can also fit a huge amount of stuff in the back. The last 110 I took to Croatia for a few weeks and they do make a great vehicle for trips.

They are good around town as people seem to naturally give you more space, even though a defender is not very wide.

Richard

I now drive a 110 every day after about 6 years with a Discovery (and lots of years with Series vehicles before). I think it's great, although the turning circle in my office car park occasionally makes for a few moments of fun.

I've also got two small children (3 yr old twins) that I take to nursery every day, so there's lots of locking and unlocking of doors. It's not a big deal, but I do plan to fit central locking at some point.

You can get loads of stuff in the back :) As I permanently have two child seats bolted in the second row, I'm finding the bigger load space a real bonus over the Discovery.

It is noisier than the Discovery and I'm not sure I'd be quite so keen if I had a long commute, but it's a very subjective thing and some people are more concerned about it than others. Other than that I find it a very comfortable ride and seating position (I've got Disco seats in the front). I'm also lucky in that I can use my wifes' Disco II for longer journeys if necessary :)

They are good around town as people seem to naturally give you more space, even though a defender is not very wide.

Opposite out of town, especially on narrow lanes, where they expect you to go half way into the hedge so they don't get their tyres dirty! ;);)

As per Richard, the 110 is more comfy and quiter than 90, but turning circle and general manouverability and parking are better in 90. 110 is not difficult as it's narrow than most saloons and shorter than most estates/modern 4x4's, it's just it's turning circle that lets it down.

110 takes longer to warm up so heated seats and windscreen of a winter pack is a good choice! ;)

I have a 90 Hardtop and 110XS as daily drivers and both are good. Long motorway journeys can become tiresome with noise and you have to choose your multi storey car parks etc in city centres, but other than that they are great vehicles. Depreciation is low and you should get about 27-30mpg. Even on my modded 90 with mud terrains and extra weight I get 25-27mpg on average.

Cheers

Steve

I have an '02 110 CSW which is my daily driver in which I do about 15,000 miles a year. It is noisier and slower than the Discovery I had before but I feel these drawbacks are outweighed by its practicality and versatility. Its load carrying capacity is enormous, I frequently load mine like Dave K does his, it can carry 9 people and it's great off-road. Mine has been entirely reliable over the 35,000 miles I've covered in it and I expect about 28-32mpg.

Parking in tight spaces can be a bit awkward but it's not a wide vehicle and so will usually fit! Round town I find I get plenty of room from other drivers.

Apart from anything else, it's great fun!

Phil.

110 as my daily driver for the last 6 or so years. I find the sedentary pace on the motorway relaxing, rather than trying to hammer down the road. Just turn up the radio :)

As others have said, it's high and narrow, so round town is not a problem. The fact that the front of the truck ends where you see it, and that the mirrors are the widest point means you can place it accurately.

Turning circle takes a bit of an adjustment to your driving, using all of the road to negotiate sharp corners. Where you really notice it, is the lack of lock when reverse parallel parking. Rear visibility, even without the spare wheel on the back isn't great (as vehicles are usually below you) and tipping a parked eurobox with a hitch and bumperettes on rear of a 110 is going to do a bit of damage. :lol: So despite not being overly long, you need a longish space to get into.

Other than that, it's brilliant, plus you get to wave at other LRs wave.gif

I sold our BMW M5 to get a 110 as the family car. Definitely the right choice!

Admittedly it's an 07, so you get a few more creature comforts (working heater and 6th gear) but I commuted in a Td5 90 before that and would have happily lived with that in a 110 as our only car.

110 gives you tons of space. Especially useful for me now with kids - even popping out for a few hours requires military campaign levels of equipment.

Much more stable than the 90 and less choppy. Fuel consumption is virtually the same from 90 to 110 (although I don't get the same out of the Puma engine as I did from the Td5).

Round town driving isn't an issue - I even drive quite a bit in London with those stupid, tiny roundabouts. The only time that the turning circle hurts is when parking. Tight car parks take a bit more fiddling and reversing into a bay is a joke. However, I've never really struggled - I just do one of those Austin Powers 32 point turns :)

Personally I'd go for a SW. Having the ability to put longer through-loads in is a real bonus. The back of the double cab is actually quite short - and obviously isn't secure. They look the business though.

What else can I say. Both my wife and I are really pleased we made the switch.

We run a 1996 Defender 110 station wagon as our every day car. I can't say that I've had any problems, apart fron it being invisable, I do tend to reverse into parking bays in car parks but I do that all the time.

Six monmths and 19,500 km in Southern Africa haven't made me think of or want anything else.

mike

Had quite a few 90's & 110's and currently have an '07 110 XS. Extra space and seating in the 100 is a big bonus although not much difference in load space if all the seats are being used. 100's a bit more cumbersome but that is made up by the less bouncy ride. I've never found the additional size a handicap around town (apart from some height barriers) as in reality the footprint isn't greatly different to a large saloon.

I bought my 110 from the MoD police, it had 110k on it and was in need of TLC.

First weekend I had it, it went to Spain on back of a lorry, with a car trailer, and then brought it back with another 110 on the back.

Have refurbished seats with Exmoor G4 trim, heaters included, moved driver seat back, replaced gearbox and transfer boxes (Disco gears - what a change), and MSS lockable steel cubby, with Sony radiod/cd and IPod Connector, speakers on dog guard, sub woofers, and rubber matting thoughout. fitted reversing sensors and bought Steve's NAS towstep, Deepdish allys with 265/75R16s

Now done almost 130k, and nanocom sees no faults !

Drive it 100miles per day and love every minute of it.

Electric windows and central locking ready to be installed. Would love a soft bull bar, but just missed em at bargain price.

Its white and very big !

What's that in proper money ?? :blink::rolleyes:

mike

I normally use inches and feet but thought I would help out those from countries where they do it wrong.

Here are the figures from Wiki(pinch of salt)pedia:

Length 160.5 in (4077 mm)

Height 80.2 in (2037 mm)

Width 70.5 in (1791 mm)

Length 181.1 in (4600 mm)

Height 84 in (2134 mm)

Width 70.5 in (1791 mm)

/Mad

I used to run a TD5 110 as an everyday car and did 70,000 miles in it with no problems. I did fit overdrive for relaxed motorway cruising at just over the legal limit lol.

I went to an Audi (via a P38) as everyday transport and now back to a 110 CSW (07 model) in which I've done 12,500 miles since last May as an everyday car. Central locking, electric windows and heated bits make it more pleasant and I can't thnk of any downsides other than height barriers in some car parks and the turning circle - but that isn't a problem once you get used to it.

Here are the figures from Wiki(pinch of salt)pedia:

Length 160.5 in (4077 mm)

Height 80.2 in (2037 mm)

Width 70.5 in (1791 mm)

Length 181.1 in (4600 mm)

Height 84 in (2134 mm)

Width 70.5 in (1791 mm)

/Mad

And from the Defender brochure:

90 (SW/HT with 750/235 tyres)

Length 153 in (3894 mm)

Height 80 in (2021 mm)

Width 70 in (1790 mm)

110 (SW/HT with 750/235 tyres)

Length 183 in (4639 mm)

Height 80 in (2021 mm)

Width 70 in (1790 mm)

Hi,

Was thinking of going back to a rover as my everday car and was wondering just how a 110 is as an everday vehicle? I could make do with a 90 but can see a big advantage of having the extra space of the 110. My concerns are parking and general around town driving. Also, what would the difference in fuel consumption / performance between similarly engined 90's and 110's? I have a 90 as a 2nd vehicle so am not really too worried about the difference in off-road ability but would be using it for camping and holidays with a (vapour) trip to North Africa a possibility. I've had a disco and it disintegrated , so I don't want another.

Any comments from anyone who drives a 110 as an everyday vehicle would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I had to sell my 110 when i had my bike accident, couldn't work for over a year so needed the money.

I managed to save up enough for a 90 a bit back, but it wasn't the same so bought my old Rangey back again and sold the 90 on.

The 90 doesn't handle as well as the 110, is much more bouncy and you can't carry bugger all!

My 110 was wonderful; the dogs had loads of room in the back, it absorbed bumps like they weren't there, fantastic visibility and very good fuel economy.

If i can find a picture i'll post one up.

There were downsides, the biggest one being parking in Hereford where the two biggest car parks are a multi storey and an underground one. The height is fine in the multi-storey but you simply couldn't turn to get up the ramps whereas you could turn in the underground one but struggled under the entrance!

The heater needs upgrading to one of the aluminium ones as it's a bit weak, but it does heat the cab just enough. You can't just jump in and zoom off in the cold weather though, it has to get 'up to temperature'!

Insurance was cheap, parts were cheap and when we can afford it we'll have another!

Have forgot the various Defenders i have had,,

If space is not a high priority , a 90 is not as "stiff" a drive than the 110, and is certainly more "chuckable" but as stated above, the 110 does not pitch around as much as a 90

I need the space, did try a few 110 DC, which just did not work for me, as i also need load length ! and the tailgate/canopy was a pain !!

Also the rear seats did not feel as comfortable as in a station wagon ?? but then i never sit in the back ! As a daily driver, the 110 has proved not problem , allowing for the steering lock

Guest wunntenn

I commuted 130 miles a day for a few years using my 110 Hard Top, 200 TDi and GKN overdrive and a lot of closed cell foam insulation on all panels, roof, and under front mats and on bulkhead. It was (still is!) quiet, comfortable and relaxing, and the radio was easily listened to and enjoyed, and when it snowed like a bugger I just kept on cruising. I'm converting at present for arrival of a new toddler (first one) and I'm doing the home carer thing so its nursery and shopping trips for the two of us in the 110, with dog in the back in her cage. Bags of space, and when I'm working away from home I regularly kip in it. Who'd want anything else!?