Speedo doesn't work

muddymanok

My speedo no longer works in my S3 88" I've checked to see that it's connected at both ends which it is, I only put it on as new a year back, so what could it be ? any ideas greatly appreciated, also I hope it's not too difficult to fix.

Nick :unsure:

This won't help, at all, but...

Mine stopped working some months ago. The speedo cable was replaced by a brand new one, it worked for a few days, but then stopped working, again. I have no idea what it may be and I'm starting to accept the fact of living without a speedo (and milage/km-counting).

By the way, I was charged 30EUR for the new speedo cable.

Mine stopped working some months ago. The speedo cable was replaced by a brand new one, it worked for a few days, but then stopped working, again. I have no idea what it may be and I'm starting to accept the fact of living without a speedo (and milage/km-counting).

I've had this, the cable just needed re-seating at the transfer box end, it was almost as if the cable inner was SLIGHTLY too short, and needed to be JUST in the right place within the outer to work, been working fine ever since :)

My speedo no longer works in my S3 88" I've checked to see that it's connected at both ends which it is, I only put it on as new a year back, so what could it be ? any ideas greatly appreciated, also I hope it's not too difficult to fix.

Nick :unsure:

Obviously the first thing to check is the inner cable, if only a short length comes out then obviously its broken (you need a new inner at least - possibly a complete cable if there is a chance that the cause of the break be a kink/sharp bend or damage to, the outer cable), if the inner seems ok check for rounded off ends which should be square as previously mentioned.

Personally the most recent speedo failure I had – a couple of years ago – was caused by a pinion drive gear failure. The worm gear on the output shaft of the gearbox was in prestine condition but the teeth on the pinnion gear were so worn it just failed to engage. Two screws hold the pinnion housing in place its easy to withdraw - just make sure the pinnion -with the sqaure section end where the inner cable goes-comes out with the housing, as if badly worn it has been known and is possible for it to drop into the main output housing, which of course makes an easy job into a much bigger one ! In my case a new pinion soon put things back to normal....... ;)

Labradors, that reminds me - Another cause is the big nut on the end of the transfer box output shaft comes loose and the drive for the speedo slips, it's just held in place by friction.

To get at the nut drop the front end of the rear propshaft and there it is, in the centre of the handbrake drum.

Could always be worse. My spring and pin broke, so now mine just goes round and round in circles, or reverse circles if I back up. :blink:

HA HA HA..

I Had a speedo cable go on me due to a slight crack in the outer casing letting in water... froze the cable in the winter and twisted it right off.

Another due to rust and a sharp bend. Just bound for a few turns and snapped..

I've took the cable off at the g/box end and there is no sign of a square end, so either it's rounded off or the end has broken off, so it's another trip to paddocks in the morning for a new one.

Cheers,

Nick.

Yesterday I put a new cable on, and it worked ok, today nothing, zilch, zero absolutely bugger all, wouldn't mind so much but its a right fiddly little shizeter to screw the 3 screws back in and I lay in the pouring rain for ages trying to maintain my temper, oh well I suppose another year with no speedo can't hurt ?????????? lol

Nick.

:angry2:

If the new cable has broken i would check the speedo head to make sure its not partly siezed.

I would also check the routing of the cable make sure it is not touching the exhaust and is not kincked. also some suppliers like paddocks sell cables that are too short. cheers graham.

green 1962 2a swb

• 4 weeks later...

apologies if i'm jumping in the wrong place, most of the above sounds familiar.

Speedo stopped working, replaced cable worked for about 50mile then stopped working again.

Cable is OK speedo on the dash appears to beOK.

I have the Gearbox out at the moment so i've stripped the speedo drive down.

"What actually drives the speedo drive gear its just a loose fit obn the shaft?"

I assume bolting the cover back on pinches the gear on the ends rather than it being fixed onto the shaft.

Has anyone ever fitted this gear with a grub screw?

Any comments appreciated

Cheers

Tony