Aux Lighting

Guest diesel_jim

I have 2 spots on the winch/nudgebar

none on the roof (as yet), i tried some and after about 1/4 mile got totally fed up with having an illuminated bonnet, so chucked them off, but on the 110 i'm building i'll probably have a roofrack, so can mount the spots higher and slightly further back, we'll see how it pans out. but a pair of 130watt KC daylighters on the front more than does the trick for me.

2 work lights on the back, for reversing and general "doing stuff round the back" :moglite::moglite::moglite:

inside: flexible map light on passenger side. going to fit a/some striplight/s in the back of the 110, not sure yet whether to go "flourescent" or LED... probably LED, much less current draw.

Me too. I had roof lights on the front of my old Discovery for over five years but only actually needed them a handful of times - mostly on a trip to Norway where we came across lots of unlit tunnels.

They always looked cool on the Camel Trophy videos but in general day to day use serve very little purpose.

Rear work lights, on the other hand, I find to be very useful.

...none on the roof (as yet), i tried some and after about 1/4 mile got totally fed up with having an illuminated bonnet, ...

Hasn't someone just launched some lights with a cowling that keeps the bonnet in shade?

I find myself driving in fog quite a lot so a set of lights mounted on the grille/bumper is on my list.

I can imagine that a rear light is very useful as well - I'll add that to my (ever expading) wish list.

Got 2 spots on the A-Bar wired into high beam so used almost daily, and 4 more on the roofbar. Never use the 4 on the roof, even when I off-road after dark (although they do make my vehicle look awesome, so dont want to get rid of them!!).

Just ordered a worklight for the rear.

Will be getting round to the interior when I finally decide on what to do about storage space in the rear now that I have taken the seats out. Quite like this passenger map light, but not given it much thought yet really.

2 genuine Land Rover spots on an "A" bar & a good work light on the rear for reversing.

But a word of advice. If a bulb goes in one of the spots I am stuffed because the lights are held together with mild steel screws which are totally rusted up and impossible to undo. Only chance I will have if I can drill them out.

So whatever you get check they are put together with stainless screws. Give the genuine Land Rover lights a miss! That is unless they have improved the quality.

MINESAPINT

My interior lights are white marker lights. They do the job very well.

I did buy two of these http://www.ardentdl.com/searchresults.asp?sub_category_id=13 The 25 quid one. I gave one away because the light was so good.

I attatch them to the side of my Defender with Velcro.

mike

Not quite the same as a Defender but one good mod for my Disco was to fit a map light to the map pockets above the passengers head. I fitted one to my last 90 , some of us cant afford sat nav and rely on she nav. :P

I too have a map light fitted. A pity I couldn't get hold of a Butler 18" one and had to make do with an Avanti.

I do use a GPS. I now wouldn't go the places I do without one.

HOWEVER

Margaret uses a map to shew is where to go. I use a GPS to tell me where I am. :rolleyes::P

mike

I run 6 x 55watt el-cheapo square spots on the cage, supplied by 2 x 25amp multicore cable (for left 3 and right 3) switched via 2 x 70 amp relays fed from a fused heavy gauge feed from the starter, all connections soldered and heatshrunk for minimal power loss.

I realise the relays are totally overkill in amps dept. but the 70 amp units are a lot more robust inside than the 30amp.

I used to have 2 x 100w wipacs on the old a-bar (also relayed, etc), switching them on / off made hardly any difference compared to the roof lights.

It does light up the bonnet but doesn't bother me, got used to it after a while.

If you like crashing about in the woods :lol: consider a low position or a bar run across the top to avoid damage from branches.

Well I got me two lightforce lights (relayed) on the front wired into the high beam on a switch, so I can go high beam with or without.

Also have 4 spot's to add to the roof, two work lights at the back (LED's), then I have swapped all the side lights / indicators / fog / reverse to LED's and the main lights to XEON. Interior light has been switched to a LED with an additional map light.

post-4517-1204247421.jpg

Looks like we've all got pretty much the same.

I've 2 100w lights on the roof, switchable, wired to the head lights. They light up the bonnet a bit but to be honest it don't bother me at all. Brilliant for country roads when there's no traffic, and silver X-trails that pull out in front if me, as happened lat night :angry:. Wouldn't be without them.

Also have a 100w rear work light, useful for reversing and lamping white van man tailgaiters :lol:.

Recently got an aircraft map light bolted to the dash. Am on the lookout for suitable inside lights for the 110, though pointing the rear work light in the rear door works well.

In fog or falling snow on the public higway.

Anywhere off the public highway at any other time.

mike

I thought roof lights were illegal for use on the road at anytime, but I did wonder why some lorries have them...

I got four of those bullet proof, waterproof super beam lights off Jez a while back. I must get round to fitting two on the front of the 90.