trackrod bar clearance

doctorlv1

as you cam see by one of the the photos that i carnt put a straight bar on . iv been thinkin ov boltin the bar from underneth instead ov boltin from the top .i should av clearance from the spring but i will lose ground clerance.do you think that will sort it out.thanks

as you cam see by one of the the photos that i carnt put a straight bar on . iv been thinkin ov boltin the bar from underneth instead ov boltin from the top .i should av clearance from the spring but i will lose ground clerance.do you think that will sort it out.thanks

The track-rod ends and the holes they fit into are tapered so they will only fit one way round.

The problem you have here is that its not just the track rod that is the problem. The track rod is simply the symptom.

Take a piccy that will show us what angle the diff is currently sat at, but in short, the problem appears to be that whoever did this conversion welded the spring mounts onto the axle at the wrong angle. At the very least you will need to remove the axle, cut the mounts off and re-weld them on at a better angle, but you need to be careful not to rotate the axle too far as it'll remove the self centreing ability of the steering, which in itself is dangerous. However you may also need to pack the axle tube up, away from the leaf springs to gain sufficient clearance.

What you have there at the moment can only be described as dangerous!

Jon

"Take a piccy that will show us what angle the diff is currently sat at"

Probably the best way of doing this is to jack under the RH spring, just high enough to remove the drivers side wheel. Now take a side view of the differential housing, the view that would normally be blocked by the wheel. Include the ground in the picture. What the guys are looking for is whether the nose of the differential (where the propshaft attaches) is pointing at the ground, or up at the gearbox.

Lifted as described the axle will be near enough normal ride height.

It might be also be useful, if you have the kit, to lift the chassis high enough for both front wheels to leave the ground. The stands will be under the chassis, with the axle hanging as far down as possible.

Take another side view of the differential housing through the view normally blocked by the wheel.

Again, include some horizontal reference if you can, so they can make a judgement of the angle the diff is currently sat at.

Hope This Helps

where the track rod attaches to the swivel housings looks far too angled down to me compared to what memory serves it should be.

if it transpires that the diff angle isnt that far off, i would say it is perfectly conceivable that the swivel/hub assemblies have been bolted onto the axle tubes one hole too far round

looking at that caster angle, it must be frightfully heavy on the steering anyway, definitely not helped by 'components' like that

Okay. Here's the kind of angle your looking for (and if anything it should be about 3 degrees steeper as this pic is with extended shackles)

If my memory is corrent, you want the diff to be angled 10 degrees above horizontal to give you a standard castor angle of 3 degrees

If you diff has been set at horizontal that would give you a castor of 13 degrees :blink: . I have run with 6 degrees and i thought that was bad enough

Before any one says it, i know my shocks are the wrong way up :P

P1010100.jpg

with that angle your track rod would clip the leaf springs. With 20mm plus blocks ( or increased saddle height as i did) you will have this clearance.

Note im using a solid track rod that is 30mm diameter, where as a standard rangie/disco is about 22mm.

DSCF0104.jpg

The diff nose angle looks ok to me. You have an extended saddle under the spring seat - this is done so that the link rod goes over the top of the springs, but they have been altered to still pass underneath them. If you look at the last picture - the rod is almost high enough to clear over the top of the springs. If the saddle was a bit deeper it would do so and a normal straight rod would fit.

You only need another 15mm on the saddle by the looks of it.

Les.

That picture is about the size of a postage stamp with a picture of a bent cocktail stick on it :rtfm:

Couldn't you 'do a reads90' and make it bigger than Australia? I'm putting Defender axles on a superior leafer :P , so ideas are what I need.

Les.

"superior leafer" i hear that :lol:

The best i can do is link to the companies shop

http://82.0.157.13/jrfabs/shop.htm

and this distorted mess

post-1095-1205845494_thumb.jpg

here are some pics .iv turnde the swivel housin one bolt forward but it is now in the middle ov the diff/but the holes dont match up/iv dun this on the o/s.cud i put some 20mm plate under the springs that axle that shud give me clearance

post-7955-1205948324_thumb.jpg

post-7955-1205948357_thumb.jpg

post-7955-1205948392_thumb.jpg

Put the swivel in the position it's supposed to be in, lay the link rod (a normal one), on the springs and measure how much it is out, then add 5-10mm. Put a spacer plate between the bottom of the axle and the top of the spring to get the gap you need. Bear in mind that there's a locating peg into the axle case, and you will have to duplicate it to prevent the axle from moving forwards or backwards. This is assuming you want the link rod on top of the springs.

Les.