VED Rates/polls and alike

Hi All,

Having looked at the actual VED table in the Budget Report it would appear that the then new VED bands will be applied in 2009/10 to ALL vehicles registered after 1 March 2001 (unless I am mistaken). It is therefore going to be applied retrospectively........ VERY NASTY and sets a dangerous precedent for future taxation / legislation which needs to be strongly resisted.

So, lets get signed up to the petition.

Whilst imposing a new banding on vehicles may possibly be supportable for new vehicles (the much vaunted "informed choice" option) how can this possibly be fair to those people who purchased a vehicle back as far as 2001!

Regards,

Scrapper

It's only gone up if you buy a newer one.

For know the older once are ok only go's up £5-10 a year <_<

And only if the newer one is a CSW from the looks of it.

My new 90 hardtop as a commercial is around £200. It's cars they don't like.

Hi All,

Having looked at the actual VED table in the Budget Report it would appear that the then new VED bands will be applied in 2009/10 to ALL vehicles registered after 1 March 2001 (unless I am mistaken). It is therefore going to be applied retrospectively........ VERY NASTY and sets a dangerous precedent for future taxation / legislation which needs to be strongly resisted.

Scrapper

Do you have a link to this table, as I can't find it or google it.

Thanks,

Richard

These things may show opinion and work but how seriously would a government take it with

name (i'm sexy)

or name (Im a tw*t)

next to them?

just look at the list of names, the whole thing is undermined.

Hi Top 90,

The info I looked at was in the full budget document. www.hmtreasury.gov.uk/budget_08, full report. The actual detail is in Chapter A (pdf file). Not sure how to make links work, but the above web address should get you there.

Regards,

Scrapper

Top90, it is bad news I'm afraid.

Have a look at the attachment below which is taken from table A.8a on page 16 of the following document

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi...08_chaptera.pdf

Quoted from alt.fan.landrover:

"Table A.8a shows that the new bands apply to all cars registered after 1

Mar 2001. Be careful reading the table - the right-hand half is

expanded, so you can't just read straight across to see how much you'll

be paying."

Colin

--

www.reedx.net

post-129-1205402547_thumb.png

The thing that gets me is that it seems to be all about raising taxes rather than saving the environment. If it were really about reducing carbon emissions then there would be no VED and drivers of 'gas guzzlers' would be penalised for their choices by the amount tax on the amount of gas that their cars 'guzzle'. This would mean that I would not be hit all that hard as I do not do that any miles in the 110, whereas someone who chooses a less economical car and goes ahead and uses it willy nilly would be hit hard. Currently I am thinking about ditching wifes car and using the 110 for all of our motoring. Fuel economy is not that different and the tax, insurance, maintainance saving will cover the 110's extra running costs. Is that what the government want?

Am I alone in feeling powerless here? We are signing petitions to the PM which he will ignore when we should be the ones who control what the government does by personally telling our local MPs, who we pay for and elect, how we feel. I wonder if MPs consider themselves as representatives of the people in their constituencies or as part of their party machine, voting as they are told to by their leaders. Who runs this country - really? How does our 'democracy' compare to a dictatorship? Sooner or later the 'people' will work it out but what then, another Tiananmen square? I plan to leave the UK as soon as I reasonably can - and I think that is a sad thing.

Sorry for the political rant.

Chris

Top90, it is bad news I'm afraid.

Have a look at the attachment below which is taken from table A.8a on page 16 of the following document

Colin

--

www.reedx.net

Having read the sections before the table I have to say it does not look good for vehicles registed as 'cars' and with high emissions. :o

Richard

Once this has been in place for 5 to 10 years it will seriously restrict the second hand market for big cars.

There is no way I would buy an old disco for 3k if it cost over £400 per year to tax it... and that's exactly what they want.

These things may show opinion and work but how seriously would a government take it with

name (i'm sexy)

or name (Im a tw*t)

next to them?

just look at the list of names, the whole thing is undermined.

yes with people like that is it any wonder this country is going the way it is :angry:

as per Chris's post, Car Tax is such an arbitary way of trying to reduce cO2.

So if a single person who drives a car that emits 99g and does 30,000 miles a year, pays no tax, where as a family of 5 (and dog ;) ) that need a bigger car who do 15,000 miles a year pays 430 a year tax and if they buy new pay 950 in 1st year :rolleyes:

So small car driver emits 4752Kg p.a. (per person) and pays nothing

where the family emits 6120KG, 1224KG per person and pays 430 pounds

Seems fair to me :blink:

Steve

Does anyone know how I will be effected when I return to the UK one day with my 1985 90? I will be registering it here in Romania in the summer at stuid thousands of euros cost.. but some time I would want to come back with it to the UK. When I re-register it in the UK will I suddenly come into that high tax bracket? If thats the case I think I will keep it UK registered and keep poping back to the UK for MOTs. might be cheaper in the long run.

The clasic car tax exepmtion is another thing that pi$%#d me off. My car is soon approaching 25 years old and would have been tax exempt under the old rules, then they changed it from a rolling 25 years old to a fixed 1974 or somthing like that!!

It sucks!!

How does one find out if ones vehicle is Euro IV?

My 110 Doublecab is registered as a Light 4x4 Utility Light Goods Vehicle. Registered 23 Mar 2003 - Which band does it fall in to? Presumably it counts as a commercial? There doesn't seem to be much info on the web about banding or charging for commercials?

Guess I just have to wait for the bill?

Si

Guest WALFY
And only if the newer one is a CSW from the looks of it.

My new 90 hardtop as a commercial is around £200. It's cars they don't like.

When I looked at the time I ordered mine I was tempted to go the H/T route and then spec it up to XS trim level. It worked out dearer by about 100 quid but the wait was astronomical. I waited 16 weeks as it was. It now seems to be the way to go. Shame I didn't push my idea further :(