clutches

white90

Borg and Beck were sold a couple of years ago and split in two. The old (good) B and B stuff is now sold as A P Driveline. Anything you buy now as Borg and Beck is made by another company altogether and in my experiance is very poor quality.

Interesting - that maybe explains a fair bit, gald my B&B is 5 yrs old then :lol:

Nige

i run a paddle clutch in my 300bhp lancer (standard clutch gives up very quickly) and as long as you stick with a 6 paddle you should be able to slip it slightly (usally a bit noisey) dont be tempted with a 3paddle , they are like switches either on or off , dont know if they do them for landrovers but i run an Alcon , made in the uk and as far as i know do custom work ,

Borg and Beck were sold a couple of years ago and split in two. The old (good) B and B stuff is now sold as A P Driveline. Anything you buy now as Borg and Beck is made by another company altogether and in my experiance is very poor quality.

The history is a bit more complicated:

- about 70 something years ago Borg & Beck (B&B) was founded, same place where it is today, at Leamington

- 1967 - BBA Group was founded - Automotive Products (AP UK) being part of the group - AP UK bought B&B

- 1996 - BBA group sells AP UK and another group is formed: Automotive Products Group ( from AP UK + AP Iberica + AP Italia)

- at some point in time, don't know exactly, Borg & Beck becomes a brand name and this is what it remained all along this time: a brand name with an associated license to use that name

- 2000 - Automotive Products Group sells all their distribution business, both for clutches and for brakes (Lockheed) to DELPHI. The Borg & Beck brand name becomes also property of DELPHI

- AFAIK DELPHI started selling the clutches with the big B&B brand name on the box but there's a Delphi logo in a corner - what I know for sure is that Delphi rebranded everything they could except the brand names they bought (Delphi Lockheed being another example).

- 2002 - AP Group sells 2 of its 3 companies manufacturing clutches, AP UK and AP Iberica to a group of US investors and a new company is founded: DRIVELINE HOLDING. So AP UK becomes AP Driveline Technology

- end of 2005 - Delphi retires from the clutch business but, strangely, decides to keep the B&B brand name (licence) even they are not using it.

- 2006 (not sure) Magal Engineering buys AP Driveline Technologies.

All this time up until the end of 2005 AP Driveline Technologies (or whatever their name was) built the clutches under the Delphi owned Borg & Beck license.

Now that the license is dead but not buried, AP DT manufactures and sells the clutches under their own name.

Guest chris_mayer

Hi guys, just had a read through this thread as i am struggling to find a good clutch for my 90. I ran a standard plate in my 200tdi/lt77 combo for over 12 months and was perfectly fine. This however is when i was running 36.5" fedimas (simex copies) and 4.11 gearing. I am now going to be running 4.88 gearing and 44" boggers so my weakpoint in the driveline is going to be the clutch.

I am liking the sound of a paddle clutch but have never driven anything with one fitted. This vehicle is obviously not for road use at all, but i would like to know how it is going to handle when driving steep but slow and twisty sections where you are climbing over things and clutch control is going to be quite important to keep a smooth constant speed without going forward too fast or the vehicle wanting to roll back. Granted a lot of this will be affected with me having the right gearing set up.

Is it worth looking at an ap clutch? I rung my motaparts supplier and they said all borg and becker clutches for 90, 110 and 130 are all the same part number now and going by whats been said on this thread so far they probably want staying clear of for what i doing.

I do realise that having a heavier duty clutch is going to put some fair amount more stress on the gbox and tbox, but that is something i am going to have to live with until i can be persuaded to go for a zf24 and a bigger engine!

Any help appreciated

Chris

Hi guys, just had a read through this thread as i am struggling to find a good clutch for my 90. I ran a standard plate in my 200tdi/lt77 combo for over 12 months and was perfectly fine. This however is when i was running 36.5" fedimas (simex copies) and 4.11 gearing. I am now going to be running 4.88 gearing and 44" boggers so my weakpoint in the driveline is going to be the clutch.

I am liking the sound of a paddle clutch but have never driven anything with one fitted. This vehicle is obviously not for road use at all, but i would like to know how it is going to handle when driving steep but slow and twisty sections where you are climbing over things and clutch control is going to be quite important to keep a smooth constant speed without going forward too fast or the vehicle wanting to roll back. Granted a lot of this will be affected with me having the right gearing set up.

Is it worth looking at an ap clutch? I rung my motaparts supplier and they said all borg and becker clutches for 90, 110 and 130 are all the same part number now and going by whats been said on this thread so far they probably want staying clear of for what i doing.

I do realise that having a heavier duty clutch is going to put some fair amount more stress on the gbox and tbox, but that is something i am going to have to live with until i can be persuaded to go for a zf24 and a bigger engine!

Any help appreciated

Chris

6 paddfle with centre springs ONLY do not as said get an unsprung one, or a 3 paddle or a HC Clamping cover .

With a std cover and a 6 paddler sprung you'll be fine with a few adjustments to driving stylee, the more you try to slip it - and make it hot - and give less time to cool the more clampy it gets, but yes you can control as per a normal clutch, but only for so long, then it needs to cool a tad - which doesn't take too long, its a matter of compromise, but not as much as you would think, people have driven mine and do not know it has a 6p sprung cermaic paddle plate etc :)

nige

I have only scanned a few posts so sorry if this has already been said

I've had this conversation before a few years ago

There is nothing wrong with your clutch set up

Your diff ratio is too high until you do something about it you will still wear clutches massively no matter how much you spend on better quality.

Remember the drop box verses low ratio 4.1's / 4.75 R&P......

My auto box clutches are never struggling to work like that did on standard gearing diffs

Fit a set of 4.1 R&P and all you clutch problems will disappear I garntee it

Thanks Jules but the last clutch lasted 50k with lots and lots ofoffroad work

this one I think was very badly adjusted by me

plus I have a crawler box so lower diff ratios would see the car not actually moving in 1st it would be so slow :)

:lol: I see your point but I had this problem with Auto boxes getting very hot very fast and it was the reduced diffs which cured it

but the damage I would suggest is being done in high ratio and not in low or off road.

But on road pull away and the tiny extra but of slip you have to give to pull off smoothly with the 35" tyres running through 3.5 diffs.

I could be wrong but as the tyre size increases say 33 to 35 the rotational load to turn the shaft increases exponentially

Unless you did 50,000 miles on Simex :huh: or the first 40,000 was on you previous tyres and the rest on the bigger simex

also my LSE technically on its 35" tyres and its 4.75 diffs, The engine revs and gear at 30mph is the same now as it was when it left the factory on 205/16. so my speedo is spot on believe it or not

(my 35's are actually 34 so I'm a tiny but under geared)

Tony,

Are you saying that the push rod was adjusted so that the master cylinder had 15mm of preload ? :blink: …….. if yes, than that will most likely be the cause of the problem.

It depends on how much wear you have put on the clutch with it adjusted like that……..

I never bother with the measurements, I just use hand pressure on the pedal and adjust to free play to my liking ;)

:)

Ian

i run a paddle clutch in my 300bhp lancer (standard clutch gives up very quickly) and as long as you stick with a 6 paddle you should be able to slip it slightly (usally a bit noisey) dont be tempted with a 3paddle , they are like switches either on or off , dont know if they do them for landrovers but i run an Alcon , made in the uk and as far as i know do custom work ,

as a slight stray,, Sure TC won't mind

Also run a Alcon paddle clutch

post-14-1204124209_thumb.jpg

last about 2 events :(

Wear over 300 miles will be minimal as I suspect it was only slipping under high load...........it is quite possible it has only began to slip as the plate is now fully bedded in ..................

Now that you have the adjustment correct, take it out and get it warm, then try a few large hills in high gears and see what happens...........

Also you could use a slight incline, change up a cog or two and then floor it..................

:)

Ian

Thanks Jules but the last clutch lasted 50k with lots and lots ofoffroad work

this one I think was very badly adjusted by me

plus I have a crawler box so lower diff ratios would see the car not actually moving in 1st it would be so slow :)

Tony have you done 50,000 miles in three years. cause i could have sworn we had this chat three years ago when i put my 4.7 ring and pinons in and you put your low box in. That was all started because of the same problem that you have now :huh: we had long decsuions as to which was better . Seems a bit of deja vu to me :D

Things have moved on since you were here Ali :)

this clutch has lasted 300miles so I'm assuming some thing else is wrong (oil contamination/heat)

the first clutch was installed by the supplying dealer the 90 had 98k on the clock it now has 146k the current clutch has covered 300miles

does that cover it?

Hi Tony,

I admit that I haven't read the whole thread in detail, so forgive me if it has been covered earlier. The only other thing I can think of is the possibility of a failure in the clutch hose internally. Occasionally the hose can delaminate on the inside, and the delamination acts like a one way valve. After you press the clutch and then release the pedal, not all the pressure in the slave cylinder is released back to the master cylinder if the delaminated hose obstructs the flow. The result is that the clutch doesn't clamp tightly as there is still some pressure on the pressure plate.

It is a little unlikely, but it has happened to me once, and I know it has happened to other vehicles. Can happen to clutch or brake hoses.

Regards,

Diff

well i have read the whole blinking thread and still dont understand how to adjust the push rod free play to 1.5mm despite Ralph, Matt and Ian suggestions. My clutch doesnt slip but bits close to the top so was thinking of adjusting it, i just dont get how you know where to set the lock nuts and then set the 1.5mm