Reversing disco rims

Guest mortus

if all the welds are cut, it should (don't hold me to that) be fairly easy to remove the centres.. a sledge really ought to have done it.

Go around the welds once more and then get a bigger slegde :rolleyes:

I have and old hub that i bolt to the centre and have then welded a lump of thick plate to the back to hit with the sledge, its far more effective than wood as it doesnt absorb much energy.

And keep trying :lol:

Wot he says. Grind until you can see a hairline crack through the weld (you need to grind more than you'd ever think off) and my method is to stand a large oak log in the rim and hit with the sledge hammer. Once you've ground enough of the weld out they actually come out fairly easily.

Jon

Is it legal to fiddle with wheel rims like thin in the Uk? In Ireland this practice is illegal with any welding to wheel rims needing an engineers certification and a retest of items under Doe? (mot). Insurance companies love to hear of this mod also as its open season on the pooor guy trying to insure the truck also.

ok i'm gonna sound stupid but why reverse the rims?

Well a Simple Answer is that by reversing the rims you are moving the position of the "Hub" part of the wheel relative to the "Rim" part and hence you change the "Offset" of the wheel which of course in turn changes how far the wheels now stick out from the vehicle.

Hope that Helps

Lyndon

i have done a few,i don,t like the sledge hammer method,i have access to a lathe and mont my rims in an old hub,cut the weld away plus 15mm of wheel centre,then press the centre out on a press,they usually go with a fair old bang,sledge hammering them can distort and fracture the centre,only my two penneth worth. :ph34r::ph34r:

• 10 months later...

i recently asked the same thing on our club website and someone posted up that the ldv convoy uses the same wheel on the twin wheeled back axles, just the outside one is flipped around.

they centre the studs on them by using little cone washer inserts on the studs. Simple solution and one i am going to look at before this years trialling starts.