winch ropes

white90

11mm on the front, Giggled/twin XP's and not snapped it yet, it will however pull trees down................

Rear 9.5mm - mainly the smaller size for quantity on the drum ( Warn XP )

A have snapped 9.5mm in the past and seen it snapped by numerous other users - 11 or 12 is the way to go

Lee

I have 400ft of 11mm Plasma12 because it was free, and around 80ft of 14mm(ish) also because it was free.

If I were to buy some then I would buy 14mm in the longest length that my drums could take, though if I had standard length and diameter drums then I would settle for 12mm or 11mm to provide a usable length

I've never snapped a rope but use(d) the winches rarely so that may account for the lack of damage

David the rope is always meticulously cleaned after each event,

and I have broken the front a few times now each time it is getting shorter.

9.5mm Plasma12 straight pulls no interference with the rope from trees/rocks

the winch just pulls then bang the rope snaps. normally 6-8 ft from the hook

Hi,

Well here we are again!

It really depends on the way that the line has been used - I suppose it is like when a half shaft breaks.

It is not neccessarily when you would expect it and can be due to previous abuse that you were unaware of, or has slipped your memory.

So, I suppose what I am trying to say is that a straight pull, without any serious stresses may be the final straw that breaks the line/camel.

If an elderly line breaks for no apparent reason, then breaks again I would surmise it has reached the end of its working life and consign it to the bin! No matter how clean it appears.

It is old, worn and tired out - a bit like me!!!

If you are in doubt - send a bit, or the whole line to me, Iwill inspect it and give you a truthfull evaluatiuon of condition at no charge - I will even pay for the return of it to its owner.

Can't be fairer than that.

Regards,

Andy thomlinson.

the winch just pulls then bang the rope snaps. normally 6-8 ft from the hook

Yep,, ditto, about the same place,,

Thanks for that offer Andy, Tony,, do you want another couple of bits ??, i can put them on the carrier if you want me to send up ??

Andy - one thing that came up in the other thread recently was about pre-stretching, do synthetic ropes need pre-stretching or are they already done?? (i know yachty ropes of similar kind are pre-stretched)

Interesting point you raise!

Under normal operating conditions for Plasma when used for industrial & commercial applications & 4x4 applications - the action of first time use is sufficient to tension the line for use.

However - when destruction testing synthetics a completely different technique to wire must be used as follows:-

A basic test procedure for Plasma

Sample preparation:

Sample should be made with buried lockstitch eye splices.

Eyes to be minimum 3x pin diameter

Splice tails are recommended at 21x circumference with smooth taper last 7x

circ.

Clear rope between ends of splice tails should be a minimum of 5 feet

(1525mm).

Test procedure:

Insert sample in test apparatus.

Insure there is no twist in sample.

Precycle 10 times at 55% published minimum tensile strength (51.4 kN for

11mm Plasma rope).

Let rest 5 - 10 minutes.

Pull to destruction.

If you are in any doubt regarding the above instructions please contact Ruftraks UK Limited.

If one of my customers decide to destruction test Plasma - this is what I send them.

Hope this helps.

Andy Thomlinson.

To get the most out of my ropes I turn them after 12 months , As its usualy the first 50 foot that gets used/abused .

That's a good idea.

I use 10mm Dyneema-Bowrope and have had no problems. It was what Bowyer recommended for a Milemarker (I was going to get 9mm)

I guess its just general wear and damage on the rope that is not obvious …….. you know, the odd strand here and there all within a short space of each other………..I guess also that this is more likely to occur at 6 to 8 feet from the hook………….together with unnoticed abrasion...........

Andy…………….. IIRC I read somewhere (I think from some manufacturers blurb) that pulling an angle the rope becomes damaged internally at the point of the angle (i.e the hawse) ………. Something to do with strands being broken on the inside of the weave……..the more acute the angle the worse it is………………

I am running 12mm, but may well go back to 11mm as 12 seems a little OTT……….

:)

Ian

Hi,

You can - but it will fill the drum to capacity and if doing anything other than a dead straight pull, will bunch & damage the milemarker - so I ain't bothered my plasma will survive - your winch won't!

Go with 85 ft x 11mm if that is the gauge you want.

I would recommend 100ft x 9.5mm Plasma for this winch as it has a nominal breaking strain of 17,500lbs, twice the stall of your winch on the first layer..

Regards,

Andy.

I went with 80ft of 11mm as 12mm on my small MM drum would have meant using a pretty small length... (60ft ish?)

My old 10mm went bang quite regularly so I would definitely say 11mm as a minimum. You can get 100ft of 11mm on the drum as used by the Army etc...

Shrek

Hi TJ101/White 90,

I have now recieved you line samples - thanks.

What I really need to do is talk to you both to discuss these.

• I have 1 bit from White 90 from the hook end that has been unspliced.
    I have 2 bits form TJ101, one piece from either end of the line?

Lets talk soon.

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson

Hi TJ101/White 90,

I have now recieved you line samples - thanks.

What I really need to do is talk to you both to discuss these.

• I have 1 bit from White 90 from the hook end that has been unspliced.
    I have 2 bits form TJ101, one piece from either end of the line?

Lets talk soon.

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson

Andy I can call you if you let me have a number via PM