Another Insurance Question

najw

Having being the filling in an M1 sandwich this morning my truck is now officially ready to be laid to rest.

Given the age and condition of it and how cheap it is to replace my question is...

Do I have to notify the insurance company that its been involved in an accident or can I simply sell it for spares, buy another and move the policy over?

Also if the silly b*tch who sideswiped me into the side of an artic decides to claim on her insurance, will my insurance company query why I haven't made a claim?

TIA

As there are 3rd parties involved, it is your duty to report it to your insurance company as the lorry driver will be claiming against your policy...

Same principle as if she had gone into the back of you and you into the lorry. the lorry driver would claim from you and you from her...

Sa there are 3rd parties involved, it is your duty to report it to your insurance company as the lorry driver will be claiming against your policy...

Same principle as if she had gone into the back of you and you into the lorry. the lorry driver would claim from you and you from her...

That happened to me - I was shunted into a car and the guy in front of me claimed off my company's insurance.

I don't know what the final outcome was.

I'd tell them without delay. Although I'm sure you could just scrap it and replace it won't look good if they find out from another party about the accident.

Presumably details were exchanged so the other parties insurers will contact yours anyway

tell them straight away, but say it is not your intention to claim at this time...

I had a similar thing where a scally in a Clio drove into the back of me last year, trashed his car, but only chipped some hammerite off my tow bar...

I told my insurers, who sent me a note to say its on file but no claim had been filed, keeps it all nice and legal..

Guest diesel_jim

And don't forget to tell about your sore neck, and how you now can't sleep at night due to the nightmares and emotional stress and how your sex life is now ruined :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Having being the filling in an M1 sandwich this morning my truck is now officially ready to be laid to rest.

Do I have to notify the insurance company that its been involved in an accident or can I simply sell it for spares, buy another and move the policy over?

Also if the silly b*tch who sideswiped me into the side of an artic decides to claim on her insurance, will my insurance company query why I haven't made a claim?

You MUST report it, if only to get your story in first.

Collect carefully the evidence necessary to show that the silly b*tch was at fault. Photograph and caption the damage to your LR, the lorry and her car. Draw a map of the incident and collect witness details. Don't let poor driving cost you money by inaction.

You also need to claim against the silly b*tch's insurance for your costs and the lorry's costs. If you only have 3rd party insurance then you will only need the silly b*tch's insurance company permission to dispose of your vehicle. If you have comp, you will need permission of your own insurance company. Whoever settles your claim will own your vehicle, although there is nothing to stop you asking for salvage as part of the settlement, (although waste disposal legislation is making this harder and harder).

Incidentally, the settlement will only be for the basic vehicle, so remove all readily removable accessories soonest as these are yours, (document it if the LR has agreed value cover with specified accessories, photos and narrative).

Don't be bullied by either insurance company, you are entitled to be put back in the position you were in before the incident - here is where the legal protection/ 3rd party recovery polices can earn their corn.

......., (although waste disposal legislation is making this harder and harder).

Actually it may make it easier. The insurance company will have to pay to have it disposed of, but if you buy it off them you can dismantle it yourself.

I checked on the Environment Agency's (I think) website and it stated that this legislation is intended to apply to people dismantling vehicles for a living, not an individual who wants to strip his own vehicle.

You MUST report it, if only to get your story in first.

Collect carefully the evidence necessary to show that the silly b*tch was at fault. Photograph and caption the damage to your LR, the lorry and her car. Draw a map of the incident and collect witness details. Don't let poor driving cost you money by inaction.

Hi, im my experience it doesn't matter who reports the incident first. I reported an incident where an Ar*** hole drove into me whilst i was stationary in a carpark (he was looking in his glove box for something at the time!) With no witnesses, i reported it the next day, sent in the photo's of damage, drawing of the collission etc.

3 months later the other party still hadn't reported to their insurance, the to**er wanted to sort it out without going through the insurance at the scene, but with my car only being 2 months old i wasn't having any of it.

Ended up with the other party eventually reported it but claimed i'd run into him!!! With no witnesses it was stalemate and ended up being a 50/50 settlement and a loss of my no claims.

Witnesses are the key!!

Cheers,

Lee

It must be reported as the truck driver will claim from you as your vehicle hit his. The trucks claim will then be added to your claim against the other car. Unless you are quite happy to walk away with nothing at all and the loss of your vehicle then you should be claiming for the value of your vehicle and possibly a hire car to cover your transport needs, any injuries and any other costs arising from having to be off work, spending time getting it sorted, recovery of your vehicle, the disposal of your vehicle etc. If yours is written off then remove anything of value that is not part of the original vehicle.

And don't forget to tell about your sore neck, and how you now can't sleep at night due to the nightmares and emotional stress and how your sex life is now ruined :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Insurance companies have entire departments for dealing with such false claims these days. If you do try and blag it you will probably fail and end up looking like a tit with a very weak compensation offer for your written-off car.

Insurance companies have entire departments for dealing with such false claims these days. If you do try and blag it you will probably fail and end up looking like a tit with a very weak compensation offer for your written-off car.

Trust me it's not my style - I'm as honest as they come.

Thanks for all the advice - insurance company duly notified and all removeable goodies now removed - just the registration to deal with.

Incidentally there is 60 litres of diesel in the tank. If there are any forumeers in the Milton Keynes area who want to come and help themselves, I've got nothing to syphon it all into.

Incidentally there is 60 litres of diesel in the tank. If there are any forumeers in the Milton Keynes area who want to come and help themselves, I've got nothing to syphon it all into.

Always the way. I ended up with three second hand 20l jerry cans in much the same way. It was worth it to save the fuel.

Hmmm, Milton Keynes, 60l... I could just about get home with more than I started with... :)

Glad you are OK Neil. I have had a few 'non claim' bumps but you do have to tell the insurance co. If you do not claim then it should not affect future premiums.

Chris